+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading currently?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

On to The Stand...probably a mistake, but it seems appropriate.
    I started feeling bad while reading it. King is such a great writer.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I started feeling bad while reading it. King is such a great writer.
    He really is. As soon as I finish one I have to start another. IT was terrifying.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Just finished reading It for the first time.

On to The Stand...probably a mistake, but it seems appropriate.
    I saw this on the shelf at the library and thought to myself "God bless the fool that picks that up for the first time right now."

I want to say I was fighting a head cold or something when I read it years ago. Even that wasn't ideal.

I've been mixing some Wendell Berry short stories in with Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Got a non-fiction pirate book on deck matey. And finally moved to Return of the King with the middle kid. He and the youngest also absolutely loving this series.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I have started the book series that "The Expanse" is based on. About 2/3 of the way through the second book. It's pretty good. Like the characters. Not sure I'm going to love where the story is headed.

Adrian Tchaikowsky has a pretty interesting pair of books that starts with Children of Time. More or less hard SF with some interesting twists.

If you want to go anti-Star Trek, a very downer view of the galaxy but an intriguing story, try Cixin Liu's trilogy that starts with The Three Body Problem.

Really good non-fiction: Agent Zigzag. It's about a British double agent during WW2. Fascinating reading about how it really worked.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to check out the Expanse as well. Excellent show.

On a more serious note, reading though Echoes of Exodus. It's quite thought-provoking.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Still chipping away at The Stand, but picked up LOTR this morning. I’ve never read all the way through. No time like the present.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I think I have The Three Body Problem on my to read list.

I finished Jonathan Strange, reading the books mentioned above and the novel of The Neverending Story. Apparently the author hated the movie, but it's seemed fairly faithful so far.

but picked up LOTR this morning. I’ve never read all the way through. No time like the present.
    It's so good. Taking forever to read aloud, but just so so good.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

He really is. As soon as I finish one I have to start another. IT was terrifying.
    I can’t make myself read it or watch it as much as I think I’d like to. I’m a grown made who isn’t scared of clowns, except one.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Like something terrifying? Read Dean Koontz's "Phantoms".

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I can’t make myself read it or watch it as much as I think I’d like to. I’m a grown made who isn’t scared of clowns, except one.
    Ha! Yeah, I’m still not sure I wave to watch the new one. Reading isn’t as intense, but still pretty terrifying.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Like something terrifying? Read Dean Koontz's "Phantoms".
    Koontz can write some very disturbing stuff. He taps into human psychology for fear better than most writers. He's a bit uneven but when he hits the mark it can be rather intense.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I just read a GREAT book, by an author that is a Louisiana Tech grad, no less. The author, Randy Grigsby, grew up in Minden, and lives Shreveport. The book is, "A Train to Palestine". Here's a recent review of the book (March 5, 2020) by the Jerusalem Post:

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Book-review-A-Train-to-Palestine-619871

https://www.amazon.com/Train-Palestine-Children-Stalins-1939-1943/dp/1912676273

This book is EXCELLENT, and tells the TRUE story of an 8-yr old Jewish boy and his family, who were forced to flee their Cologne, Germany, home one evening when Hitler's Nazi's showed up at their front door uninvited in Oct 1938. With thousands of others, they were immediately whisked away to a local train station and sent to eastern Europe, where they faced even further persecution from Joseph Stalin's communist USSR soldiers. From there, things only got worse. The book traces the young boy's cold and cruel odyssey, and the challenges with famine and disease that he must overcome as he makes his way thru eastern Europe, a Siberian slave labor camp, a tent city in Pahlavi, on the Caspian sea, and eventually to Tehran. All this, in an effort to make his way to "Palestine", at a time before it was named Israel.

This book is a home run, guys. It contains 5 years of valuable research done by the author --a former Tech Talk Sports Editor-- and tells the story of a young boy's determination, and his "will" to survive, some of the most brutal and unforgivable circumstances anyone has ever faced. I highly recommend it.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Grisham’s “The Broker”. Chicoms(allegedly) pulling the wool over everyone’s eyes with their surveillance system that gets hacked and manipulated by unknown cyber attackers. Hhmmm......

+ Reply to Thread