+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Serious Conference Realignment Discussion

Has JMU joined? Have they jumped through all the ncaa hoops?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Has JMU joined? Have they jumped through all the ncaa hoops?
    Their hoops are legislative hoops for the state of Virginia. They have not yet jumped through that final hoop.

Varsity Bulldog SouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of light

Not 16 football members.

Varsity Bulldog SouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of lightSouthernMiss3613 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    The Sunbelt has 16 members.

Or does once James Madison comes on board.

And we're given to understand that a new hefty tv deal is in the works. I thought y'all are all about to be rolling in money (despite having 16 members).
    Not 16 football members.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Y’all see how badly the University of Sore Losers needs Tech don’t y’all?

They have been on a Tech fan board non stop for TWO weeks! (But I guess it’s not like they actual paying jobs or anything else to do)

But seriously go ahead and bash us while we are down, because y’all will be nowhere to be found when we are up again.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Like other polls, take it with a grain of salt, but I read where 75% of Sam Houston State fans/supporters say NO to joining CUSA. Valid points about taking a lifeboat toward the Titanic, doesn't make sense to jump on a sinking ship. They also say their fans would have little interest in playing the remaining CUSA teams. Nah! I think Tech and UTEP would be of interest given proximity to us and playing another Texas school. But, that is not enough to justify who else might end up in a new CUSA. More to the real reason, according to those SHSU fans, they like being a big fish in a smaller pond. They can play for a national championship in football, something they will never be able to do in the FBS. I don't know how this will all end up, but just the fact some FCS schools are being proactively vocal and saying "no thanks" speaks volumes as to where we find ourselves.

Blame? I suppose one can point his finger at several folks, several entities and say "there!" But, it's a combination of factors including Tech's so-called leadership. This will be a true test to the resilience of Tech in the world of athletics. We have the pieces in place, infrastructure/facilities and the tradition/track record to survive this and emerge on the other side. But, a ship lost in the fog, no matter how good the ship, is still lost in the fog and could run-aground. This is all on Guice, Wood, and all those deep-pocket donors who have been calling the shots all these years, getting their way, and now have to deal with the mess they helped to create.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave1 View Post
    La Tech just needs to accept the fact that it will have to remain in the new CUSA 8.0 (with whatever new schools want to join) or go the Independent route. Now that the Sun Belt has added USM, ODU, Marshall and JMU, there will be no further expansion in the foreseeable future.
    Super. So you'll be leaving now?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMiss3613 View Post
    Not 16 football members.
    Is that fact strengthening your point or mine?

Is that fact strengthening your point or mine?
    Football is what we are talking about here, correct?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Like other polls, take it with a grain of salt, but I read where 75% of Sam Houston State fans/supporters say NO to joining CUSA. Valid points about taking a lifeboat toward the Titanic, doesn't make sense to jump on a sinking ship. They also say their fans would have little interest in playing the remaining CUSA teams. Nah! I think Tech and UTEP would be of interest given proximity to us and playing another Texas school. But, that is not enough to justify who else might end up in a new CUSA. More to the real reason, according to those SHSU fans, they like being a big fish in a smaller pond. They can play for a national championship in football, something they will never be able to do in the FBS. I don't know how this will all end up, but just the fact some FCS schools are being proactively vocal and saying "no thanks" speaks volumes as to where we find ourselves.

Blame? I suppose one can point his finger at several folks, several entities and say "there!" But, it's a combination of factors including Tech's so-called leadership. This will be a true test to the resilience of Tech in the world of athletics. We have the pieces in place, infrastructure/facilities and the tradition/track record to survive this and emerge on the other side. But, a ship lost in the fog, no matter how good the ship, is still lost in the fog and could run-aground. This is all on Guice, Wood, and all those deep-pocket donors who have been calling the shots all these years, getting their way, and now have to deal with the mess they helped to create.
    When it comes to FCS programs, the question is simply going to be how badly they want to move to the FBS level. I think there are a number of schools who are interested in the move, but most would probably like to know more about how the new playoff will be structured and how the payouts will work (how many peanuts will be thrown to the little guys). And probably most of them would have preferred to set their own timeline.

But as long as that rule is in place about how you can't come up unless you're entering a conference, this is the only ticket. So if you're close, this is (at the very least) the chance to get a jump on the other FCS schools who may be considering the move but aren't ready.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

When it comes to FCS programs, the question is simply going to be how badly they want to move to the FBS level. I think there are a number of schools who are interested in the move, but most would probably like to know more about how the new playoff will be structured and how the payouts will work (how many peanuts will be thrown to the little guys). And probably most of them would have preferred to set their own timeline.

But as long as that rule is in place about how you can't come up unless you're entering a conference, this is the only ticket. So if you're close, this is (at the very least) the chance to get a jump on the other FCS schools who may be considering the move but aren't ready.
    It's a big risk with the current turbulence in higher ed funding. Very expensive proposition that may not pay off for a very long time...if at all. At least, that's what my letter to Virginia State Legislators said.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMiss3613 View Post
    Football is what we are talking about here, correct?
    I thought it was how the conference money was being split up and how adding more schools will reduce the shares per school. And what was realistic for a conference "to support."

Your math is right, regardless of the number. If the denominator gets bigger, everyone gets less money. But your comment about "how could a conference support 16 teams" applies now, would apply about 14, about 18, about 12 for that matter. And the same logic that applies to the SB having 16 now (14 football) would apply to them going to 18 (16 football), right? Why go to 14/16? They think they can get more tv money and reduce travel. Why go to 16/18? Same reasons (plus, arguably reducing the denominator on the football playoff money at the conference level and reducing the competition overall by keeping CUSA from bringing up a bunch of FCS schools).

