+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Laura

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Hurricane Laura

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    When, and who is responsible for Louisiana switching from fixed, negotiated deductibles to a percentage of the value of the property, which I think is 2%? If your house is "valued" at $200K your deductible is $4,000. My insurance company, USAA, claims it's not their fault, they have to follow state laws. Before you could choose a deductible amount...like you can for auto...and opt to pay more in premiums for lower deductibles, or vice versa.
    USAA typically has the highest deductibles. Repairing those are always a little more of a challenge when trying to help out a homeowner

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Yep, a friend who lives near Coushatta...rural homeplace...posted he has a new respect for folks who live in South Louisiana and deal with hurricanes on a regular basis.

But then, I have lived thru hurricanes before.
    True, true, kinda sorta. Even the worst in recent history...Katrina (minus the USACE...), Rita, Ike, Gustave are rare.

I do remember seeing some pretty significant damage to your neck of the woods from Rita. But, this thing was no Rita for sure.

Also true. Live through them before, hopefully will again.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    USAA typically has the highest deductibles. Repairing those are always a little more of a challenge when trying to help out a homeowner
    Guess I shouldn't complain, USAA has very low premiums. Times like these though when every house I own, all covered by USAA, have damage and will cost me at least a couple of thousand, and much more at two of the houses, it's like YIKES!!! I will write a check today for $3,000 to one contractor who has cut and removed downed trees from two of my properties. Given the amount of work they did, and it was a lot, I am gleeful it's only $3K.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Suddenlink is back on, we have Internet and cable back!!!

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

I you haven’t considered volunteering or passing the hat, I’d ask you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    My wife and I spent most of the day yesterday bringing ice, water and other stuff to those in need. Most of it came from the stash the city accumulated via donations from companies and kept at the Event Center. We made three trips to Walmart and bought some items folks said they needed. Offered to do more but most people are self-sufficient, proud, and really only want what they can't get...namely ice and drinking water. Last night I was having trouble giving away the last of the ice and water. Most people would say, thanks, but we're good.

We will check again today as I have a stack of bottled water and my deep freeze is stuffed with bags of ice.

Last night a group of folks treated a Texas electric company crew to a meal at Chili's. One of the local radio stations was on hand doing a live broadcast and interviewed the fellows. They were embarrassed people were making such a fuss over them. That! is the true nature of heroism. They don't view what they are doing as being anything extraordinary. "Just happy to help," one said. Another added, "And we're not leaving until every single person has power restored."

While making my rounds the past couple of days I have had the opportunity to speak with some of the out-of-state crews. One from Florida said, he can't count the number of times crews from Louisiana would roll into Florida after a major hurricane, and usually were the first out-of-state crews to arrive. He said he was happy to repay the favor.

Humble...that best describes these heroes.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

There are so many opportunities to do that, I agree. I am from Grant Parish and will spend many weekends there helping clear trees that are down. They have half the parish remaining today with no power, many still need tarps for their houses, and many are eating meals cooked at churches and other general locations. This is the area I am familiar with, but there are so many areas to choose from, and so many trust worthy organizations to choose from where you can donate.

My wife also joined a group of NSU faculty and staff making homemade lunches and suppers for the hard-working electric crews. I helped in distributing them yesterday. We met a crew from Oklahoma, 10 fellows, working below Natchitoches along the Cane River area. Brought them ice chests of soft drinks and plates of chicken fettucine and meat pies/dirty rice. I had the pleasure of being able to sample both...very good!

Again, it is remarkable how absolutely humble and selfless these guys are. "Glad we can help.." that's what you hear the most.

On campus they have set up an encampment, amazing. They have these portable barracks, 40-foot trailers, which have bunk beds in them. There are food trucks and portable kitchens and huge "circus" tents with dining tables and couches with big screen TVs, all with a/c provided.

When I worked out west fighting forest fires the Oregon and California national guard would provide services to us. They had portable showers and mess tents where the food was plentiful and pretty darn good too. Mostly though, as we were 16 hours at a time on the fire line, we ate MREs. We would sleep under trucks, wrapped in a blanket, and mighty glad just to be out of the smoke and heat of the fire line.

