+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Football Split?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Ncaa College Football Split?

Do you think we are headed for a split in college football? I think we are. Anytime major changes take place in college football, I believe that is a clue that they are up to something, and there have been a ton of changes lately.

I think the next step is for the top 24–40 college football teams to break away from the NCAA and form something like a semi pro league. Based on comments from Notre Dame‘s outgoing AD and recent comments from Ohio State’s AD, it’s pretty obvious they have been discussing it. Both made comments about having athletic teams that are not connected to educational institutions.

We have all known for years that players were being paid under the table at big schools. But, NIL has exposed the large financial divide between the haves and have nots, and the crazy money currently being thrown around is only greasing the skids for the next step. We will see if Congress steps in, but I’m not really sure what they could do to stop this snowball heading downhill.

I guess that would leave the rest of us playing actual college football. I’m not sure what I would do to conference realignment… Hell, the way they are getting rid of conference divisions I’m not sure what the immediate future conferences is.

It just feels like the big money schools are about to break away and do their own thing. What do you guys think?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: College Football Split?

No time soon, IMO. I think the "bigs" will talk a lot, make some threats to withdraw from the NCAA, but all they will accomplish is winning some more concessions. The gap will widen between the "haves" and "have nots" and $millions more will pour into their coffers. This will temporarily appease them.

Now, further down the road, say 10-15 years from now, we'll see another big push and maybe then, with no more booty to steal from the NCAA/big media/donors/sponsors/fans/alumni, there will be the formation of new governing body which will ultimately replace the NCAA, which will wither on the vine. Those left behind, like Tech, will form their own new association and the separation will be complete. It will resemble the collapse of CUSA. Schools will simply declare they are leaving the NCAA and those not invited to come along, tough cookies.

The destruction of the NCAA, as we now know it, won't happen overnight. It will doggedly hang on, often representing a compromise between the warring factions, like the SEC vs. the Big 10, and the SEC vs. the world! And to restore some order...because big $bucks would be at stake...the two sides will agree to allow the NCAA to continue to exist for the time being (while they plot in smoke-filled rooms...cannabis smoke...further moves). Eventually, pushed off into the corner and virtually ignored as an organization, the NCAA will just go "poof!" gone, lost to history. That will happen after a new association is firmly in place and the NCAA represents a needless redundancy.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    Do you think we are headed for a split in college football? I think we are. Anytime major changes take place in college football, I believe that is a clue that they are up to something, and there have been a ton of changes lately.

I think the next step is for the top 24–40 college football teams to break away from the NCAA and form something like a semi pro league. Based on comments from Notre Dame‘s outgoing AD and recent comments from Ohio State’s AD, it’s pretty obvious they have been discussing it. Both made comments about having athletic teams that are not connected to educational institutions.
    There has been a tremendous amount of discussion about a potential split on national sports talk radio over the past 3 months or so, since the season ended. The Top 40 or so programs breaking away has been a part of that. One of the scenarios discussed has been the possibility of the Big 10 and SEC each adding an additional 6 schools and then breaking away.

That option or possibility has lost a lot of steam over the past month. The presidents in the SEC and Big 10 have shown no willingness whatsoever to kill off other conferences.

What's emerged has been another possibility, something that might actually have a chance. The entire FBS - 130 or so schools - being governed from a football perspective outside the NCAA. The creation of their own governance structure. This is what Ohio State AD Gene Smith was talking about when he said "split". That appears to have been misinterpreted by some in the media.

Here's a more comprehensive story on Gene Smith's comments.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...plit-from-ncaa

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

The three best ideas I’ve heard to fix CFB…

1. Eliminate the nonprofit tax deductible status of “Athletic Foundations”

2. Form a true Minor League Football group (such as the USFL) with ESPN support that as an alternative for athletes straight out of High School to try to make it in the NFL.

3. Arranging the Conferences on a promotion/relegation plan with pro(SEC/Big12) being paired with rel(SBC/C-USA) so that all universities are on equal footing when it comes to CFB.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    No time soon, IMO. I think the "bigs" will talk a lot, make some threats to withdraw from the NCAA, but all they will accomplish is winning some more concessions. The gap will widen between the "haves" and "have nots" and $millions more will pour into their coffers. This will temporarily appease them.

Now, further down the road, say 10-15 years from now, we'll see another big push and maybe then, with no more booty to steal from the NCAA/big media/donors/sponsors/fans/alumni, there will be the formation of new governing body which will ultimately replace the NCAA, which will wither on the vine. Those left behind, like Tech, will form their own new association and the separation will be complete. It will resemble the collapse of CUSA. Schools will simply declare they are leaving the NCAA and those not invited to come along, tough cookies.

