+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a 4 seed possible

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Is a 4 seed possible

If I am interpreting it correctly, if we beat Rice Thursday (with Charlotte and MTSU winning out), the final results would be:
    WKU
    UAB
    Tech or Charlotte?
    Rice
    MTSU

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    If I am interpreting it correctly, if we beat Rice Thursday (with Charlotte and MTSU winning out), the final results would be:
    WKU
    UAB
    Tech or Charlotte?
    Rice
    MTSU
    I'm right there with you Champ!

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Thats where Im trying to get at. If we win, MTSU wins, Rice beats NT, and Charlotte wins out, all of us are 10-6. When doing H2H records, would we not do our record against all 3? All four have played each other, all a total of four games. We would have a 3-1 record in that sample of games, along with MTSU.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Thats where Im trying to get at. If we win, MTSU wins, Rice beats NT, and Charlotte wins out, all of us are 10-6. When doing H2H records, would we not do our record against all 3? All four have played each other, all a total of four games. We would have a 3-1 record in that sample of games, along with MTSU.
    And we beat MTSU head to head, so we may get a 3 seed out of this....

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Here is the CUSA men's tie-breaking rules. I assume it is the same for the Women. From what I am reading, head to head record comes first. After that, if still a tie, it appears the overall winning percentage can come in to play. If so, we would beat out Charlotte and MTSU. Rice would beat us out on overall record, but we would have beaten them twice head to head. The read on this is a little confusing.... Someone help me out with it.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...e-breakers.pdf
    I noticed the above link shows "06" as part of the address. I found this which appears to be for the 2015-2016 tournament. I know what a round robin tournament looks like, but I have no idea what a mini round robin is, but it looks crazy to me. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...iebreakers.pdf Maybe it means looking at the record of each tied team against the other tied teams. It shouldn't be this difficult to find the current tie-breaker information. I found this by doing a Google search. The tie-breaker information should be found on the Conference USA website.
    Last edited by Dawg Fan; 02-28-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added additional information

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    I noticed the above link shows "06" as part of the address. I found this which appears to be for the 2015-2016 tournament. I have no idea what a mini round robin is, but it looks crazy to me. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...iebreakers.pdf It shouldn't be this difficult to find the current tie-breaker information. I found this by doing a Google search.
    Basically says the same thing, but is a little easier to understand.

Multiple team tie:
    1. Best record playing the other teams in the tie. That would be Tech and MTSU.
    2. Head to head after that between the two teams. That would be Louisiana Tech.

Of course, this all hinges on us winning against Rice at Rice. I haven't done any of the calculations if we lose, but it seems we could fall as low as a 6 seed if that happens and the other teams win out. We MUST win Thursday or we won't get a bye in the tournament. If we do win Thursday, I don't see how we wouldn't get a 3 seed, which is what I am hoping so we avoid WKU until the final.

I will say this: I thought we had blown a chance at a top 4 seed after that disaster of a game with Charlotte.

If anything comes back to haunt us, though, it will be that loss and the two FU games in Florida.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

I reached out to Madi Morris. Here is the current tie-breaker information. http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/conferenceusa.com/documents/2018/2/28/bkbch18_tiebreaker.pdf

I reached out to Madi Morris. Here is the current tie-breaker information. http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/conferenceusa.com/documents/2018/2/28/bkbch18_tiebreaker.pdf

Thanks! When it states highest winning percentage, do you know if that is that overall or conference winning percentage? I assume conference, but when it states the number of games is not taken into account, it makes me wonder. All conference teams would play the same number of games in conference. Rice would beat us out on winning percentage - of course, we would beat them out head to head, if we win tomorrow.

Thanks! When it states highest winning percentage, do you know if that is that overall or conference winning percentage? I assume conference, but when it states the number of games is not taken into account, it makes me wonder. All conference teams would play the same number of games in conference. Rice would beat us out on winning percentage - of course, we would beat them out head to head, if we win tomorrow.
    I don't know what winning percentage it is referring to, but like you, I assume conference, especially after reading prior tiebreakers. It seems they keep trying to tweak the process, but it still isn't as crystal clear to me as I would like. One thing I did see that I like is there is no more drawing names out of hat. If nothing else works, RPI is used.

I don't know what winning percentage it is referring to, but like you, I assume conference, especially after reading prior tiebreakers. It seems they keep trying to tweak the process, but it still isn't as crystal clear to me as I would like. One thing I did see that I like is there is no more drawing names out of hat. If nothing else works, RPI is used.
    So true! If we win, I can't see us landing any lower than a 4 seed and should be a 3 - it works out that way in just about every scenario I can think of - unless they were to put overall record (including OOC) over head to head. I can't see them doing that. We are back to JUST WIN!

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I am sure Pawdawg is excited our women's program is currently performing the best of any. Maybe we can be a "women's basketball school" again very soon. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thank goodness we have one team that is playing well!

Upsets wanted, but not needed! Our regular season is over and now we just wait until tomorrow to see the final standings and seeding... The current standings of the top 11 as of the morning of Saturday 3/3/18 is:

IF all of the teams from 1 to 6 win, we should be the 3 seed. We would have the 4 way tie breaker over Rice, MTSU, and Charlotte.

Upsets that would be nice would be:
    • FAU over Charlotte at Charlotte (this would take Charlotte down a notch and they are the only team in the tie with us that would get the tie breaker over us. For that to happen, though, Rice and MTSU would need to lose as well (that is doubtful). In a 4 way tie, we get the #3. So, if Charlotte wins (likely), we need Rice and MTSU to win too.
    • UTSA over UAB at UTSA. This would put WKU, if they beat UTEP (likely), as the #1 seed. I like WKU as the 1 seed and on the opposite side of the bracket from us if we are a 3. I would rather meet WKU in the finals and not in the semi-finals, if both of us advance in the tournament. UTSA could pull this off. They are tough at UTSA.
    I hate cheering for Rice and MTSU, but we need a 4 way tie and not a 2 way tie with Charlotte.

My predictions now for the top 4 seedings:
    UAB
    WKU
    Tech
    MTSU

Would like to have:
    WKU
    UAB
    Tech
    MTSU

I keep saying it, but we really screwed up on that Florida trip earlier.... If only we would have beaten those teams, we would be in good shape right now. Those were true upsets. I would call the Southern Miss and Charlotte games upsets, but those teams have shown that they can beat UAB and WKU, as well.

It is a strange conference year.

Anyway, here are the games today:
    WKU vs. UTEP at WKU (likely WKU winner)
    UAB vs. UTSA at UTSA (likely UAB, but UTSA could pull it off)
    Tech - done
    MTSU vs. ODU at MTSU (likely MTSU winner)
    Rice vs. North Texas at Rice (likely Rice winner)
    Charlotte vs. FAU at Charlotte (likely Charlotte winner).

Go FAU and UTSA!!!!!!!!!

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Just need a Rice win or Charlotte loss!

And UTSA knocking UAB back to second would be huge for us as well!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

No worries. Brooke has done a masterful job down the stretch putting her girls in a great position for post season play. The Lady Techsters appear to have more momentum than anyone in CUSA right now.

+ Reply to Thread