+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 Great Ideas

Puppy osl566 is an unknown

100 Great Ideas

The SGA Senate is working on a program called "100 Great Ideas for Louisiana Tech University" where we're hoping to pass 100 pieces of legislation (resolutions that offer support or bills that use our money) to help students all around campus. We're hoping to get some ideas from BB&B.

Our project fund is $2000 each quarter, so we can't get too crazy, but we do have a - as I like to call it - mystical fund that we could possibly tap into if necessary.

So let us know what you wanna see! I know a lot of people think SGA doesn't do anything, but hey, we're trying. We'd really appreciate the help. Thanks, guys!

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Re: 100 Great Ideas

I'd like to see some money and time spent advertising and promoting home Basketball games.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I guess this is the fiscal conservative coming out, but anytime someone talks about passing 100 pieces of legislation, I kind of cringe. 100 pieces of legislation seems like a lot for only $8K per year.

"100 Great Ideas" is a great idea, but you might stretch yourself too thin with too much legisltation.

Having said that, I agree with ITdrummer. There has never been any real promotion of sporting events on campus. Even the students who hang around for the weekends often say they didn't know there was a basketball game, baseball game, etc. You can usually find a flyer stapled to a bulletin board, but there is no buzz around campus. Creating that buzz might not require any money, but if you can pull it off, you would certainly be helping the athletic programs, and I think you would be enhancing the student experience.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I guess this is the fiscal conservative coming out, but anytime someone talks about passing 100 pieces of legislation, I kind of cringe. 100 pieces of legislation seems like a lot for only $8K per year.

"100 Great Ideas" is a great idea, but you might stretch yourself too thin with too much legisltation.

Having said that, I agree with ITdrummer. There has never been any real promotion of sporting events on campus. Even the students who hand around for the weekends often say they didn't know there was a basketball game, baseball game, etc. You can usually find a flyer stapled to a bulletin board, but there is no buzz around campus. Creating that buzz might not require any money, but if you can pull it off, you would certainly be helping the athletic programs, and I think you would be enhancing the student experience.
    Exactly.

When I was at Tech, I was fully aware of when the basketball games were because I was in the Hoop Troop. But if I wasn't I would have no idea there was a game going on.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Same here. I made a point to keep up with it, but most students don't. I also believe that creating this buzz could be done at little or no cost. You just need something to get people talking about it.

Are there any TV monitors in the student center these days? Maybe if people saw a running loop of highlights from this year's teams, they would think about going to the next game. Maybe email or text message reminders to students on game days? Remind them that they already paid for tickets in their tuition, so they might as well get the benefit.

What do you guys think? Surely we can offer a few ideas.

Big Dog justincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the roughjustincad is a jewel in the rough

Same here. I made a point to keep up with it, but most students don't. I also believe that creating this buzz could be done at little or no cost. You just need something to get people talking about it.

Are there any TV monitors in the student center these days? Maybe if people saw a running loop of highlights from this year's teams, they would think about going to the next game. Maybe email or text message reminders to students on game days? Remind them that they already paid for tickets in their tuition, so they might as well get the benefit.

What do you guys think? Surely we can offer a few ideas.
    I love that idea! And for $2k, you could install a new TV for this purpose if there isn't one existing. One issue I could see with this is there would need to be high quality video taken at games (don't want grainy video or video from bad angles). Also, a key would be keeping it updated.

If not the TV, there is an area of the wall behind the bulldog in the student center that was at one time dedicated to basketball. Maybe update that area to advertise games and KEEP IT CURRENT!

Maybe even having lifesize cardboard cutouts of some of the players around campus to promote gamedays?

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

An observation...100 is too many.

Get 100 ideas.

Prioritize. Work the top five, maybe ten. When you kill one, pull up the next one.
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Big Dog dch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the roughdch028 is a jewel in the rough

A mystical fund huh?

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

+100

Quote Originally Posted by justincad View Post
    I love that idea! And for $2k, you could install a new TV for this purpose if there isn't one existing. One issue I could see with this is there would need to be high quality video taken at games (don't want grainy video or video from bad angles). Also, a key would be keeping it updated.

If not the TV, there is an area of the wall behind the bulldog in the student center that was at one time dedicated to basketball. Maybe update that area to advertise games and KEEP IT CURRENT!

Maybe even having lifesize cardboard cutouts of some of the players around campus to promote gamedays?
    Putting up posters and flyers on a wall isn't enough.

I meant, have people walking around the student center/quad/plaza promoting the games. Not just the "big" games. Every game.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Idea #1: Extend library operating hours (24 hours a day?) during last two weeks of each quarter.

The SGA can work with the university to extend the operating hours of the Tech library during the last two weeks of each quarter. This would allow students additional access to the library during finals' week for study sessions and research for term papers. If staffing is a problem, then the SGA and Louisiana Tech may recruit members of the honor societies to volunteer for non-essential tasks at the library, such as restocking the library shelves and checking copy machines.

Idea #2: Install new bulletin boards at Hide-A-Way Park

The current bulletin board at Hide-A-Way Park looks old and doesn't have much useful information posted. The SGA could install a new bulleitn board at the main entrance of the park. In addition, the SGA should post a detailed course map of the frisbee golf course, rules and regulations of the park, and information on reserving areas of the park.

Idea #3: Expand SGA's Department of Environmental Action into the Campus Development Department

It seems that the Environmental Action Department seems to narrowly focused. The main projects for this department are recycling on campus and Hide-A-Way Park. I believe the department can do much more on campus besides those two tasks. I would rename the department the Department of Campus Development and give it the task of improving the physical aspects of the Louisiana Tech campus.

There are a lot of small projects that can be done around the campus to improve the overall look of the physical grounds. Bike racks can be moved off of the Alumni Walkway. Flower beds can be redone. The vines on the covered bridge across from Hale Hall need to be removed. The lights in front of the Memorial Gymnasium and around the Tech seal in Centennial Plaza need to be renovated.

Idea #4: Establish a volunteer program for improving Louisiana Tech's physical grounds

Along with Idea #3, the SGA should work with the university, the student organizations, and private citizens and groups in the City of Ruston to create a program to do small beautification projects of the Tech campus. The SGA would compile a list of all the issues with the physical grounds, and student organizations would volunteer to fix the issues in a small area of the campus.

The larger projects would still be done by the university. However, smaller projects have redoing flower beds, replacing lights and light fixtures, repairing small cracks and missing bricks, and trimming vines and overgrown vegetation could be done by student organizations and private groups in Ruston. I envision this as a Big Event-type event, but on a much more regular basis than just once a year.
    Last edited by TechAlum05; 12-04-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Champ Tech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to beholdTech78 is a splendid one to behold Tech78's Avatar

1) Bike racks
    2) Benches
    3) Landscaping improvements everywhere - prioritize and focus on building entrances
    4) Signage
    5) Promotion of athletics

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Putting up posters and flyers on a wall isn't enough.

I meant, have people walking around the student center/quad/plaza promoting the games. Not just the "big" games. Every game.

"Hey, now that the election is over, get some obnoxious outfit to robo call everybody 50 times/day the season schedule. Somebody from India will do it on the cheap." Your Congressional Fundraiser

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Setting a random number of legislative items to pass is a bad idea. Bad legislation will be passed just to get to the goal.

I would maybe go the other way, and find ways to simplify the current rules.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Take over LSUS :icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread