+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Request for fellow beer snobs..

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: Request for fellow beer snobs..

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I was just in Koblenz (river cruise). It's a gorgeous town where the Rhine River meets the Mosel River. Love the area's beers and white wines of course. But I still prefer the Belgium beers over the German or Czech.
    I have to agree with you on the Belgium beers. I have become a big fan. I can get Omer and Brooklyn Local 1 at the HEB here for a decent price. While Brooklyn Local 1 is brewed in the USA, it does have the Belgium beer quality. I have a Trapist waiting for me to indulge when I get in the proper mood.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    I spent a little while in Germany while in the service. I can say that I never had a bad drink or meal the whole time I was there. I didn't get to do a lot of traveling because I was so busy most of the time. I really grew to like the local brew at Spangdahlem AB, Bitburger Pils. My landlord aways pulled out a BIG bottle of it when I went over to pay the rent. On a lighter side in the Hunsrook sp? the Konigsbacker was lighter but was excellent with a great German meal. If you go to Germany be sure to visit Koblenz. They have a beer glass factory where many of the beer companies get their glasses. I got quite a few there and wish that I had more.
    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    I was just in Koblenz (river cruise). It's a gorgeous town where the Rhine River meets the Mosel River. Love the area's beers and white wines of course. But I still prefer the Belgium beers over the German or Czech.
    Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    I have to agree with you on the Belgium beers. I have become a big fan. I can get Omer and Brooklyn Local 1 at the HEB here for a decent price. While Brooklyn Local 1 is brewed in the USA, it does have the Belgium beer quality. I have a Trapist waiting for me to indulge when I get in the proper mood.
    I absolutely loved the Brugse Zot Blond when there. Also the sweetness of the Trappist can get overwhelming at times IMHO but are good.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Brugse Zot is okay out of the bottle, but is very good when get it on tap from the De Halve Maan brewery.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Brugse Zot is okay out of the bottle, but is very good when get it on tap from the De Halve Maan brewery.
    That's what I'm talking about. Been there!
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 08-24-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Enjoyed a Rochefort 10 our of a Rochefort chalice last night. Delicious, especially as it warmed. Great dark fruit flavors (figs, raisins, plum, currants) with a nice roasted barley backbone and good belgian yeast fruitiness.

A few fairly well-known facts for the non-initiated.
    1. In Belgium, all beers are served in a special glass designed by the brewer to accentuate the particular flavor and style of the beer. This is a really big deal in Belgium and bartenders will routinely refuse to serve a beer if they don't have the proper glass. We went to this great tucked-away bar where we ordered my favorite saison, Brasserie DuPont's Avec Les Bon Voeux. They brought the beer out in a basket-like pourer (so that the beer rested on its side, but slightly upright) and they brought the proper glasses out on a tray with a small serving of cheese that paired well with the beer. I love how seriously they take their beer.
    2. For a beer to be labeled a "Trappist" beer, it has to come from one of the 8 officially recognized Trappist brewery monasteries (Chimay, Orval, Westmalle, Rochefort, Westvleteren, Achel, La Trappe, Mariawald). All are in Belgium, except La Trappe is in the Netherlands and Mariawald is in Germany. All of these trappist brewers have to meet certain criteria including: the beer has to be brewed within the monastery by or under the supervision of monks, the brewery can only be a secondary importance in the monastery, the money made from sales is used to cover the costs of running the monastery and anything exceeding this cost is donated to charities that support the needy, and the beers have to maintain a high standard for quality.
    3. Beers that emulate the Trappist beers can still refer to themselves as "Abbeys", and the Trappist monasteries hold no monopoly on the styles that they have popularized (enkels/dubbels/tripels/quads).
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Enjoyed a Rochefort 10 our of a Rochefort chalice last night. Delicious, especially as it warmed. Great dark fruit flavors (figs, raisins, plum, currants) with a nice roasted barley backbone and good belgian yeast fruitiness.

1. In Belgium, all beers are served in a special glass designed by the brewer to accentuate the particular flavor and style of the beer. This is a really big deal in Belgium and bartenders will routinely refuse to serve a beer if they don't have the proper glass. We went to this great tucked-away bar where we ordered my favorite saison, Brasserie DuPont's Avec Les Bon Voeux. They brought the beer out in a basket-like pourer (so that the beer rested on its side, but slightly upright) and they brought the proper glasses out on a tray with a small serving of cheese that paired well with the beer. I love how seriously they take their beer.
    2. For a beer to be labeled a "Trappist" beer, it has to come from one of the 8 officially recognized Trappist brewery monasteries (Chimay, Orval, Westmalle, Rochefort, Westvleteren, Achel, La Trappe, Mariawald). All are in Belgium, except La Trappe is in the Netherlands and Mariawald is in Germany. All of these trappist brewers have to meet certain criteria including: the beer has to be brewed within the monastery by or under the supervision of monks, the brewery can only be a secondary importance in the monastery, the money made from sales is used to cover the costs of running the monastery and anything exceeding this cost is donated to charities that support the needy, and the beers have to maintain a high standard for quality.
    3. Beers that emulate the Trappist beers can still refer to themselves as "Abbeys", and the Trappist monasteries hold no monopoly on the styles that they have popularized (enkels/dubbels/tripels/quads).
    I'll be trying this one tonight. Thanks for the recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    I'll be trying this one tonight. Thanks for the recommend!
    It is rated 100 on Beer Advocate and on Rate Beer, so you could do worse.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

It is rated 100 on Beer Advocate and on Rate Beer, so you could do worse.
    Definitely no disappointment.

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Anybody ever been to this craft and growler place? It's right across from the cotton bowl and was ranked as one of Dallas' top 5 beer bars. I'm gonna hit it up tomorrow.

http://craftandgrowler.com/

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I'd take a donation of the beer to this needy sot!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Varsity Bulldog SteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the rough

http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2013/10/tin_roof_releases_rougarou_imp.html

If anyone coming from NOLA or BR this weekend runs across this baby I'd love to get one of these!
    Per the Tin Roof facebook they can be found it at Calandros, The Beverage Store, Mathernes, Cuban Liquor, Bet R, Alexander's, and others.

Puppy ChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the roughChampKind is a jewel in the rough ChampKind's Avatar

Where can you get good craft brews in Northwest LA? I've had the gateway craft stuff (St. Arnolds and Abita), but I'm wanting to try some more snob approved brews. What to get and where to get it in Shreveport/Bossier? Thanks in advance!
    I will smash your face into a car windshield, and then take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth out for a nice seafood dinner, and never call her again.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChampKind View Post
    Where can you get good craft brews in Northwest LA? I've had the gateway craft stuff (St. Arnolds and Abita), but I'm wanting to try some more snob approved brews. What to get and where to get it in Shreveport/Bossier? Thanks in advance!
    Rotolo's for draft
    Brewniverse for bottles
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Had some IPA in Wichita on the way back from the Kansas game. It had so many hops in it I would swear the little blossoms were floating around in it. IPA has usually been my choice at craft brew pubs so I was expecting strong hops, but this was undrinkable. I hope I remember the name so I will never get it again. This was not in a brew pub, by the way, so I guess that was the difference. And then my best friend buys me some bottled IPA (Founders) and it's almost as bad. I think they are overdoing the hops because IPA is defined as high hops for the preservative factor.

+ Reply to Thread