+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Ya Got?

Bulldog veerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around here veerbone's Avatar

Re: Who Ya Got?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I think bringing in Rattay as OC and allowing us to see what he is capable of on the college level while his boss isn’t interrupting every opportunity for him to coach would be great. Then evaluate if we want him to be head coach in waiting.
    We can't afford him as OC. He probably makes more as OK St QB coach than he'd make as OC here. It would be HC or nothing.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

We do not need to be in the business of training coordinators or coaches.

I'm fine with rehab if we're wise about it. Sometimes you strike gold with a Diaz type guy

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

We need to strive to hire coaches who will be the most likely to be hired away from us in no more than 3-5 years. Extending contracts for coaches nobody else wants is a guaranteed losing proposition. Being on the wrong side of this buyout crap sucks to the max.; it kills fan support and decimates athletic program financials.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    So bring in Rattay as OC without any experience as an OC? His results as a QB coach at La Tech and Washington are not overly impressive, maybe the HC’s are responsible for the poor results.
    Tech and Washington were two totally different situations. At Tech, Rattay was handicapped by Holtz’s interference. I know because I saw it from a few rows behind where he’d try to talk to J’Mar and Holtz would butt in to spare J’Mar any coaching.

I don’t know so much about what happened at Washington except a QB at that level is not as much an influential player as a new college player is.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    We need to strive to hire coaches who will be the most likely to be hired away from us in no more than 3-5 years. Extending contracts for coaches nobody else wants is a guaranteed losing proposition. Being on the wrong side of this buyout crap sucks to the max.; it kills fan support and decimates athletic program financials.
    THIS. THIS. THIS.

Tech should always hire up and comers. Coaches that are going to be hired away in 3-4 years because they were SUCCESSFUL at TECH!

Give me 3-4 glory years, rinse with a decent buyout, repeat! Tech grows with these hires. This is what works for us.

Don’t hire leftovers or hasbeens or fired coaches.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veerbone View Post
    We can't afford him as OC. He probably makes more as OK St QB coach than he'd make as OC here. It would be HC or nothing.
    Maybe it's just me, but if I wanted to run things I'd take a small reduction in pay to prove myself and have the opportunity to move on to bigger things.

Especially if the salary I ended up making still made my family and me comfortable.

Entrepreneurs do this kind of thing every day.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this on another thread, but it needs to be said here too:
    We need a good and EXCITING hire that will fire the fans up. No use bringing in a former player that we will end up not liking anymore if he can't get the wins.... Go for someone brand new, but one that has recruiting ties in Louisiana and Texas. No former players or sons of famous coaches!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Tech and Washington were two totally different situations. At Tech, Rattay was handicapped by Holtz’s interference. I know because I saw it from a few rows behind where he’d try to talk to J’Mar and Holtz would butt in to spare J’Mar any coaching.

I don’t know so much about what happened at Washington except a QB at that level is not as much an influential player as a new college player is.
    Most of us saw that along with the other offensive players going against each other constantly between series. It has been pointed out to him a number of times but this particular poster was anti-Rattay well before Rattay even had a chance to coach up any player including receivers which is what he originally came to do.

Saying this, I'm not all about hiring Rattay as the HC. Not sure he is ready.

Our AD is about to get his first taste of a big hire. I don't expect his boss to grade him on the results since he did not do that with the former AD.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    My thoughts exactly except add in that he’s exclusively responsible for QB recruiting and development. Unfortunately a new head coach is going to have to have the freedom to put together his own staff in order that he be singlehandedly responsible for them, so for this reason, Rattay is probably a real long shot ever coming back. We had our chance once and Holtz sabotaged it.
    I think you're correct that the chance of Rattay coming back is probably very slim. While I loved Tim when he was playing, and hoped he would eventually end up leading the program, I'm not convinced it will happen now AND if we're honest...the Fan Favorite player rarely is very successful as the HC at their alma matter. Then you end up having to part ways and everyone has a bad taste left in their mouth.

Varsity Bulldog Festus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really nice

He’s complete trash (my real opinion should bring in mods) - don’t forget him accusing Tech of stealing calls and trashing our players (QP etc.) after winning the Poinsettia Bowl

Varsity Bulldog Festus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really niceFestus is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Festus View Post
    He’s complete trash (my real opinion should bring in mods) - don’t forget him accusing Tech of stealing calls and trashing our players (QP etc.) after winning the Poinsettia Bowl
    Gary Patterson...

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Festus View Post
    Gary Patterson...
    I figured. I’m a no vote for older guys who’ve just been fired…and not so old ones too (Diaz and Mullen).

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg88 View Post
    Gary Patterson
    Nope.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

If our budget for hiring a coach is no bigger than what we just had, we can either expect to hire an up and comer that no one will know outside of a quick internet search, or a has been that is trying to rehabilitate their career. I’d take the former over the latter.
    You’re not going to hire a known OC from a P5 school for 800K.
    Whoever ends up landing the job will be falling into a good spot. Tech has shown it’s capable of pulling in outstanding talent, and it shouldn’t be that difficult to win championships in this new CUSA. They can make a name for themselves pretty quickly with a little effort. Who honestly had even heard of Napier 4 years ago, but now he is at the top of the list on several P5 jobs, and ULL was in much worse shape then than we are now.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Patterson and Mullins both have some good coaching qualities, I just do not think I could stand to look at either one of them on our sideline. Festus brought up the Patterson issue at the bowl, I forgot about that, that makes him even more distasteful.

+ Reply to Thread