Puppy crawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nicecrawfish333 is just really nice

Some of you seem to think UL-LAFF and ULM may have prevented La. Tech from being invited to join the SBC. I would disagree. IMO, There were several factors that came into play, some of which may eventually change. Here are some of the factors that may not have been discussed on this forum previously:
    • The eastern teams have been clamoring for the add of former FCS rival schools for some time now, including Marshall and James Madison. As I am sure many of you are aware, Marshall and App was pushing hard for their add.
    • JMU is a school that the conference wanted in the last realignment, but it was not ready. They have a large athletic budget and a traditional rivalry with other eastern schools. They also have good support for their programs. Even as an FCS school, football attendance is typically well over 20K.
    • I believe that Marshall and App drove the inclusion of ODU. For Marshall, it could have been an all 3 or nothing deal.
    • There were rumors that Marshall may have been trying to organize the eastern SBC and C-USA schools to start an east coast league. (not sure how serious it was) The schools added to the SBC effectively removed this as an option.
    • IMO, the McClelland interview from last year hurt La. Tech's chances from schools in the conference (other than UL-LAFF and ULM) the most. I think UL-Laff and ULM would have voted for La. Tech to be added for political reasons, but other schools (like Arkansas State) had no such obligation. Since the administration did nothing to refute what McClelland said, I guess the other schools probably assumed that it was the official position of La. Tech. I think most conferences would not wish to add a school that openly expressed distain for the conference.
    • Having 3 schools from Louisiana was also not especially appealing.
    • Adding USM was a no-brainer. The west schools like UL-Laff, ULM, ASU, and USA were anxious to get a local rival, and ULM fits the bill perfectly. They also openly publicly expressed a strong desire to join the belt.
    Things change rapidly in Conference realignment these days, so nothing is out of the realm of possibility. For example, if Texas State were to get an invitation to join the MWC, then I expect La. Tech might be a strong candidate to replace them, if they would publicly express a desire to join the SBC. Also, if UTA and UALR were to leave, the conference might decide to go to 16 full time members. No apology would be necessary but perhaps a rebuke of what McClelland said about the Belt might be helpful. To me, it seems like McClelland screwed the pooch as he was planning his exit from La Tech. Sometimes it is better to say nothing rather than alienate those who you may need help from in the future.

Good luck in whatever path La. Tech chooses.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post

Also you have other universities dipping into Engineering, one of our key programs. Ive mentioned them before, but SAU in Arkansas began offering it within the last 8 years. Its cheaper, and its easier. They’ve been setting enrollment records each year. 2013 enrollment number I found was 3545, 2021 enrollment number I found was 4434.
    Don't bring the D2 Great American Conference schools into this! There're doing fine. They got 3 schools ranked. (Oh and they hold a 28-team national post-season Championship bracket.)

Guess who won the first DII championship in NCAA history!

PS-I've seen more of Oklahoma this fall than I have in all my life!
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish333 View Post
    Some of you seem to think UL and ULM may have prevented La. Tech from being invited to join the SBC. I would disagree. IMO, There were several factors that came into play, some of which may eventually change. Here are some of the factors that may not have been discussed on this forum previously:
    • The eastern teams have been clamoring for the add of former FCS rival schools for some time now, including Marshall and James Madison. As I am sure many of you are aware, Marshall and App was pushing hard for their add.
    • JMU is a school that the conference wanted in the last realignment, but it was not ready. They have a large athletic budget and a traditional rivalry with other eastern schools. They also have good support for their programs. Even as an FCS school, football attendance is typically well over 20K.
    • I believe that Marshall and App drove the inclusion of ODU. For Marshall, it could have been an all 3 or nothing deal.
    • There were rumors that Marshall may have been trying to organize the eastern SBC and C-USA schools to start an east coast league. (not sure how serious it was) The schools added to the SBC effectively removed this as an option.
    • IMO, the McClelland interview from last year hurt La. Tech's chances from schools in the conference (other than UL and ULM) the most. I think UL and ULM would have voted for La. Tech to be added for political reasons, but other schools (like Arkansas State) had no such obligation. Since the administration did nothing to refute what McClelland said, I guess the other schools probably assumed that it was the official position of La. Tech. I think most conferences would not wish to add a school that openly expressed distain for the conference.
    • Having 3 schools from Louisiana was also not especially appealing.
    • Adding USM was a no-brainer. The west schools like UL, ULM, ASU, and USA were anxious to get a local rival, and ULM fits the bill perfectly. They also openly publicly expressed a strong desire to join the belt.
    Things change rapidly in Conference realignment these days, so nothing is out of the realm of possibility. For example, if Texas State were to get an invitation to join the MWC, then I expect La. Tech might be a strong candidate to replace them, if they would publicly express a desire to join the SBC. Also, if UTA and UALR were to leave, the conference might decide to go to 16 full time members. No apology would be necessary but perhaps a rebuke of what McClelland said about the Belt might be helpful. To me, it seems like McClelland screwed the pooch as he was planning his exit from La Tech. Sometimes it is better to say nothing rather than alienate those who you may need help from in the future.

Good luck in whatever path La. Tech chooses.
    I think the administrations of all the SB schools have cooler heads than our fan bases do, they would look at this as a business decision. At this time Louisiana Tech did not fit because of the east-west situation it would have created in your conference. They weighed all the pros and cons and Tech was just not a good fit at the moment.

Business wise, with the SB footprint, there would be some good rivalries with Tech that would begin drawing TV's and money. When the situation gets right and Tech becomes a good fit in your east-west situation, the SB will want Tech.

The SB board and ESPN could care less about what goes on in some of our peeing contest we get into, as a matter of fact, that hate is probably a positive. Fan hate, smack, dislike, respect, lack of respect,...all bring in eyes and TV's. As a matter of fact, they may be using this situation to cultivate that a little more for the future.

+ Reply to Thread