The destruction of the NCAA, as we now know it, won't happen overnight. It will doggedly hang on, often representing a compromise between the warring factions, like the SEC vs. the Big 10, and the SEC vs. the world! And to restore some order...because big $bucks would be at stake...the two sides will agree to allow the NCAA to continue to exist for the time being (while they plot in smoke-filled rooms...cannabis smoke...further moves). Eventually, pushed off into the corner and virtually ignored as an organization, the NCAA will just go "poof!" gone, lost to history. That will happen after a new association is firmly in place and the NCAA represents a needless redundancy.
    Yea, out with a whimper, not a bang

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    The three best ideas I’ve heard to fix CFB…

1. Eliminate the nonprofit tax deductible status of “Athletic Foundations”

2. Form a true Minor League Football group (such as the USFL) with ESPN support that as an alternative for athletes straight out of High School to try to make it in the NFL.

3. Arranging the Conferences on a promotion/relegation plan with pro(SEC/Big12) being paired with rel(SBC/C-USA) so that all universities are on equal footing when it comes to CFB.
    Pro/rel is would be almost impossible to implement. Be interesting though.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

I would do unspeakable things to get pro/rel into colllege sports.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    I would do unspeakable things to get pro/rel into colllege sports.
    Never going to happen -

Look where are the law-schools are located and then look who controls the state legislators...

If it ever happens - I'm done with college athletics entirely -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Never going to happen -

Look where are the law-schools are located and then look who controls the state legislators...

Oh I know it's a pipe dream.

If it happens, why would you be done with college athletics? It would actually give a chance for some teams to reach bigger heights (Boise) while allowing others that are being propped up to fall down (Vanderbilt, Wake Forest). LaTech could finally have a shot (albeit very small) of getting SEC/BigXII schools coming to the Joe yearly. One of the best aspects of pro/rel is not just teams fighting for the top spots but teams fighting NOT to be at the bottom. In the current setup, what is a team fighting for if they are 2-9 at the end of the season? In the current setup, just pride. In pro/rel, you'll have teams at the bottom fighting for their survival. Every game becomes important, no matter the position in the conference. It's much more entertaining and fairer overall.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Never going to happen -

YES, we need to grow a law school. At least somebody we know contracted to get a "med" school onto their campus.

Lawyers, Doctors = well-backed SEC programs (with influence in their Legislature).
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    Oh I know it's a pipe dream.

If it happens, why would you be done with college athletics? It would actually give a chance for some teams to reach bigger heights (Boise) while allowing others that are being propped up to fall down (Vanderbilt, Wake Forest). LaTech could finally have a shot (albeit very small) of getting SEC/BigXII schools coming to the Joe yearly. One of the best aspects of pro/rel is not just teams fighting for the top spots but teams fighting NOT to be at the bottom. In the current setup, what is a team fighting for if they are 2-9 at the end of the season? In the current setup, just pride. In pro/rel, you'll have teams at the bottom fighting for their survival. Every game becomes important, no matter the position in the conference. It's much more entertaining and fairer overall.
    Too much of a professional sports aspect to college athletics already -

I don't want anymore "professional" influence

I've curtailed my dollars already due to the trend that's happening

I will curtail them even further to the point of non-support
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Too much of a professional sports aspect to college athletics already -

I don't want anymore "professional" influence
    I guess you can claim that anything coming from a professional league as "professional" but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

In reality if you consider pro/rel in college sports, it's really the antithesis of how American sports leagues work. One could argue that it's inherently "unprofessional" in an American sense.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

To me, the G5 schools need to spin this in their favor. Market your games as authentic amatuer competition. Publicize the idea that our leagues don't consist of "paid to play" athletes. These contracts for college athletes really is a turnoff for alot of people so take advantage of it.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I don't know if making the P5 pro is a good move for them. The reason people watch college football is tradition and some ownership of their favorite schools. If kids get paid and no longer have to make grades, it's just a low-rent NFL. The product, even in the SEC, is so inferior to the NFL as it is.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    To me, the G5 schools need to spin this in their favor. Market your games as authentic amatuer competition. Publicize the idea that our leagues don't consist of "paid to play" athletes. These contracts for college athletes really is a turnoff for alot of people so take advantage of it.
    Will it be perceived as sour grapes though and backfire?

+ Reply to Thread