+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Boston Gets Drafted by the SAINTS!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: Boston Gets Drafted by the SAINTS!

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    If Diaz was good at his job he would have known. You can't believe theprofessor.
    Please show me one draft guide or mock draft that had Boston Scott going in the sixth round. Maybe it exists, but I certainly didn't see one. I don't remember much talk on this board about him being drafted before his name was called. Just more Monday morning quarterbacking from you.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    All this "liberal" newspaper and "liberal" Gannett talk is hilarious -- like I literally laugh out loud when I read it. Every single newspaper I ever worked for leaned conservative. Every single one. And the majority of the journalists I worked with leaned conservative. The fact of the matter is that most of the South is conservative, and the newspaper demographics, while probably slightly​ left of the norm, were still fairly conservative.
    The skinny portion of the Bible belt where you must have spent most of your career; I might say maybe to somewhat agree. Remember now that we, your audience and subscribers, read this stuff too and know the difference.
    Now please address the laziness that has crept into so much of journalism.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    The skinny portion of the Bible belt where you must have spent most of your career; I might say maybe to somewhat agree. Remember now that we, your audience and subscribers, read this stuff too and know the difference.
    Now please address the laziness that has crept into so much of journalism.
    It's not laziness. In fact, I'd argue today's reporters are much less lazy than their predecessors. What we have now are fewer bodies and more demand. We live in a 24/7 news cycle. Reporters are expected to tweet news in real time as it happens. They're expected to get the story done and on the website as quickly as possible. GIVE IT TO ME NOW, BUT DON'T YOU DARE MAKE ANY MISTAKES! The entire news process has changed. Before, a reporter had all day to work on a story to meet a deadline late in the evening or night. Now, that same reporter is expected to tweet the news as it breaks, report the story, write it, edit it, shoot some video to go with the story, post it to the web, and then update it again. Oh, also tweet some more stuff in your free time. Also, we cut out the middle management to help you with this, as well as many of your peers so you have to cover two beats instead of one. I honestly don't think laziness is an issue. I know many, many reporters who squeeze a whole lot out of the 40 hours they have available to work. Remember, the majority of these reporters are not salaried employees and overtime in today's news industry is nonexistent. So they either have to choose to work 60-80 hours a week (and many of them actually do social media on their own time) without any extra compensation and not have a life, or they simply have to not do as much as they'd like to do.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

It's not laziness. In fact, I'd argue today's reporters are much less lazy than their predecessors. What we have now are fewer bodies and more demand. We live in a 24/7 news cycle. Reporters are expected to tweet news in real time as it happens. They're expected to get the story done and on the website as quickly as possible. GIVE IT TO ME NOW, BUT DON'T YOU DARE MAKE ANY MISTAKES! The entire news process has changed. Before, a reporter had all day to work on a story to meet a deadline late in the evening or night. Now, that same reporter is expected to tweet the news as it breaks, report the story, write it, edit it, shoot some video to go with the story, post it to the web, and then update it again. Oh, also tweet some more stuff in your free time. Also, we cut out the middle management to help you with this, as well as many of your peers so you have to cover two beats instead of one. I honestly don't think laziness is an issue. I know many, many reporters who squeeze a whole lot out of the 40 hours they have available to work. Remember, the majority of these reporters are not salaried employees and overtime in today's news industry is nonexistent. So they either have to choose to work 60-80 hours a week (and many of them actually do social media on their own time) without any extra compensation and not have a life, or they simply have to not do as much as they'd like to do.
    Ok thank! I can see some of this for sure on a very small regional scale. But on the national stage and political circles of journalism I see a laziness syndrome everywhere that is hurting the country.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Ok thank! I can see some of this for sure on a very small regional scale. But on the national stage and political circles of journalism I see a laziness syndrome everywhere that is hurting the country.
    Or maybe facts are just liberal.

A lot of the "political circles" are full of non-journalists. What we have are a lot of talking heads who don't do any actual reporting.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

I think Paw Dawg is in the correct territory about what is wrong with "the press" these days in this statement:
    "Our own Boston Scott was ignored by our local dumb ass beat writer in favor of a guy who he THINKS should have been drafted over a Tech guy.

