+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Burroughs to replace Goff - TNS

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: Potential HC Candidates by TNS

Jordan Shaffer plays short. He was going to be a preferred walk-on when Goff was here. He was a 4A all-state shortstop/pitcher at Benton. His first choice out of high school was Tech, but Siminoeaux didn't want him for some reason. He played a year for Burroughs at NSU as a pitcher, and by the end of his freshman year was a go to guy. He put up spectacular numbers. He still wanted to go to Tech so he talked to Goff, got set up at Hines to play there a year. He blew out his elbow in the fall and had Tommy John surgery. He enrolled at Tech and rehabbed here. His arm is doing great now.

The kid can play. Good family. His dad is retired military in Bossier. Mom a teacher. I would guess he is 6-2. Tech was his first choice from day one.

I think of him as a pitcher, but he definitely could play short, and he can hit.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Jordan Shaffer plays short. He was going to be a preferred walk-on when Goff was here. He was a 4A all-state shortstop/pitcher at Benton. His first choice out of high school was Tech, but Siminoeaux didn't want him for some reason. He played a year for Burroughs at NSU as a pitcher, and by the end of his freshman year was a go to guy. He put up spectacular numbers. He still wanted to go to Tech so he talked to Goff, got set up at Hines to play there a year. He blew out his elbow in the fall and had Tommy John surgery. He enrolled at Tech and rehabbed here. His arm is doing great now.

The kid can play. Good family. His dad is retired military in Bossier. Mom a teacher. I would guess he is 6-2. Tech was his first choice from day one.

I think of him as a pitcher, but he definitely could play short, and he can hit.

Thanks. Great info. 2 years or 1 year remaining?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Two.

I talked to his dad this morning to verify all I said. He said I exaggerated one thing. He was never a go to guy. There were too many returning seniors to be that. He said a better description would be that he pitched well every time he pitched. His ERA was under 1.00.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I talked to his dad this morning to verify all I said. He said I exaggerated one thing. He was never a go to guy. There were too many returning seniors to be that. He said a better description would be that he pitched well every time he pitched. His ERA was under 1.00.
    Great! Sounds like we have an extra mid week reliever if we need him...or another Jericho Jones.

Great! Sounds like we have an extra mid week reliever if we need him...or another Jericho Jones.
    I would assume he would start out middle relief, but how much he progresses will depend on his wing. He was sitting in the 90s when he got hurt. If he comes back strong, he will definitely move up the food chain fairly quickly.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Burroughs to replace Goff - TNS

Wow, it is crazy how many young guys end up needing Tommy John surgery in today's baseball. ... Off topic, some of the old timers on here will remember that when Tech regularly had a Top 25 baseball program in the 70's and 80s, Coach Patterson was getting a lot of recommendations on players from Tony John, a scout for Dodgers. (Edit: I always had heard Tony John was Tommy's brother, but when I looked that up just now I did not find any reference to it, so I do not think it is true).
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Wow, it is crazy how many young guys end up needing Tommy John surgery in today's baseball. ... Off topic, some of the old timers on here will remember that when Tech regularly had a Top 25 baseball program in the 70's and 80s, Coach Patterson was getting a lot of recommendations on players form Tony John -- Tommy John's brother and a scout for Dodgers
    I believe Sutton is an prime example of what Tommy John might do to actually make a pitcher better. I hope it works out as well for Shaffer.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

I believe Sutton is an prime example of what Tommy John might do to actually make a pitcher better. I hope it works out as well for Shaffer.
    Yeah that is one of several things I have wondered over they years why no one really talks about it in terms of performance enhancement. People talk all the time about performance enhancing substances. What about performance enhancement from surgery? How about performance enhancement from wearing contact lenses?

I'm not advocating performance enhancing drugs by the way. I've just always thought that was a fun argument.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post
    Yeah that is one of several things I have wondered over they years why no one really talks about it in terms of performance enhancement. People talk all the time about performance enhancing substances. What about performance enhancement from surgery? How about performance enhancement from wearing contact lenses?

I'm not advocating performance enhancing drugs by the way. I've just always thought that was a fun argument.
    I know you've heard the stories of some VERY young players who got Tommy John as a enhancing tool, not a injury repair.

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Shaffer was really good in high school. I always wondered why he wasn't a Tech target. Glad to see he is now at Tech, hopefully he can come back healthy and hopefully help us out some.

I'm losing my credibility by the hour. It was a shoulder surgery. Not Tommy John.

I'm losing my credibility by the hour. It was a shoulder surgery. Not Tommy John.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Labrum? If so, I cant see him helping on the mound. Really, really tough to come back from, especially in a year. He'll need a good 18 months to fully heal to be ready to be on the mound and even then his chances of fully recovering are low. I'd like to see him give it a shot at a position.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    Labrum? If so, I cant see him helping on the mound. Really, really tough to come back from, especially in a year. He'll need a good 18 months to fully heal to be ready to be on the mound and even then his chances of fully recovering are low. I'd like to see him give it a shot at a position.
    I'm not going to make another factual error, so I won't say. All I know is his arm and shoulder are doing very well.

+ Reply to Thread