+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Grammys

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: Grammys

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Yes, we agree with that point. Most awards shows are exactly that. They do not go by commercial appeal, but by what they consider "art" (which is usually just popularity among the group judging).

That is the reason that Spielburg was ignored for so long for an Oscar. His shows were immensely popular by the buying public, but not so much among his peers.

When the word "popular" is used in the above context, it is confusing. Popular in the way you are using it is among the artist's peers or the judges. The other popularity that has been used in this is from the buying public. We agree that most award shows don't go by the popularity of the buying public or "commercial appeal", as you stated.

However, to say that the DC did not deserve a Grammy based on saying something that many people in the country music industry disagreed with doesn't hold water.
    And they wonder why so many people arent interested in awards shows anymore. I will be the first to admit that most of the music today blows, especially some fo the more popular stuff, but if that is what people like, it is what they like. When many of these artists arent even considered for an award, many of their fans wont bother to watch.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    And they wonder why so many people arent interested in awards shows anymore. I will be the first to admit that most of the music today blows, especially some fo the more popular stuff, but if that is what people like, it is what they like. When many of these artists arent even considered for an award, many of their fans wont bother to watch.
    I truly believe that radio stations are the ones that control what people hear and what becomes popular among the buying public. They only play already established musicians or ones that have some real inside pull to get the song played. It is a shame, but I think it has been that way for a long time. If you truly want alternative music that is good, you have to do the research yourself. Otherwise, you are stuck with the music they give you.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Yes, we agree with that point. Most awards shows are exactly that. They do not go by commercial appeal, but by what they consider "art" (which is usually just popularity among the group judging).

That is the reason that Spielburg was ignored for so long for an Oscar. His shows were immensely popular by the buying public, but not so much among his peers.

When the word "popular" is used in the above context, it is confusing. Popular in the way you are using it is among the artist's peers or the judges. The other popularity that has been used in this is from the buying public. We agree that most award shows don't go by the popularity of the buying public or "commercial appeal", as you stated.

However, to say that the DC did not deserve a Grammy based on saying something that many people in the country music industry disagreed with doesn't hold water.

I agree. However, it's not out of the realm of reason to maintain that the only reason they got the award is because of what they said and how the Grammy voters feel about GWB and that the voters wouldn't have voted for them otherwise.

The only other problem I have with these award shows is that even though WE know it's not an indication of how good the group is, most of the public will think they are winning because they are commercially successful.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I truly believe that radio stations are the ones that control what people hear and what becomes popular among the buying public. They only play already established musicians or ones that have some real inside pull to get the song played. It is a shame, but I think it has been that way for a long time. If you truly want alternative music that is good, you have to do the research yourself. Otherwise, you are stuck with the music they give you.
    I dont think I have listened to the radio for many years now, very sparingly.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Not totally true about the established musicians, partially so about the inside pull if by inside pull you mean having the financial backing to pay for them to play your songs.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I agree. However, it's not out of the realm of reason to maintain that the only reason they got the award is because of what they said and how the Grammy voters feel about GWB and that the voters wouldn't have voted for them otherwise.

The only other problem I have with these award shows is that even though WE know it's not an indication of how good the group is, most of the public will think they are winning because they are commercially successful.
    True, but the DC has won MANY awards before this - just not for this one album. If this was some group that had never won an award before, I might think of this differently. The way it is, though, is that it is POSSIBLE that they won because of the liberal voters and it is POSSIBLE that the album is really good and going unrecognized in the general populace due to political reasons (radio stations refusing to play it and anger of the buying public for that type music).

My point is that the Grammy may have been politically given, the CMA may have been politcally denied, and the lack of people even knowing the album is DEFINITELY due to political fallout. Otherwise, it would have probably been a huge hit like much of their other music has been in the past.

So, we can get angry about the Grammy going to them, but that MAY have been the only NON political move out of all of this. The fact is that we just don't know, because... well, just read the above again......

True, but the DC has won MANY awards before this - just not for this one album. If this was some group that had never won an award before, I might think of this differently. The way it is, though, is that it is POSSIBLE that they won because of the liberal voters and it is POSSIBLE that the album is really good and going unrecognized in the general populace due to political reasons (radio stations refusing to play it and anger of the buying public for that type music).

My point is that the Grammy may have been politically given, the CMA may have been politcally denied, and the lack of people even knowing the album is DEFINITELY due to political fallout. Otherwise, it would have probably been a huge hit like much of their other music has been in the past.

So, we can get angry about the Grammy going to them, but that MAY have been the only NON political move out of all of this. The fact is that we just don't know, because... well, just read the above again......
    Yeah, well...last word.

As I have stated, the DC no longer view themselves as country artists, so how can they win a CMA or a Grammy for country music?

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    As I have stated, the DC no longer view themselves as country artists, so how can they win a CMA or a Grammy for country music?
    That is only because they were shunned. They did like any good business person would do. They tried to change their market. I, personally, don't think that will work. They are definitely country music. They will have a hard time getting back into the good graces of that market, though. They will, probably, do some things now that are for more targeted audiences and give up the mass appeal route.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    I mean, Clinton was impeached because he lied, right?

At least Ok Go won something.
    actually, clinton was impeached for "conduct unbecoming of the president of the united states, i.e., getting head from monica in the oval office.

and yes, Ok Go RAWKS!

Puppy nice doggy has turned a few heads around herenice doggy has turned a few heads around herenice doggy has turned a few heads around herenice doggy has turned a few heads around here nice doggy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dawg View Post
    actually, clinton was impeached for "conduct unbecoming of the president of the united states, i.e., getting head from monica in the oval office.

and yes, Ok Go RAWKS!

i love how you started out so professional sounding and then you tagged the i.e. part lol

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Just curious Champion. Why didn't the Grammys pick up on the other two releases by the DC since 2003?

I think this comment sums things up pretty well...

Citing such past country Grammy winners as Lyle Lovett and Allison Krauss, program director Coyote Calhoun of WAMZ Louisville, Ky., said, "C'mon, this is the least important of all awards shows as far as country is concerned. (Judging) by some of the shocking winners in the past, this clearly shows a whole lot of the people voting in the Grammys know nothing about country."

Hate for Bush = Approval from Hollyweird

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Just curious Champion. Why didn't the Grammys pick up on the other two releases by the DC since 2003?
    Maybe this album is better than the last two. My point is that we don't know.

I really could care less, to tell you the truth. I am no DC fan. My responses have been about people calling something biased when it COULD be the other way around.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Maybe this album is better than the last two. My point is that we don't know.

yeah that's probably it.

Man Law - No Dixie Chicks (they aren't even hot anymore. Got that "natural" look going with hair under the arms thing)

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Man Law - No Dixie Chicks

+ Reply to Thread