It is apparent way too much (national) "news" is reported from the perspective of the writer being what their emotions lead them to present "as facts" what they "feel" should be the truth. They cling to "un-named" sources like it is gold, and run with gossip often. It is about 80-90% of what we see reported as "news." Maybe it is the result of our "politically correct" culture. They go "twitch in their leg-orgasmic" when the actual truth agrees with their "feelings." Not so much dealing with local news.

We waste our time when we try to use the same process for criticizing them, however.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add one thing to your post. Long before your time, beat writers on a sports beat were salaried employees expected to put in 50 to 60 hour work weeks, especially during basketball season. In the past 10 years the federal government has cracked down on job classifications/functions that now have these same individuals as hourly employees who must be fairly compensated with overtime. Yet there isn't any money for overtime.

Throw in the extra responsibilities you listed and the fact travel time to and from the job is considered to be on the clock and there is far less time to actually cover the beat.

Now about this situation: Over the past 6 weeks teams like the Saints and Bengals have put Boston Scott through full workouts. It was very apparent in the past couple of weeks he had a good chance of being drafted. Cory could have made a few phone calls and found that information.

On Fox's show earlier in the week it was mentioned that the Bengals were going to take Scott later in the draft if he was still on the board. They had 2 or 3 picks after he was taken at 201. He was going to be drafted.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

He had a personal relationship with the Grambling player...

The more I think about this lame excuse the worse it sounds.

If he didn't have a relationship with Boston, it reflects on Diaz' ability to mix with people. Boston may be one of the finest human beings ever to go through LaTech.

If he didn't have a relationship with Boston, it reflects on Diaz' ability to mix with people. Boston may be one of the finest human beings ever to go through LaTech.
    Relationships are crucial in this business. I know nothing about Diaz's interpersonal skills. I know that was the main knock on Isabella when he was here. My personal relationship with Ryan Moats was the reason I was able to be with him in Dallas on draft night. I wouldn't have had that same type of experience with other players at the same time.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

If Diaz was good at his job he would have known. You can't believe theprofessor.
    I don't know. I think Boston getting drafted was a mild surprise to most people and getting drafted by the Saints was a real surprise. Both of those things had to happen to make it the big story it ended up being. Maybe he could have made some contacts with Dallas or NO people to see what the relative interest levels were, but the teams play that stuff pretty close to the vest anyway.

Diaz has certainly gravitated more towards covering Grambling so maybe this is just another example, but a Monroe kid who played local college ball having a shot in the draft is not a bad story to cover.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I don't know. I think Boston getting drafted was a mild surprise to most people and getting drafted by the Saints was a real surprise. Both of those things had to happen to make it the big story it ended up being. Maybe he could have made some contacts with Dallas or NO people to see what the relative interest levels were, but the teams play that stuff pretty close to the vest anyway.

Diaz has certainly gravitated more towards covering Grambling so maybe this is just another example, but a Monroe kid who played local college ball having a shot in the draft is not a bad story to cover.
    Why are you having trouble believing the numerous credible reports that had Boston being drafted. He dropped the ball because he is lazy, inept, and favors Grambling over Tech.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree and for me that alone is enough reason to warrant a story, but if I take off my Tech blinders you can make the argument that a local kid from Monroe/Grambling getting drafted is a bigger story than another guy from Tech getting drafted.

I think the Historian laid out some good indicators that Boston getting drafted and the Saints being a likely landing point were not as out of the blue as I thought, but Diaz was still faced with a choice of who to cover and his choice was not completely unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    Completely agree and for me that alone is enough reason to warrant a story, but if I take off my Tech blinders you can make the argument that a local kid from Monroe/Grambling getting drafted is a bigger story than another guy from Tech getting drafted.

I think the Historian laid out some good indicators that Boston getting drafted and the Saints being a likely landing point were not as out of the blue as I thought, but Diaz was still faced with a choice of who to cover and his choice was not completely unreasonable.
    Diaz was not faced with the choice. He had his mind made up. You act like his only option was either or. He is just lazy

Why are you having trouble believing the numerous credible reports that had Boston being drafted. He dropped the ball because he is lazy, inept, and favors Grambling over Tech.
    I'm still waiting to see any of the "numerous credible reports" that had Boston Scott getting drafted.

+ Reply to Thread