+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Where should LaTech rebuild baseball stadium

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Where should LaTech rebuild baseball stadium

At the monthly oldtimer lettermen's breakfast on Thursday it was reported they could have the site selection by the 4th of July. Breaking ground by August, they chuckled, when the group meets again. Hope so!
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Hawkins Field at Vandy is not very different from our field as far as dimensions. The more I look at other facilities, I am convinced we could rebuild in the same location. Slightly increase dimensions and add seating by increasing the number of seats over the dugouts and extending main grandstand up a few rows.
    That's my favorite scenario, but I think the demolition portion of the project would delay it quite a bit. At this point I'm not optimistic about anything for 2020 anyway, so my demo delay concern probably does not matter in the big picture..

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    That's my favorite scenario, but I think the demolition portion of the project would delay it quite a bit. At this point I'm not optimistic about anything for 2020 anyway, so my demo delay concern probably does not matter in the big picture..
    I like the idea too, if that is indeed what we do, we will just have to live with not playing at home next season, which would be fine imo to get a nice new upgraded facility.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I like the idea too, if that is indeed what we do, we will just have to live with not playing at home next season, which would be fine imo to get a nice new upgraded facility.
    Agreed. A sacrifice now for a better future.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Or we would be playing in a very bare bones facility with basically just seating and a scoreboard - which would be ok - once conference play started
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I wonder when any renderings will be released? I hope the athletic dept keeps fans updated.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I wonder when any renderings will be released? I hope the athletic dept keeps fans updated.
    Keep in mind, they don't know the site yet. They're still trying to have questions answered about the entire project for all sports. I don't know, but I suspect some of those questions include:

If the current site for baseball is feasible what other sites are feasible for soccer and softball from both an area and engineering standpoint? More than likely if we want to upgrade facilities for those sports they're going to have to move out of the creek bed. It's a sink hole laden flood area that we've never built on for good reason.

If soccer were to be moved, can a combined track/soccer facility work at the current track?

Would the old Carruthers Dorm site work for softball or soccer or both? If baseball isn't feasible at its current site, is it feasible at this site from an area and engineering standpoint?

If baseball has to be moved from its current location, could it work at the Rugby field if the road were removed?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

From the News-Star:

A few highlights:

-Soccer, softball, and baseball will not play on campus this coming year. The new sports complex in Ruston and Ruston High could be used for practice and games.
    -Tennis and Track will compete at their current facilities in the coming year.
    -Demolition will occur in the next few months and will cost about $500,000. Tech is going through the proper process to ensure the state pays for this.
    -Tommy said the damage appears to be between $17 million and $22 million
    -Softball and Soccer will likely move away from the creek bed given the engineering, drainage, irrigation, and other issues in that area
    -Tommy said what they're trying to accomplish "is far exceed most people's expectations."

https://www.thenewsstar.com/get-acce...F1588215001%2F
    Last edited by The Historian; 06-28-2019 at 10:56 AM.

To follow up on the previous post:

Given the information that's public so far it looks like the damage is somewhere around $20 million. The state's self-insured fund will pay a few million. FEMA will pay 75% or approximately $15 million. In an interview with Aaron Dietrich in May Tommy indicated a state appropriation would fill any gaps between insurance and FEMA. I suspect the governor gave Dr. Guice that assurance when he visited in the days after the Tornado.

If there is $20 million in public money and Tech is able to raise $20 million in private dollars, that would amount to roughly $22 to 24 million for baseball, $6 to $8 million for softball, $6 to $8 million for a combined track/soccer facility at the current track, and $1 to $2 million to create football practice fields in the creek bed, which would be perfect for practice fields for football but not much else.

Those numbers may look high., but there will be millions of dollars in engineering and site wok at all these locations. And thankfully it does appear they are thinking big.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I imagine soccer could be up and running with a field (at least to practice on) once they find their new location. Their previous facility didn't contain much (prefab pressbox, metal grandstand on concrete slab, lights). I assume their next facility prob needs locker rooms and restroom facility.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I'm sure I'm missing out on the details of what the masters are planning for the athletics master plan, but why can't we just chaulk up The Joe pitch?

Soccer matches are, when, Fridays and Sundays?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I was driving through campus and actually paying attention. I am not sure anything could be moved to the old dorm location or up on the rugby field without so much dirt work that the cost would prohibit. Just a Joe Shmow’s spacial relations assessment.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I'm sure I'm missing out on the details of what the masters are planning for the athletics master plan, but why can't we just chaulk up The Joe pitch?

Soccer matches are, when, Fridays and Sundays?
    When the first artificial turf was put down in JAS, it was lined for soccer and the team did play there. No reason that can't be done for 2019 at least.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

All things considered, we ought to hear some solid news on what the plans are soon.

LA TECH BASEBALL, SOFTBALL, SOCCER FIELDS CONDEMNED | KEPL
    https://kpel965.com/la-tech-baseball...lds-condemned/

McClelland says they’re working on cutting a deal for fall baseball and softball practice at Ruston high schools including potentially altering class schedules to accommodate, but the games themselves could be played all over…

“They may play some games in Frisco where they have a really great alumni base in the Dallas Fort Worth area, we may take some road games to Monroe, or Shreveport, or Jackson Mississippi.”

+ Reply to Thread