+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thursday Morning????

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Re: Thursday Morning????

The loss to the Southern Miss midgets shows we have a coaching problem.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Who do we have coming in for next year? He got some very good players for this year- and they are fun to watch. Success for next year will depend on who he brings in, and as far as I have seen, we only have 1 guy coming in so far. Hopefully that will change soon.
    That is because we only had one scholarship to offer in the early signing period and he filled it with a big man, which we obviously need. The coaches are recruiting like crazy right now and I am sure it will pay off come signing day.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    But don’t discount the way his teams have performed down the stretch and have finished every year. They consistently look apathetic. Perhaps there is a reason for that that should be explored and an attempt should be made to remedy that deficit... if of course that is in fact a problem.
    Agree with all of this!

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    That is because we only had one scholarship to offer in the early signing period and he filled it with a big man, which we obviously need. The coaches are recruiting like crazy right now and I am sure it will pay off come signing day.
    I am hoping you are correct. As I said, I am hoping for a better year. I have enjoyed watching the freshman, and hope he brings some new recruits like he has this past year.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Wish I agreed.

My issue with this team is a lack of effort in games. Consistently there is just and absence of any real effort. Very low energy and laxadasical play. Even Konkol himself has mentioned multiple times in post game interviews and on the coaches show. Not finishing is a lack of effort. When you are leading going into the last minute of the game and still lose, there is an issue. This has happened multiple times this season.

After scoring 4 measly points in 10 minutes of a game, you have to scratch you head and ask what is going on? Others on this board have mentioned that you will not find a more laid back HC in all of NCAA basketball than Konkol. To me, effort always comes from the top. He is very different from Mike White in this coaching aspect.

The other thing that burns me up is we don’t consistently play defense. This is a symptom of basketball of a whole I’m afraid. Nobody plays defense anymore. It’s all about offense and scoring.

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

Hard to knock this staff on recruiting. They have brought in 2 pretty talented classes. Getting the kids to stay and coaching them to achieve above their level...thats debatable. But thats most coaches around the country.

Does anyone really know why Sherman and Harris left? Not the butt-hurt fan reasons, but the real reasons.

You can reasonably assume why the others left.
    Q (sr), Robinson (sr) , Griffin (White), Walker (walk-on), Holden (White) and Sheppard (White)

But those 1st 2 were in this staff's 1st recruiting class and had all-conference potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post
    Hard to knock this staff on recruiting. They have brought in 2 pretty talented classes. Getting the kids to stay and coaching them to achieve above their level...thats debatable. But thats most coaches around the country.

Does anyone really know why Sherman and Harris left? Not the butt-hurt fan reasons, but the real reasons.

You can reasonably assume why the others left.
    Q (sr), Robinson (sr) , Griffin (White), Walker (walk-on), Holden (White) and Sheppard (White)

But those 1st 2 were in this staff's 1st recruiting class and had all-conference potential.
    Harris was upset about how he was being used as the STARTING 2 Guard and LEADING SCORER. His mom came and talked to Konkol and they decided he would leave. Had he stayed, he could have gotten all the shots he wanted. His attitude this year stunk and he showed no interest in defense.

Sherman had no interest in continuing to go to school or doing what it took to get remain eligible after all the transferring.

No Freshman come into this level of D1 basketball prepared to play defense, that is just a fact and part of our problem yes. Bracey was a better defender this year than last before getting hurt and AA has improved this year some on D. Again our biggest problem is not Konkol, it is that we are playing 4 FR and we have 1 post player. Phil Jackson isn't winning with this group, we don't have enough bodies at this point.

Varsity Bulldog deb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her gamedeb025 is on top of his/her game

No Freshman come into this level of D1 basketball prepared to play defense, that is just a fact and part of our problem yes. Bracey was a better defender this year than last before getting hurt and AA has improved this year some on D. Again our biggest problem is not Konkol, it is that we are playing 4 FR and we have 1 post player. Phil Jackson isn't winning with this group, we don't have enough bodies at this point.
    I agree with everything you said.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

HSherman had no interest in continuing to go to school or doing what it took to get remain eligible after all the transferring.
    That might be an understatement...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The good news is that Dave should be back to call baseball this weekend.

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

Harris was upset about how he was being used as the STARTING 2 Guard and LEADING SCORER. His mom came and talked to Konkol and they decided he would leave. Had he stayed, he could have gotten all the shots he wanted. His attitude this year stunk and he showed no interest in defense.

Sherman had no interest in continuing to go to school or doing what it took to get remain eligible after all the transferring.
    Im a coach from DFW and very familiar with Pemberton, Harris, Sherman and Powell. We're very protective of our own.
    You are mostly right about Sherman. Add in that he didnt want to play center and thats all he played at LT and he was under utilized (20mpg) and you have a recipe for xfer.

You miss the mark big time on Harris. Im not going to get into opinions (stank attitude, wanting to shoot all the shots) because I know that to be false and its not worthy of an anonymous debate. The "no defense" label is easy to throw around because few people understand or pay attention to good defense unless someone is getting a block, steal or charge. Harris rated as 1 of the best defensive players this year. Not my opinion...stats.

Points allowed Per Possession defended
    Harris - .705
    Boykins - 1.09
    Jean - .806
    Bracey - .762

FG% Def
    Harris - 34.1%
    Boykins - 46.6%
    Jean - 35.5%
    Bracey - 32%

%TO (% of possessions defended that led to TO)
    Harris - 19.7%
    Boykins - 9.4%
    Jean - 10.1%
    Bracey - 12.3%

I have more stats, but I think you get the picture. Feel free to hate every kid that stays/leaves the program for whatever reason you want. But dont try to convince others to do the same using false narratives.

DFW is a HOTBED full of talent right now. Will be hard to recruit when 2-3 kids transfer within a year. And it probably wouldve been 4 had Slim not retired. Something to think about.

I don't hate any kid that chooses to leave. It is within their right and I have no problem with it. I wish Harris and Sherman would have stayed, along with Stapelton and Griffin. This is the new NCAA basketball apparently where I think I read 800 players transferred last year.

Don't know where those stats came from but that is interesting. Maybe we need a new Defensive Coordinator-haha!

Wouldve been a helluva team with a motivated Sherman. Emphasis on motivated.

And that is the new NCAA. Back when we played, there was no social media or google...so if you didnt have connections...you werent going anywhere. Now...you know of every xfer and opening and have immediate access to kids/coaches via social media. Game changer.

And if the new rule is passed that will allow immediate eligibility for the 1st xfer...its going to separate the men from the boys when it comes to recruiting.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post
    Im a coach from DFW and very familiar with Pemberton, Harris, Sherman and Powell. We're very protective of our own.
    You are mostly right about Sherman. Add in that he didnt want to play center and thats all he played at LT and he was under utilized (20mpg) and you have a recipe for xfer. .....
    So, it isn't all about Team first? Some may say that is key, huh?

+ Reply to Thread