+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Systemic Racism?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: What is Systemic Racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    And also, do you think you would be equally positioned to be successful if your professional work environment was representative of black culture?
    probably so, because i'm socially awkward regardless of the cultural context. but even if i were not, do you think i would blame my lack of success on systemic racism?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    probably so, because i'm socially awkward regardless of the cultural context. but even if i were not, do you think i would blame my lack of success on systemic racism?
    It is not about blame, but understanding.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

It is not about blame, but understanding.
    you really should quit saying that. it is totally about blame. if it were just about understanding, this discussion would not get anyone's attention.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

you really should quit saying that. it is totally about blame. if it were just about understanding, this discussion would not get anyone's attention.
    Sometimes there isn’t someone currently living to blame for the problem. But we can’t let that fact keep us from acknowledging there is a problem.

And whether it is “helpful to blame” a problem on the system may depend on whether you are looking at the problem from the benefit to the individual or the benefit to a population.

Sure, in any given case, an individual will get further if they don’t blame their circumstances. We can agree on that. But the black population has a steeper hill to climb due to systemic racism, and statistically across the population the group suffers from that. To benefit the group, you have to understand and acknowledge the problem.

Again, for our countries 200+ year history shared by whites and blacks alike, white folks used their power for the vast majority of those years to exclude the black population from power and economic privileges which set up a system that continues to bestow privilege to white people.

There need not be guilt or blame on any person living today in recognizing this situation UNLESS you are not interested in helping address the problem.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

you really should quit saying that. it is totally about blame.
    Not for me. I think this is THE big issue for many folks that are super sensitive about this topic. They feel like they are being blamed for the disadvantages of minorities that they can't dismiss. Or, they're worried that the solution is going to be something that mimics the great society (I fear that too).

I think the best thing that could come from a discussion on systemic racism is the empathy of those who are in positions of power (those people are by and large, caucasian).
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Not for me. I think this is THE big issue for many folks that are super sensitive about this topic. They feel like they are being blamed for the disadvantages of minorities that they can't dismiss. Or, they're worried that the solution is going to be something that mimics the great society (I fear that too).

I think the best thing that could come from a discussion on systemic racism is the empathy of those who are in positions of power (those people are by and large, caucasian).
    good luck with that.

good luck with that.
    I have faith in you Bob. If people like me an JL an I can come around on this issue, you can too.

I have faith in you Bob. If people like me an JL an I can come around on this issue, you can too.
    And myself.

i was talking about empathy from people in power.

at any rate, if systemic racism amounts to people having a harder time in the workplace because of "white culture" then what an utter waste of time. maybe i'll start another thread to talk about actual injustices that disproportionately impact people of color.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

i was talking about empathy from people in power.

at any rate, if systemic racism amounts to people having a harder time in the workplace because of "white culture" then what an utter waste of time. maybe i'll start another thread to talk about actual injustices that disproportionately impact people of color.
    You underestimate your impact.

Start your thread with criminal justice.

i was looking for an old post on a completely different subject and stumbled across this by accident:
    I think most here would agree that racism still exists. Where people tend to disagree is (1) what are the causes, (2) who is to blame, and (3) to what extent, if at all, should the government do something to address it.

I tend to believe that the only way we will be able to overcome racism as a "society" is to make a concerted effort to put it in the whole idea of "race" in the past. I understand the importance of knowing history to prevent history from repeating itself, but there is a difference between learning about history and blaming every apparent disparity on racism.

Racism is undoubtedly alive and well in many homes in the US. These folks are basically lost - there is pretty much no hope that their minds will be changed. Our best hope, IMO, is that we teach our children that the only race they are a part of is the human race. Forget teaching white heritage or black heritage. If either are important then racism is justified because race makes us different.
    i know the whole "colorblind" thing is really out of style lately, but that guy had a point...

i was looking for an old post on a completely different subject and stumbled across this by accident:

i know the whole "colorblind" thing is really out of style lately, but that guy had a point...
    Yeah, I used to see it your way. That guy would not have believed it if you told him he would have a change of heart. Empathy was the difference.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Empathy was the difference.

How do you empathize with something you've never experienced?

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    How do you empathize with something you've never experienced?
    Practice and exercise.

By the way, I tend to believe what separates well-meaning liberals and well-meaning conservatives is that the well-meaning folks on the right tend to put principle over people (perhaps with the paternalistic view that adherence to principle will serve the people) whereas well-meaning folks on the left tend to focus on people over principle. Truth vs understanding. Judgment vs empathy.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Practice and exercise.
    That would be sympathy not empathy.

Maybe you should try this to gain empathy...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me

+ Reply to Thread