+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NIL question

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: NIL question

Can the university freely give/make available the images to the athletes when they don't own them?

That's the 64 million dollar question -

My guess is that the photogs own the copyrights to these images since the university doesn't pay them for them and the athletes would have to deal directly with the photogs who own the copyrights...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Top Texas prep QB has $2 million deal with some drink company. Expected to bypass Senior Year at (since UIL doesn't allow NIL with Texas HS athletes). I'm told Dad calling the shots to skip HS and head for the Ohio State.
    And the boy has grown up wanting to be a Longhorn all along. I smell trouble down the road in that household.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Of interest to me and my line of work:

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/colleg...e-immigration/

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Of interest to me and my line of work:

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/colleg...e-immigration/
    It's difficult for me to have sympathy for International Athletes that are frustrated with the NCAA "NIL" laws and rules here in the United States, when we don't even have all the kinks worked out yet for our own citizen athletes. The whole NIL issue is brand new. Everybody in the U.S. is still feeling their way through the maze called "NIL". Furthermore, these "international athletes" are guests of the United States, and America's tax paying citizens. Most are here on F-1 Student Visa's courtesy of the U.S. federal government, and most are getting a free education courtesy of the American Taxpayer.

But when did U.S taxpayers become obligated to make things even easier --or more "diverse" (to use their vernacular)-- for visiting International Athletes and students, who are ultimately scheduled to return home some day? The fact that Bolivian citizen Montalvo was "invited" to participate in an Emerging Leadership Seminar for professional development, was a good thing. The fact that she thought International Athletes were under-represented at the seminar-- is not. It smacks of ungratefulness, and is almost laughable. It's akin to me being invited to Dr Guice's nice home for dinner, and then taking the liberty of telling Dr Guice and his lovely wife what they need to change in their home to make it more appealing. Montalvo even recommends universities in the U.S. hire more International Athletes to alleviate such problems. My response: Of course she does. Never mind, most of these International Athletes are already getting a free ride to an American University that is supported and funded by American taxpayers.

There's an old saying in business, "if you don't like the way we run things here, you can always take your business across the street". Maybe the ungrateful Montalvo would be better served by simply being an "International Athlete" in Russia? Or Germany? Or Canada? Or Australia? Or China? Hey, I'm sure the Chinese Communist government is very interested in "NIL" opportunities for their visiting "International Students".

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    most are getting a free education courtesy of the American Taxpayer.
    Most are not. At least not past the level to which we've made the existence of our great higher educational system possible to begin with.

But I do think that overall this situation is less of the great injustice implied in parts of this article and more of an important area requiring some clarity. There are a lot of opportunities for employment that domestic students have always had that international students don't, that's just how the system is set up. So to that extent nobody is any worse off here. But this change is new, and highly publicized, and much of the media coverage has been imprecise (at best). We're also talking about college students here, so it's understandable that you'd see all this news saying "all athletes can profit" and your teammates getting all excited and be a little taken aback that it's much less clear for you. There are some additional grey areas that already existed, and need a little more policy guidance going forward (the reason for our restrictions on student visa status holder employment is to protect American jobs, and that tracks really well for something like your local McDonalds - but what job is a Tik-Tok influencer "stealing?").

This NIL thing (and the earlier case that got its teeth kicked in by the Supreme Court about limiting academic benefits) are good things I think, but it's important for International Students to remember that the existing immigration regs haven't gone away or been superseded by the NCAA loosening up on their rules. The thing I liked best about this article was the very good advice from the attorney for Int'l Students to go talk to the DSOs at their school.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

It's difficult for me to have sympathy for International Athletes that are frustrated with the NCAA "NIL" laws and rules here in the United States, when we don't even have all the kinks worked out yet for our own citizen athletes. The whole NIL issue is brand new. Everybody in the U.S. is still feeling their way through the maze called "NIL". Furthermore, these "international athletes" are guests of the United States, and America's tax paying citizens. Most are here on F-1 Student Visa's courtesy of the U.S. federal government, and most are getting a free education courtesy of the American Taxpayer.

But when did U.S taxpayers become obligated to make things even easier --or more "diverse" (to use their vernacular)-- for visiting International Athletes and students, who are ultimately scheduled to return home some day? The fact that Bolivian citizen Montalvo was "invited" to participate in an Emerging Leadership Seminar for professional development, was a good thing. The fact that she thought International Athletes were under-represented at the seminar-- is not. It smacks of ungratefulness, and is almost laughable. It's akin to me being invited to Dr Guice's nice home for dinner, and then taking the liberty of telling Dr Guice and his lovely wife what they need to change in their home to make it more appealing. Montalvo even recommends universities in the U.S. hire more International Athletes to alleviate such problems. My response: Of course she does. Never mind, most of these International Athletes are already getting a free ride to an American University that is supported and funded by American taxpayers.

There's an old saying in business, "if you don't like the way we run things here, you can always take your business across the street". Maybe the ungrateful Montalvo would be better served by simply being an "International Athlete" in Russia? Or Germany? Or Canada? Or Australia? Or China? Hey, I'm sure the Chinese Communist government is very interested in "NIL" opportunities for their visiting "International Students".
    You made some very solid points.

Y'all see that Walk-Ons is going to have actual walk-ons endorse them? That's the kind of thing I was hoping for in all this.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Y'all see that Walk-Ons is going to have actual walk-ons endorse them? That's the kind of thing I was hoping for in all this.
    Yeah, that's great!

Hebert got a promotional deal! I don't know what flexfit cafe is, but they picked a good representative.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Health, protein, energy shakes.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Fresno State twins ink national deal. QB's starting a company.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...image-likeness
    Hmmm. More cute, blonde, females sign another deal. I'm no Oliver Wendell Holmes, but I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Now they are taking their 4 million plus followers to Miami. Oh by the way they will still be playing basketball.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...etball-program

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Got a Jr. Loftin VSN long-sleeve t-shirt (small) for sale.
    Name your plrice.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

https://www.wafb.com/2022/04/07/lhsa...-nil-benefits/

Just including this since this thread popped back up.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Got a Jr. Loftin VSN long-sleeve t-shirt (small) for sale.
    Name your plrice.
    My price? Pay me $250 and I'll take the shirt off your hands. No need to thank me...

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    Now they are taking their 4 million plus followers to Miami. Oh by the way they will still be playing basketball.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...etball-program
    They may need to change the commercials about getting an education because everyone will not go pro. Now you can do something to endear yourself and get an NIL and have all the money you will need to live on after college without playing a pro sport- or getting an education for that matter. This is all so out of hand! It will get where it isn't even fun to watch if the rich keep getting richer and the smaller schools have no way to compete.

+ Reply to Thread