+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Regular games in Shreveport once LSUS joins us?

Varsity Bulldog jharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the roughjharris is a jewel in the rough

Regular games in Shreveport once LSUS joins us?

It occurred to me that if LSUS joins Louisiana Tech, it might make a lot of sense to have regular games (ie, weekly or so) in Shreveport. I'm not just thinking about men's basketball, but all the spectator sports that compete at a high frequency--women's basketball, baseball, softball (basically, everything but football).

I think doing that would accomplish a lot of useful things for the athletics program:
    1. Enhance the students' experience on the Shreveport campus
    2. Create a sense of cohesion for the university as a whole
    3. Further establish Tech's brand in the Shreveport market
    4. Potentially increase attendance. Hopefully, the attendance in Shreveport would be good. But attendance in Ruston could improve,too. Consider the economics of supply and demand. If Ruston's supply was slightly decreased (and moved to Shreveport), presumably the demand for the remaining supply would increase.

I think the main thing for such an effort to be successful would be to have the games regularly and at roughly the same time. For instance, every Saturday evening in Shreveport could come to mean Tech athletics (be it MBB, WBB, baseball, or softball).

Thoughts?

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Regular games in Shreveport once LSUS joins us?

There should be some regular appearances in Shreveport whether or not the merger occurs.
    Last edited by LookingForResults; 05-06-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

If the merger happens, which does not look great, I think all of the teams should hold a pre-season workout at the Shreveport campus. I remember as a kid how cool it was when the Dunkin' Dawgs had a practice at Captain Shreve.

I'd also like to have Tech host a basketball tournament at Centurylink Center and a baseball tournament at Fair Grounds Field.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

absolutely must have regular appearances in Shreveport in all sports.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    If the merger happens, which does not look great, I think all of the teams should hold a pre-season workout at the Shreveport campus. I remember as a kid how cool it was when the Dunkin' Dawgs had a practice at Captain Shreve.

I'd also like to have Tech host a basketball tournament at Centurylink Center and a baseball tournament at Fair Grounds Field.
    I would like to see Louisiana Tech host a football game at Independence Stadium at least once every other year.

The men's and women's basketball teams should host an 8 team tournament at the CenturyLink Center each year featuring teams from Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. One year, the men's team would host their tourney at CenturyLink while the women host their tourney the following year. The team that doesn't host their tournament in Bossier City should play 1-2 games there that year.

Would it be a good idea if Louisiana Tech were also involved with a summer football jamboree at Independence Stadium?

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    The men's and women's basketball teams should host an 8 team tournament at the CenturyLink Center each year featuring teams from Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Gee, a men's tourney to kick it off could look something like this (yeah, I added a school from MS and NM just for fun as I tried to have schools from different conferences):

Tech
    USL :icon_wink:
    SMU
    OSU
    UCA
    Ole Miss
    Southern
    New Mexico

That would be a pretty good lineup.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Gee, a men's tourney to kick it off could look something like this (yeah, I added a school from MS and NM just for fun as I tried to have schools from different conferences):

Tech
    USL :icon_wink:
    SMU
    OSU
    UCA
    Ole Miss
    Southern
    New Mexico

That would be a pretty good lineup.
    I think it would be a good lineup for the men's tournament.

Here's what I would do for the Women's Tournament (8 teams; 2 team each from AR, TX, OK, and LA)

1. Louisiana Tech (WAC)
    2. Southern or Grambling (SWAC)
    3. Texas A&M (SEC: 2011-12 NCAA Tournament Team)
    4. SMU (Conference USA)
    5. UALR (Sun Belt: 2011-12 Champions)
    6. Central Arkansas (Southland)
    7. Oral Roberts (Summit: 2011-12 Women's NIT)
    8. Oklahoma State (Big XII: 2011-12 NCAA Tournament Team)

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get 8 men's teams to commit three non-conference games without SERIOUS money and TV exposure. That won't be happening anytime soon.

It won't be easy to get even 4 men's teams without predetermined game matchups.

Better to work toward one marquee-type game a year that can actually generate interest.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

If they hold a tournament in Shreveport, it should be during the Christmas break. This wouldn't take away from any home attendance and would still get exposure in SBC. Only conflict is if it occurs at same time as the football team's bowl game.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

No tourney -

Just work for a good solid game, if it grows then look at a tourney several years down the road
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    No tourney -

Just work for a good solid game, if it grows then look at a tourney several years down the road
    Except for the really big ones, tournaments are kind of yesterday.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

And fairground field has been condemened...Absolute P.O.S!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Except for the really big ones, tournaments are kind of yesterday.

Sad. I agree, you do just not see tourneys much anymore. There are the ones in Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico and that is all I can think of off the top of my head (at least with more than four teams).

+ Reply to Thread