+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NW State Jalen West gets 7TH Year

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: NW State Jalen West gets 7TH Year

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I am hearing his 7th year isn't confirmed yet. There's another step or something. I dunno. But, to answer why he'd play at NSU one more year, maybe he's been told the NBA is wary of his injuries. Of his history of getting injured, and there is no interest. An injury-free, great season in college this year might be what he needs to draw that NBA interest. I think he had a knee injury and needs to show he has fully recovered. I will talk to Opie, or assistant coach Jeff Moore, when I get a chance.

As for West. He can play.
    I wasn't talking NBA. He has no NBA potential, and going back to college for a 7th year wouldn't help anyone's stock anyway, much less a 25-year-old man with a history of multiple ACL tears. I'm talking professionally overseas or in the D-League.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I will talk to Opie, or assistant coach Jeff Moore, when I get a chance.

Please do. It's nice to have somebody with such close ties to NSU who can get us this information.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I wasn't talking NBA. He has no NBA potential, and going back to college for a 7th year wouldn't help anyone's stock anyway, much less a 25-year-old man with a history of multiple ACL tears. I'm talking professionally overseas or in the D-League.
    According to his NSU bio, Jalan West has an undergraduate degree in general studies and is pursuing a second undergraduate degree in psychology. He just turned 24 years old and will be 24 at the end of his college career.

Jalan has been very vocal about his love for Northwestern State and Natchitoches. I had several friends who spent more than seven years at Tech, and they weren't playing a sport doing it. They loved the college life. There is nothing wrong with that. I've encouraged many young students to enjoy the process for as long as possible because once you head out into the real world you can't stop it. Life happens fast.

Perhaps he was really looking forward to playing his senior season at NSU, and it has twice been taken away from him. He wants to pursue that option as long as possible. He said publicly that he hasn't achieved some of the goals he set for his college career and would like one final opportunity to pursue them. Perhaps he knows that his professional opportunities are limited, and he wants to get as much education as he possibly can for free while it's available to him.

There many, many reasons why Jalan West would take advantage of this extremely rare, but not unprecedented opportunity for a seventh year of eligibility. Who are we to question what his motives are? I understand questioning the NCAA's decision to grant this waiver. NSU found four cases where a seventh year had been granted in the past, so it's not like he's the first case ever. It's rare, but not unheard of. But you don't know the young man or his motives for coming back/staying in college.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    According to his NSU bio, Jalan West has an undergraduate degree in general studies and is pursuing a second undergraduate degree in psychology. He just turned 24 years old and will be 24 at the end of his college career.

Jalan has been very vocal about his love for Northwestern State and Natchitoches. I had several friends who spent more than seven years at Tech, and they weren't playing a sport doing it. They loved the college life. There is nothing wrong with that. I've encouraged many young students to enjoy the process for as long as possible because once you head out into the real world you can't stop it. Life happens fast.

Perhaps he was really looking forward to playing his senior season at NSU, and it has twice been taken away from him. He wants to pursue that option as long as possible. He said publicly that he hasn't achieved some of the goals he set for his college career and would like one final opportunity to pursue them. Perhaps he knows that his professional opportunities are limited, and he wants to get as much education as he possibly can for free while it's available to him.

There many, many reasons why Jalan West would take advantage of this extremely rare, but not unprecedented opportunity for a seventh year of eligibility. Who are we to question what his motives are? I understand questioning the NCAA's decision to grant this waiver. NSU found four cases where a seventh year had been granted in the past, so it's not like he's the first case ever. It's rare, but not unheard of. But you don't know the young man or his motives for coming back/staying in college.
    I stand by what I said, and I do question NWST's motives. NWST is doing a disservice to this guy who has given them so much, and that's sad to see. A second undergrad degree in psychology from NWST is worth the same as a roll of toilet paper. If he's already 24, he will be 25 when he begins pursuing his shortened pro career this time next year. I think this man is getting some really bad advice not in his best interests.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I stand by what I said, and I do question NWST's motives. NWST is doing a disservice to this guy who has given them so much, and that's sad to see. A second undergrad degree in psychology from NWST is worth the same as a roll of toilet paper. If he's already 24, he will be 25 when he begins pursuing his shortened pro career this time next year. I think this man is getting some really bad advice not in his best interests.
    You are getting stupider and stupider in this ridiculous rant.

