+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Woman Claims Starburst Candies Are Dangerously Chewy in Lawsuit

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: Michigan Woman Claims Starburst Candies Are Dangerously Chewy in Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Do we know whether or not that was the first time the woman had ever had a Starburst? If not, then I agree with you. If she had never had one before, then how should she know to avoid them?
    That's a fair point, but here is another way to look at it:

I have never drunk a glass of Clorox bleach, but if I chose to do so, I would quickly figure out that the product could cause harm to me and I would spit out the bleach before it did permanent damage to my tongue. If this were her first Starburst, then when she bit into it and realized how "chewy" it was, she should have spit it out to avoid hurting her jaw.

In my case, I would be using the Clorox inappropriately, so my case would probably not go far. In her case, she is not misusing the product, so the court is hearing her case. However, in both cases, common sense could solve the problem without any attorneys.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Thank Moats they didn't give her a Now-And-Later.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

They need to put her head in a vice and get a 2x4 and knock out all of her teeth so she won't ever have that problem again. People like her need to be tortured until common sense comes upon them.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

This is like some strange advertising campaign.
    "Starburst, the 'dangerously chewy' candies."

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    This is like some strange advertising campaign.
    "Starburst, the 'dangerously chewy' candies."
    Me likes...
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    That's a fair point, but here is another way to look at it:

I have never drunk a glass of Clorox bleach, but if I chose to do so, I would quickly figure out that the product could cause harm to me and I would spit out the bleach before it did permanent damage to my tongue. If this were her first Starburst, then when she bit into it and realized how "chewy" it was, she should have spit it out to avoid hurting her jaw.

In my case, I would be using the Clorox inappropriately, so my case would probably not go far. In her case, she is not misusing the product, so the court is hearing her case. However, in both cases, common sense could solve the problem without any attorneys.
    Not a good example because you know that Clorox is a chemical that is used to clean. This was a candy to be eaten. Frankly, I don't see the need for an astronomical suit. I could see having the medical bills paid. It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks for her pain to be gone, if that long. Vette's usually are gone a little over a week. She should also thank them because every time Vette's jaw locks up, she loses weight because she has to go on a soft food diet. I'm sure this woman will have the same result.

But frankly, the only reason I posted on this was to make a joke about Vette not being able to open her mouth too widely and it's implications to me, but then thought better of it.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

But frankly, the only reason I posted on this was to make a joke about Vette not being able to open her mouth too widely and it's implications to me, but then thought better of it.
    I feel sorry for you man

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

every time Vette's jaw locks up, she loses weight because she has to go on a soft food diet. I'm sure this woman will have the same result.
    Watch yourself big guy. We non-lawyers can debate this lawsuit all day without any consequences. But, publicly discussing a woman's weight can backfire in a hurry....especially when you live with her.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Big, huge difference. In fact, Vette doesn't even eat starburst, now and laters or any other excessively chewy candy for that specific reason. I'll tell you what. Go buy some starbursts and eat them and then eat some ice cream, cooked carrots, green beans and other regular foods and tell me you can't tell the difference.

Not saying it there isn't a difference, just that I don't see it. To me, it's all motion... My jaw does the same motion with starburt as it does food and everything else... Guess I'm just weird.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    Not saying it there isn't a difference, just that I don't see it. To me, it's all motion... My jaw does the same motion with starburt as it does food and everything else... Guess I'm just weird.
    I understand what you're saying, but seriously, get you a starburst and a bowl of ice cream. Sit down at the table and take a bite of the ice cream. Then put a starburst in your mouth and give it a good hard bite and then come back here and honestly say that you can't see the difference in taking a bite of ice cream and biting down on a starburst-and I'm not talking about starburst that's been in the heat of the car all day either.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I feel like somebody should be responsible for their own medical conditions. The candy is safe for normal people and if you aren't "normal" then you should be careful about what you eat.

IE: If you have a condition that makes you choke easily then you shouldn't put a big jawbreaker or chunk of steak in your mouth and then sue somebody for being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Horndawgs View Post
    I feel like somebody should be responsible for their own medical conditions. The candy is safe for normal people and if you aren't "normal" then you should be careful about what you eat.

IE: If you have a condition that makes you choke easily then you shouldn't put a big jawbreaker or chunk of steak in your mouth and then sue somebody for being stupid.
    I agree, but what if the person doesn't know how chewy the candy is? How can that person be faulted?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

This is why there has not been any noticeable human evolution in recent history- we protect our idiots and keep the gene pool watered down.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    This is why there has not been any noticeable human evolution in recent history- we protect our idiots and keep the gene pool watered down.
    Actually, there's a more obvious explanation, but that's for a different thread and different forum.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread