+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Shouldn't everybody responding to this thread say BB&B?
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    My almost 5-year old won't sit still for anything unless it's one of the Chrinicles of Narnia. We're going all out of order. We read the Horse and His Boy first. Yesterday we finished the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Today he insisted that we start the Magician's Nephew.

It's some of the most gratifying time he and I spend together...I'm gonna live it up because he won't always want to hang out with me!
    There is nothing like it.

16 likes

• Finally! The moment Austin has been waiting for these last four years. #heisnotsafe

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    started to put this on the peeve thread, but decided to revive this one instead. i just read the first three chapters of the martian. cool story. mediocre writing. terrible chemistry. you can't work out chemical equations by volume when you're dealing with liquids. 50 liters of liquid oxygen is not enough to give you 100 liters of liquid water.

i'm still going to read it though. like sherlock holmes and mcgyver, it's cool to imagine even if you know it doesn't really work that way. and so far, the only mistake he's really made is computational error.
    just got around to finishing it. i'll upgrade the writing from "mediocre" to "good", and the story from "cool" to "awesome". the chemistry is still bad, though. i had to double-check my numbers because he got a lot of really cool nerd stuff exactly right, and a lot more stuff that seems about right even though i don't know enough to say whether it is or not. but he was definitely wrong on his conversion of oxygen to water.
    liters of O2 50 L
    density of O2 1.141 g/mL
    g of O2 57,050 g
    MW of O2 32 g/mol
    mol of O2 1,783 mol
    mol of O 3,566 mol
    mol of H2O 3,566 mol
    MW of H2O 18 g/mol
    g of H2O 64,181 g
    density of H2O 1.000 g/mL
    liters of H2O 64 L

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Finished The Martian, and I concur. It was really good.

The trailer referenced in xkcd is here (it looks pretty good, too).

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I'm in the middle of the Martian audiobook. Been listening to it going to and from work each day. The voice actor is outstanding. Great story too!

Got it on yalls recommendation. Thanks!

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I am reading Under the Black Flag and Pirate Hunter of the Carribean by David Cordingly. If you like nautical history his books on the golden age of piracy are the best.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    I am reading Under the Black Flag and Pirate Hunter of the Carribean by David Cordingly. If you like nautical history his books on the golden age of piracy ARRRRRRRRE the best.
    fixed

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    fixed
    So Jen finally talked you into getting the little snip snip, good for you!!!!!

So Jen finally talked you into getting the little snip snip, good for you!!!!!
    I am fully functional.

more like.....

id4042.jpg

more like.....

Attachment 12970
    Don't hate ... that guy was cool.

(right up until he was possessed by the alien ....)

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I've been working my way through Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon spy novels. Overall, a very good series. Just finished #11 "Portrait of a Spy". Only 3 maybe 4 to go.

Any recommendations on another author in genre?

I've been enjoying Orson Scott Card's "Ender" novels. Classic scifi in the Asimov tradition. Incredible characters too.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I've been working my way through Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon spy novels. Overall, a very good series. Just finished #11 "Portrait of a Spy". Only 3 maybe 4 to go.

Any recommendations on another author in genre?
    The original Ian Fleming Bond novels are pretty good (some of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I've been enjoying Orson Scott Card's "Ender" novels. Classic scifi in the Asimov tradition. Incredible characters too.
    I read the first two, and liked them. Can't remember why I stopped there.

+ Reply to Thread