+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NSU loading buses to Wreck Tech

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Re: NSU loading buses to Wreck Tech

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    UTEP was horrible. We won WKU because of our defense. We beat Rice because they were horrible and they were focused on finals.

Yes, in typical COYHCSH fashion we played not to lose and lost both games at ODU and Marshall. Both programs, along with USM, own us.
    I wouldn't go that far. We've only played ODU once and we're 1-1 all time vs Marshall. Hardly being owned.

The Devil's Advocate in me says ODU also beat Rice who finished 2nd in the west and Marshall went 13-1 (albeit against a weak schedule) so it's not completely terrible. I do believe however that if we beat ODU, we would have beat Marshall in Ruston.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    UTEP was horrible. We won WKU because of our defense. We beat Rice because they were horrible and they were focused on finals.

Yes, in typical COYHCSH fashion we played not to lose and lost both games at ODU and Marshall. Both programs, along with USM, own us.
    What do you mean? Marshall doesn't "own" us.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Dawgs win by at least 30 over NSU.

People forget that LA Tech was coming off of a very bad 2013 year (4-8 record) when we ran into NSU in game 4 of 2014. Not that this is an acceptable excuse, but that particular LA Tech team didn't really know how "to win" yet (IMO). We got caught sleeping at the wheel, and it ended up being a real turning point for this program. After this embarrasing loss, the Dogs went 7-3. That 2014 team eventually finished the season with a 9-5 record, including an HOD Bowl win over Illinois.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    What do you mean? Marshall doesn't "own" us.
    Quote Originally Posted by techdawg28 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. We've only played ODU once and we're 1-1 all time vs Marshall. Hardly being owned.

The Devil's Advocate in me says ODU also beat Rice who finished 2nd in the west and Marshall went 13-1 (albeit against a weak schedule) so it's not completely terrible. I do believe however that if we beat ODU, we would have beat Marshall in Ruston.
    I think PD may not have been totally serious, but it seems many fans feel that if we lost the last game in the series with a particular team, then they "own" us until we beat them again. ODU/Marshall is so much more concerning because we play them so rarely

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I think PD may not have been totally serious, but it seems many fans feel that if we lost the last game in the series with a particular team, then they "own" us until we beat them again. ODU/Marshall is so much more concerning because we play them so rarely
    That's fair.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Ya know Skip is gonna have a WTF game every season (sometimes more than one). It might be this one. I know all of you follow sports....not just football...and you see upsets and head-scratchers all the time. Well...I do. Take nothing for granted.

We have a new offense this year, and still have the same old lousy defense. On paper, Tech is 2 TDs better, something like 35-21. But.... This is not a prediction because I can't (won't) predict what others will do in the future. I have no control over the players...some kid loses focus and drops the ball for no apparent reason. I have no control over the coaches either.

What I do know is Demon Nation is confident they can get another "W" in Ruston. No, there isn't a bunch of arrogant chest-thumping going on, a bunch of wild predictions of a shoe-in victory. But, there is a under-current of cautious optimism. And, a "I wanna be there to see us beat Tech again."

There is a little boasting coming from NSU's PR and their athletic department, but that is motivated in driving ticket sales and attendance. It wouldn't do to have as your marketing message: we'll probably get beat by Tech...but buy your tickets anyway and join us in Ruston! So, one would expect the positive spin.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Ya know Skip is gonna have a WTF game every season (sometimes more than one). It might be this one. I know all of you follow sports....not just football...and you see upsets and head-scratchers all the time. Well...I do. Take nothing for granted.

We have a new offense this year, and still have the same old lousy defense. On paper, Tech is 2 TDs better, something like 35-21. But.... This is not a prediction because I can't (won't) predict what others will do in the future. I have no control over the players...some kid loses focus and drops the ball for no apparent reason. I have no control over the coaches either.

What I do know is Demon Nation is confident they can get another "W" in Ruston. No, there isn't a bunch of arrogant chest-thumping going on, a bunch of wild predictions of a shoe-in victory. But, there is a under-current of cautious optimism. And, a "I wanna be there to see us beat Tech again."

