+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ESPN makes significant talent cuts

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: ESPN makes significant talent cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Wade_Antley View Post
    I really don't understand why in 2017 this isn't possible.

I canceled my "cable" last summer. It was ballooning upwards of $200 a month and I haven't missed it. I actually hated it (I live in Canada) and can't get any channels that I want but would be more than willing to pay good money for the channels that I want.

Additionally when I'm home (Bayou D'arbonne) at my parents we can't even get cell reception without walking up the hill. Internet is only available through Direct TV satellite I think and it's horribly expensive and frustratingly slow.
    It is possible. No one wants to do it. Not enough profit.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

ding ding ding

we have a winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I disagree -

This is the first crack in the bursting of the "sports bubble" - just like we saw the bursting of the "dot.com bubble" and "mortgage bubble" and we are also seeing the beginning of the implosion of the "education bubble"...

I fully expect this to have a far reaching effect especially at the collegiate level (the only one that won't suffer is the NFL in all likelihood) -

Programs have become bloated with excess revenues from overpriced tv contracts - especially at the P5 level where costs and infrastructure improvements are directly tied to these overpriced media right fees

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    ...a lot of cuts...not sure about the talent!
    The word "talent" was used as a term of the industry. Sorry for talking over your head. ;-)

"Talent" is the shortened definition of "on-air talent" . . . the talking heads.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I disagree -

This is the first crack in the bursting of the "sports bubble" - just like we saw the bursting of the "dot.com bubble" and "mortgage bubble" and we are also seeing the beginning of the implosion of the "education bubble"...

I fully expect this to have a far reaching effect especially at the collegiate level (the only one that won't suffer is the NFL in all likelihood) -

Programs have become bloated with excess revenues from overpriced tv contracts - especially at the P5 level where costs and infrastructure improvements are directly tied to these overpriced media right fees
    Yes, but back on point.

What is Tech doing to answer this situation?

What conduit our we/C-USA planning for the future?

I've always felt we needed to do our own local PPV or advertiser-sponsored programming, but that might be asking too much of Learfield to do for a G5.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yes, but back on point.

What is Tech doing to answer this situation?

What conduit our we/C-USA planning for the future?

I've always felt we needed to do our own local PPV or advertiser-sponsored programming, but that might be asking too much of Learfield to do for a G5.
    I agree - but I'm afraid we have no one in charge that "GET'S IT", especially on the marketing media side...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I agree - but I'm afraid we have no one in charge that "GET'S IT", especially on the marketing media side...
    ...but he must get it. He just got a raise.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Even Dr. Guice makes mistakes every now and then...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Somebody who grows up with cable TV . . . I just can't expect them to get it.

Over-the-air TV is still the ol' standby. Grow up with 3 channels (and only three) and one has a different perspective.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Over-the-air TV is still the ol' standby. Grow up with 3 channels (and only three) and one has a different perspective.
    Yep, now with a $10 digital antenna you can get more OTA stations than we had growing up. The cost of air time on many of those stations is very inexpensive. Our most recent excuse it production right? The same production we agreed to provide as a part of C-USA?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

We need to partner with a Media company similar to the Saints did with Raycom.

If you look at NexStar, they have stations in Shreveport, Monroe, Baton Rouge & Tyler.

Tech can produce the games - get someone like Sean Fox to do PxP with a former Tech Player to do color. Games would be available on ESPN3 outside of Louisiana.

The games could be aired on any of the following stations OTA (or their subchannel)/Cable:

Nexstar Owned or Operated

Natchez/Alexandria
    WNTZ-TV 48 Fox/MyNetworkTV
    Baton Rouge WGMB-TV ## 44 Fox
    WBRL-CD ## 21 The CW
    WVLA-TV 33 (34) NBC
    KZUP-CD 19 (20) Independent
    Lafayette KLFY-TV §§ 10 (10) CBS
    Monroe/El Dorado KARD Q 14 (36) Fox
    KTVE 2 10 (27) NBC
    Shreveport/Texarkana KTAL-TV 6 (15) NBC
    KMSS-TV ## 33 (34) Fox
    KSHV-TV 45 (44) MyNetworkTV
    Jacksonville/Tyler/Longview KETK-TV ## 56 (22) NBC
    KFXK-TV 51 (31) Fox
    KTPN-LD 47 (48) MyNetworkTV
    KLPN-LD
    (satellite of KTPN-LD)
    47 (47) MyNetworkTV
    Lufkin/Nacogdoches KFXL-LP
    (satellite of KFXK)
    30 Fox

We'd also need to get a New Orleans station too.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    It is possible. No one wants to do it. Not enough profit.
    What's the old saying about cutting off your nose...

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Grow up with 3 channels (and only three) and one has a different perspective.
    With no remote control or DVR or VHS recorder. The channel changer knob breaks off, so you have to change the channel with a wrench.

Fight with your brothers over who has to get up and change the channel. We always played "guess the sponsor of the commercial" to see who would get up.

Then, when you changed the channel, more than likely a commercial was on, sooooo, you had to stand by the TV for several minutes to find out what was coming on next, just in case you had to change the channel again.

GOOD TIMES !!!

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

When I was a kid...
    Our "remote" had a cord that attached to box

Similar to this

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

When I was a kid, our remote had two legs and the same first name as mine.

+ Reply to Thread