Getting some alarming reports out of Alex area, Rapides, Lasalle, and Grant parishes of out-of-state crews not being well-treated. Locals blame CLECO who they allege is interfering in local support from individuals and churches and other organizations. In one case a church opened their community center which has some shower facilities to any crews wishing to use it. After 16 hours in this heat/humidity working all day, the first thing anyone would want is a dern shower! The church gave out towels but apparently someone...from CLECO?...came around and confiscated those, and has issued a statement that crews on their payroll and/or being compensated by the company are not permitted to accept any help from individuals or private entities (churches). That might be okay if CLECO was providing everything the crews needed, but apparently they are not.

Also, your Louisiana guvnor (he's not my guvnor) is a shameful POS. He has totally turned his back on SW and western Louisiana, made worse by his stupid national statement that Louisiana dodged a bullet and everything is okay here. What an effing POS!

I am making inquiries and hopefully a caravan of relief will be headed to Alex to bring some food/supplies to those selfless crews. I hope it is not true about CLECO, or it has been greatly exaggerated. I have worked with CLECO quite a bit in the past in economic development projects in CENLA and always found them to be extremely generous and helpful.

Better news out of Alex...some of the publicity generated from social media and other means got certain folks off of high center.

Getting some alarming reports out of Alex area, Rapides, Lasalle, and Grant parishes of out-of-state crews not being well-treated. Locals blame CLECO who they allege is interfering in local support from individuals and churches and other organizations. In one case a church opened their community center which has some shower facilities to any crews wishing to use it. After 16 hours in this heat/humidity working all day, the first thing anyone would want is a dern shower! The church gave out towels but apparently someone...from CLECO?...came around and confiscated those, and has issued a statement that crews on their payroll and/or being compensated by the company are not permitted to accept any help from individuals or private entities (churches). That might be okay if CLECO was providing everything the crews needed, but apparently they are not.

Also, your Louisiana guvnor (he's not my guvnor) is a shameful POS. He has totally turned his back on SW and western Louisiana, made worse by his stupid national statement that Louisiana dodged a bullet and everything is okay here. What an effing POS!

I am making inquiries and hopefully a caravan of relief will be headed to Alex to bring some food/supplies to those selfless crews. I hope it is not true about CLECO, or it has been greatly exaggerated. I have worked with CLECO quite a bit in the past in economic development projects in CENLA and always found them to be extremely generous and helpful.
    You getting that off Facebook?

The Governor said “We’re only going to dodge a bullet so many times,” speaking to Marco, which thankfully did not live up to its forecasted potential. If you can point me to where he said, everything’s okay, or expand on how he’s turned his back on SWLA, I’d be interested.

Better news out of Alex...some of the publicity generated from social media and other means got certain folks off of high center.
    Oh. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    There are so many opportunities to do that, I agree. I am from Grant Parish and will spend many weekends there helping clear trees that are down. They have half the parish remaining today with no power, many still need tarps for their houses, and many are eating meals cooked at churches and other general locations. This is the area I am familiar with, but there are so many areas to choose from, and so many trust worthy organizations to choose from where you can donate.
    Yes, goodness gracious so much devastation in Grant Parish.

You getting that off Facebook?

The Governor said “We’re only going to dodge a bullet so many times,” speaking to Marco, which thankfully did not live up to its forecasted potential. If you can point me to where he said, everything’s okay, or expand on how he’s turned his back on SWLA, I’d be interested.
    You are as out of touch with reality on this as you are on George Floyd. The facts have a way of alluding you.

Tell you what, since I know you will simply attempt to brush this off...drive your ass down to Lake Charles and ask those folks where the guvnor is. For the record, I have not been to LC since the storm passed. I was in Deridder the other day and did speak with people from LC, both displaced residents and other relief workers. It is THEM saying all the negatives about JBE! Go convince them, with your typical libtard view, that everything is hunky dory. Go ahead...

BTW, Facebook is pure libtard too! They have made a concerted effort to remove all non-lefty material and sites. They ban people for posts they don't like, etc.. so, as you lefties continue to malign FB, remember they are you!!!

+ Reply to Thread