There is a little boasting coming from NSU's PR and their athletic department, but that is motivated in driving ticket sales and attendance. It wouldn't do to have as your marketing message: we'll probably get beat by Tech...but buy your tickets anyway and join us in Ruston! So, one would expect the positive spin.
    While I agree HCSH will have a WTF game every year, we don't always lose them, and in general the quality of our opponents in WTF games have been improving every year since 2014

2014: NWST (L, FG final play w/5 turnovers), @USM (W by 11, terrible team), @ODU (L, OT), @Marshall (L, last play)
    2015: @KSU (L, 3OT), @UTSA (W by 3, final play), @UTEP (W by 2, terrible team), @WKU (L by 3; arguable WTF)
    2016: @Arkansas (L by 1), @MTSU (L by 4, final play), WKU (W by 3), Navy (W by 3, final team)

Based on this trajectory, I don't believe we should have a WTF game with NSU's level of competition. However, you can be optimistic/pessimistic for your hometown team if you like D80

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Every time I see a Northwestern fan ( shirt, hat, etc) I tell them to come to Ruston on September 2nd and yell for their team. Naturally, I'm wearing my TECH hat and shirt..

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

While I agree HCSH will have a WTF game every year, we don't always lose them, and in general the quality of our opponents in WTF games have been improving every year since 2014

2014: NWST (L, FG final play w/5 turnovers), @USM (W by 11, terrible team), @ODU (L, OT), @Marshall (L, last play)
    2015: @KSU (L, 3OT), @UTSA (W by 3, final play), @UTEP (W by 2, terrible team), @WKU (L by 3; arguable WTF)
    2016: @Arkansas (L by 1), @MTSU (L by 4, final play), WKU (W by 3), Navy (W by 3, final team)

Based on this trajectory, I don't believe we should have a WTF game with NSU's level of competition. However, you can be optimistic/pessimistic for your hometown team if you like D80
    You need to redefine "WTF" games. To me, WTF games are not games you lose (or win closely) when the other team is favored to begin with (KSU, Marshall, Arkansas, Navy and WKU). Rather, WTF games are games you manage to lose (or in the case of UTEP in 2015 & UTSA in 2015, almost lose) in which you were heavily favored --or at least favored-- to win, and you manage to terribly under-perform (NSU, ODU, USM I, USM II, UTEP, UTSA). And yes, I also consider games in which LA Tech blows a big lead in the 2nd half of a game --regardless of who's favored-- to be a WTF game as well. Losing a 4 TD 3rd Qtr lead at MTSU (2016) and the Houston loss at the Joe back in 2012 both meet this qualification.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

You need to redefine "WTF" games. To me, WTF games are not games you lose (or win closely) when the other team is favored to begin with (KSU, Marshall, Arkansas, Navy and WKU). Rather, WTF games are games you manage to lose (or in the case of UTEP in 2015 & UTSA in 2015, almost lose) in which you were heavily favored --or at least favored-- to win, and you manage to terribly under-perform (NSU, ODU, USM I, USM II, UTEP, UTSA). And yes, I also consider games in which LA Tech blows a big lead in the 2nd half of a game --regardless of who's favored-- to be a WTF game as well. Losing a 4 TD 3rd Qtr lead at MTSU (2016) and the Houston loss at the Joe back in 2012 both meet this qualification.
    100% agreement. You nailed it.

But...did ya have to remind me of that Houston loss, which was not 2012, but before that, 2011?

In 2012 we were 9-3 and had other issues that year.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    100% agreement. You nailed it.

But...did ya have to remind me of that Houston loss, which was not 2012, but before that, 2011?

In 2012 we were 9-3 and had other issues that year.
    You are correct. The Houston debacle was in 2011. And it STILL HURTS!

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

Weren't the Dawgs playing without some of better players in the 2014 @Marshall & Navy games due to players not keeping up their grades? Losses (or barely a win) are tough to classify as WTF when you don't have all your best players on the field. Granted, it is HCSH responsibility to ensure guys are maintaining their grades but when you hear 3-5 starters are missing the game due to grades it's hard to say it's a WTF game. Maybe an Aw-F is a better descriptor for those games.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

You are correct. The Houston debacle was in 2011. And it STILL HURTS!
    We shat the bed in epic fashion against Houston and Hawaii that year. Ugh, it hurts to even bring those games up.

What was it in the Hawaii game, like 4 turnovers in 5 straight plays or something?

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed View Post
    We shat the bed in epic fashion against Houston and Hawaii that year. Ugh, it hurts to even bring those games up.

What was it in the Hawaii game, like 4 turnovers in 5 straight plays or something?
    I remember the refs taking 30 minutes to review one play and killing all momentum and excitement in the stadium. That year started awful with Houston and Hawaii but luckily it ended well.

+ Reply to Thread