+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 386 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid - 19

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Covid - 19

There really isn't a good place to start this thread. So I'll just go ahead and open it in this forum.

I think an ominous turn came yesterday with this virus with some of the statements made by the WHO and the CDC. The window for containing this is narrowing with more and more cases in Japan, South Korea and now - somehow - Iran. There are isolated cases in many other parts of the world, including the U.S.

At a minimum I think the Olympics in Tokyo in August are out the window.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/4829278002/

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Covid - 19

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    There really isn't a good place to start this thread. So I'll just go ahead and open it in this forum.

I think an ominous turn came yesterday with this virus with some of the statements made by the WHO and the CDC. The window for containing this is narrowing with more and more cases in Japan, South Korea and now - somehow - Iran. There are isolated cases in many other parts of the world, including the U.S.

At a minimum I think the Olympics in Tokyo in August are out the window.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/4829278002/
    You need to read the one on the Politics Forum.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    You need to read the one on the Politics Forum.
    I saw that. I wanted to start a thread to look at this from a sports perspective rather than a political perspective.

Not only from a perspective of the Olympics but many international sporting events over the next 6 to 9 months. Obviously, Formula 1 isn't going to be in China this year. This list of events cancelled is going to start in the next few weeks and only grow from there.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I saw that. I wanted to start a thread to look at this from a sports perspective rather than a political perspective.

Not only from a perspective of the Olympics but many international sporting events over the next 6 to 9 months. Obviously, Formula 1 isn't going to be in China this year. This list of events cancelled is going to start in the next few weeks and only grow from there.
    Ah yes. Great point and should be an interesting thread.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Olympics falls under Pro Sports.

IOC will try to hold the games at all costs.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

dang! hadn't thought about the Olympics being cancelled. But I agree, I think the cat's out of the bag.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

About as good an analogy of this thing that exists can be found on the website of Peak Prosperity. Chris Martenson is a PHD from Duke University and he is an expert on infectious diseases. He gives a daily update on everything his research is showing about the spread of this thing. I highly recommend his website.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I am still trying to figure out what makes this disease so deadly. Is it that its so contagious that the law of averages just racks up so many dead or its that bad a virus. As for Tokyo Olympics, this is a devastating blow. The Dow is down 800 points based on the news and I have a feeling more Asian specific sports will feel the effect of this disease.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    I am still trying to figure out what makes this disease so deadly. Is it that its so contagious that the law of averages just racks up so many dead or its that bad a virus. As for Tokyo Olympics, this is a devastating blow. The Dow is down 800 points based on the news and I have a feeling more Asian specific sports will feel the effect of this disease.
    COVID-19 Is More Contagious Than Its Coronavirus Brethren ...

https://khn.org › morning-breakout › covid-19-is-more-contagious-than-it...

5 days ago - The mortality rate for COVID-19 is about 2.3%, while for SARS and ... What's more deadly — the flu, SARS or the new coronavirus discovered in China? ... and most comprehensive examination of coronavirus cases so far.

VERIFY: Is COVID-19 more deadly than the flu? | cbs8.com

https://www.cbs8.com › article › news › health › coronavirus › verify-is-c...

5 days ago - New research suggests COVID-19 is 20 times more deadly than the flu. ... have been 16,000 cases of the flu and 63 deaths so far this year.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

This flu season alone has sickened >19 million across the U.S. and led to >10,000 deaths and >180,000 hospitalizations, as of 24 Feb 2020.

Source: CDC
        I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
        I read somewhere that Covid-19 is hard on organs. Higher propensity for kidneys, liver etc to start shutting down in vulnerable groups like elderly. Maybe someone else can confirm whether that's accurate.

Italian soccer in impacted areas will move forward in empty stadiums - if it moves forward at all!

http://www.startribune.com/virus-in-...mes/568134572/

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

https://www.ftportfolios.com/Comment...he-coronavirus

According to Worldometer, which aggregates statistics from health agencies across the world, total active cases peaked about a week ago at 58,747 and have since been declining, even with all the new cases we are seeing in South Korea, Italy and Iran (where data is suspect). There have been 30,597 cases with an outcome (2,699 deaths and 27,898 recovered). In other words, the total active cases now stand at 49,923, a drop of 15% from the peak on February 17th.

One death is too many, but to put that number into a little bit of perspective, according to the World Health Organization, in the United States alone for the 2019-2020 season, there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths. Imagine if everyone with an internet connection followed the spread of this annual flu, case by case, hour by hour.

It’s true that the death rate from Coronavirus appears to be around 3% in China, which is much higher than the death rate from the normal flu, but like the flu increases with age. However, outside of China the death rate is far less than inside China, roughly 1%. And, there is already a drug that will combat COVID-19 moving toward first phase clinical trials. It took three months for this to happen in 2020, versus 20 months for SARS back in 2002/03 - a testament to advances in drug technology.

I would tend to follow the CDC on this rather than the staff economists at "First Trust". LOL!!!
        Last edited by The Historian; 02-26-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I think is blows over before the window closes on the Tokyo Olympics. Just a hunch.

+ Reply to Thread