First...IT'S NONE OF YOUR EFFING BUSINESS WHY THIS GUY WANTS TO PLAY HIS 4TH YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY.

Next, and this is even STUPIDER: "NWST is doing a disservice to this guy..." Right! I'm sure this is the way it went down:

NSU: We've gotten you another year to play here.

West: But, I didn't ask you to do that. I don't want to play another year of college ball. Some guy named Dawg06 says I should pursue a pro career.

NSU: Nope, sorry. You have no choice in this matter.

Come on, 06, you've already doubled-down on a stupid rant. Go for the triple!

You are getting stupider and stupider in this ridiculous rant.

First...IT'S NONE OF YOUR EFFING BUSINESS WHY THIS GUY WANTS TO PLAY HIS 4TH YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY.

Next, and this is even STUPIDER: "NWST is doing a disservice to this guy..." Right! I'm sure this is the way it went down:

NSU: We've gotten you another year to play here.

West: But, I didn't ask you to do that. I don't want to play another year of college ball. Some guy named Dawg06 says I should pursue a pro career.

NSU: Nope, sorry. You have no choice in this matter.

Come on, 06, you've already doubled-down on a stupid rant. Go for the triple!
    Nah, I'll go for the home run after theprofessor comes back with another stupid defense. Like it or not, the bottom line is NWST is screwing over this guy's future by bringing him back for a 7th year.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Nah, I'll go for the home run after theprofessor comes back with another stupid defense. Like it or not, the bottom line is NWST is screwing over this guy's future by bringing him back for a 7th year.
    Let it go. As Dawg80 said, first off, it's none of your business. It's really not. You also have no clue if Jalan even wants to play professional basketball overseas. Perhaps he's so hell-bent on playing his final year of eligibility because he knows it's the last year of competitive basketball he'll play. You don't know that. I don't know that. But it's so ridiculously egotistical of you to tell him what's best for his life. This type of crap is one of the reasons people hate Tech fans. We think we know what's best for everyone, even when we don't know anything (like you in this case).

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like real life Van Wilder

Let it go. As Dawg80 said, first off, it's none of your business. It's really not. You also have no clue if Jalan even wants to play professional basketball overseas. Perhaps he's so hell-bent on playing his final year of eligibility because he knows it's the last year of competitive basketball he'll play. You don't know that. I don't know that. But it's so ridiculously egotistical of you to tell him what's best for his life. This type of crap is one of the reasons people hate Tech fans. We think we know what's best for everyone, even when we don't know anything (like you in this case).
    I'll keep going as long as you two NWST fans keep responding. Neither of y'all have given a single legit reason for West coming back for a 7th season with the Demons.

I'll keep going as long as you two NWST fans keep responding. Neither of y'all have given a single legit reason for West coming back for a 7th season with the Demons.
    You're so stupid. The only legit reason necessary is that JALAN WEST WANTS TO COME BACK FOR A SEVENTH YEAR. Nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    Sound like real life Van Wilder
    I have a friend who spent nine years as an undergrad at Tech.

You're so stupid. The only legit reason necessary is that JALAN WEST WANTS TO COME BACK FOR A SEVENTH YEAR. Nothing else matters.
    Sorry, but that's not a legit reason to award him an athletic scholarship for the 7th year.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Sorry, but that's not a legit reason to award him an athletic scholarship for the 7th year.
    I'm sure AD Greg Burke and Opie appreciate your input. But, you are clueless.

I'm sure AD Greg Burke and Opie appreciate your input. But, you are clueless.
    Have no argument? So keep the personal insults coming.

Opie is the one whose classless act against Tech is why Konkol hasn't scheduled NWST and should never schedule them again unless it's a guarantee in Ruston.

Well, don't schedule 'em this year. Don't want to see West embarrass us.

+ Reply to Thread