+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogtor Evil's Gun Thread

Varsity Bulldog bdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud of bdawg's Avatar

Re: Dogtor Evil's Gun Thread

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    My main interest is playing the Matrix at the range...
    If that is the case, i like the auto loader. They don't have to be reloaded as often. Also, most of the maintainence issues will only occur if highly mistreated, or you get several 1000 rounds thru them. Any of your 1911 frames will work, if you are looking purley at range work, go for the longer barrel, if you think that you may ultimately use it in your vehicle (an extension of you home in LA, not sure about KY) maybe look at something that would be considered compact.

And don't forget ammo and extra mags. The first attack on gun rights is likely to be attempted as an executive order to reinstate the Assualt Weapons Ban. That would include high capacity mags (anything over 7). After that expect them to attempt a considerable increase in the tax on ammo. They figure if you can't get/or afford it, you want have it. I don't mean to hi-jack and have this go to politics, just reminding you why to get this stuff sooner than later. As for availablity, most of my wholesalers are running low or out of magazines. The better the mag, the worse the availablity.

Good luck.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I'd love a 911, but those things are expensive! I did find a Taurus 911 for under $500 online, but who knows what it would cost with shipping, FFL, and license fees.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog bdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud ofbdawg has much to be proud of bdawg's Avatar

I'd love a 911, but those things are expensive! I did find a Taurus 911 for under $500 online, but who knows what it would cost with shipping, FFL, and license fees.
    Ask around at the range where you have been shooting. There is likely somebody that has an FFL, and will do the transfer for you under $20. As for liscense, we don't have to do that in LA, so have no idea what you are looking at in KY.

If you do find an FFL holder who will do the transfer for you, I would suggest looking at Gunbroker.com kinda a sportsmans version of Ebay. Have transfered several, with no trouble.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Academy routinely has the Taurus 1911 on sale in the $500 range...it is a steal due to all the features it has including Heine Sights.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Academy routinely has the Taurus 1911 on sale in the $500 range...it is a steal due to all the features it has including Heine Sights.
    Those .45 rounds are pricey too! Of course, it would be nice to have a gun that's not plastic!

Maybe I'll move on up to the big boy rounds...:icon_wink:

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

The .45ACP is the finest round ever advanced by modern man! It will take most men off their feet at 50 feet, which allows one to focus on other potential doers of evil. The trigger pull is consistently the same, as is the sight plane. It is a very pointable weapon...oh, and racking the slide does tend to get the attention of anyone with half a brain!

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Do you all keep them in a safe? I was thinking about getting a handgun as well but I am worried about where to store it because I have young children. I havent fired a handgun in years. My uncle used to take me to the range all the time when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun.
    All of mine are in a safe with the exception of the snub nose SP101. My children are old enough and experienced enough that I worry less about what they might do if they find the pistol.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Me and my meager budget are looking at a S&W Sigma and some of the Rugers (P89 and P95 to be specific). Ammo price has me leaning real hard toward the 9mm. Not to mention that the sigma will hold 14+1 in a 9mm

I have a Ruger P95 DC and its a great range gun and it a good self defense weapon for my wife. Ruger makes their guns a little bigger but they are almost impossible to destroy.

9mm v. .45 is simply about take down power. Using a 9mm traditional round to an off center part of your target might not take them down, and if it does it probably didn't put them down considering the very compact and tidy wound. (for being shot) A .45 round anywhere on target will cause significant damage and put the down usually.

My buddies (military and law enforcement) prefer .45 and I understand why. Of course if you are truly shooting to kill once you are comfortable with the weapon a .380, .357, 9mm, or .45 should kill just fine.

We are preparing to add a csi/forensics class to our law academy here in Frisco and I spent some time over at the police station and the lab. The difference in wounds from the different rounds is pretty distinct. A 9mm is all most people would ever need.

I do also have a .45 sig and it's like a hand cannon compared to the ruger 9. The 9 kicks the shell on the floor, the .45 kicks them two stalls down the range.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

So here's what I want to get:

a semi-auto shotgun (or two) - tactical
    9mm pistol

What should I get?
    Last edited by DogtorEvil; 12-17-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    So here's what I want to get:

a semi-auto shotgun (or two) - tactical
    9mm pistol

What should I get?
    I can't help you with a tactical shotgun...well, I know that Benelli makes them and I haven't had a single issue with my M2 that I duck hunt with. No issues regardless of the load I'm shooting which is something that some of my friends with Beretta's can't say (it's been a few years, that may have changed).

I think Mossberg and Charles Daly are making some cost effective semi-autos. There's a great Mossberg pump tactical package for around $500 that comes with a regular stock and a pistol grip.

For the 9mm, you can get a really good pistol for 5-600. My personal favorite is the Springfield Armory XD-9. The Smith & Wesson M&P series are getting great reviews and are around the same price. If you don't want a polymer pistol, I'd look at Beretta M9 or 92. If that's a little too pricey, you can look at the Taurus Beretta clones. Taurus bought the Beretta factory in Brazil. They seem to get good reviews and you can find one for about $200 less than what you will pay for a Beretta.

Glocks are great pistols...reliable as can be. I like the ones I mentioned because they have more safety features. I've got a small kid, so that's an issue for me. I'm on a budget, so I'm probably gonna end up with a Taurus PT92 or PT 24/7 Pro. There's also a PT 917 that's like a Beretta clone, but about a half in shorter barrel. I may go that direction too.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Plexiglass how safe a Glock is in your pocket.

My brother in law is a reserve deputy and carries a glock when he has to. He said that many glock owners have the trigger lightend causing them to shoot themselves in the leg. I don't know if that is true, but I did hear that it was a glock Plaxico had in his pocket.

Remington Model 870 for the shotgun. The Taurus PT92 is OK, if you are into girly pistols. Real men tote Model 1911A's.

I would suggest a pump for your tactical shotgun. We keep one close by at home. Even if you have one in the chamber, you can shuck one, and no self respecting criminal will come toward that sound. The mossberg 500 was the tried and true version, but harder to find now. Look for an 870. Go to a pawn shop, and get a used 870. Less than $200. Then, go to Brownells.com and get the tactical stock and forearm. Add a tactical light to it, and you are done. I would recommend getting a surefire, with a pressure activiated switch. They will fully illuminate the target, as well as practically blind him/her allowing you to possibly get by without haveing to fire a shot. Also, as for ammo, look into some buckshot. The 870 will shoot 3", but 2 3/4 would be addequate in most instances.

The Taurus PT92 is OK, if you are into girly pistols. Real men tote Model 1911A's.
    Well yeah...I thought the 9mm was for his wife...:icon_wink:

Now, if you want the best of both worlds...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13619

It's a pretty penny, but it's manly.

Real men tote Model 1911A's.
    Cocked and locked too.

I knew I had read about a Texas Ranger that carried his 11's cocked and locked being the inspirtion for the Lone Wolf Mcquade movie. His name was Gonzaullas. This was in German so I had to translate it (actually google did).

Gonzaullas, whose life story inspired the action film "McQuade, the Wolf" and finally, even in Germany popular TV series "Walker, Texas Ranger" with Chuck Norris, His two Governments, he had already at that time sided with fuses equip and obviously they wore only preloaded in position "Cocked and locked."
    Last edited by rabiddawg; 12-18-2008 at 03:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread