+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SGA Prez Email

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: SGA Prez Email

You could also look in the Code of Urban Legends.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    You could also look for the Code of Urban Legends. My guess is that this is your best hope for finding that kind of law.
    You think it's a myth that someone created because we really didn't have the money to build real sorority houses or something along those lines?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    You think it's a myth that someone created because we really didn't have the money to build real sorority houses or something along those lines?
    It seems to be a myth from all over. The Snopes article doesn't address why more sorority houses don't exist, but does theorize about the reasons people buy into the myth (it's easy to glamorize a bunch of girls living together). Throw in the way college students tend to assume that everyone older than 25 is automatically a prude and there you go.

I have no idea why there aren't more sorority houses in Ruston, but it doesn't seem like a unique situation. My best guess is that the sororities can't (or couldn't) really get enough parents to go for it to keep them full (or pay for it). But I have no idea. Obviously they exist in some places.

Champ DellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond reputeDellDawg has a reputation beyond repute DellDawg's Avatar

It seems to be a myth from all over. The Snopes article doesn't address why more sorority houses don't exist, but does theorize about the reasons people buy into the myth (it's easy to glamorize a bunch of girls living together). Throw in the way college students tend to assume that everyone older than 25 is automatically a prude and there you go.

I have no idea why there aren't more sorority houses in Ruston, but it doesn't seem like a unique situation. My best guess is that the sororities can't (or couldn't) really get enough parents to go for it to keep them full (or pay for it). But I have no idea. Obviously they exist in some places.
    Not trying to throw race in here, but I have always wondered why there wasn't any black sorority or fraternity houses?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

You could also look in the Code of Urban Legends.
    wow

There's an entire section on sexually oriented businesses in the Ruston ordinances, but there is nothing in it that suggests the prohibition of sorority house "brothels." The city ordinances refer to more than 3 non-family members living together as a "roominghouse." The only restrictions against them are for zoning, and they are unconditionally permitted in the "Tech Village" zone. Fraternity and sorority houses are also explicitly listed and are permitted in the "Tech Village" zone.

It shouldn't be under the parish's jurisdiction either.

After reading that link, I'm convinced it's an urban legend...

Quote Originally Posted by DellDawg View Post
    Not trying to throw race in here, but I have always wondered why there wasn't any black sorority or fraternity houses?
    I don't know about other schools, but at Tech my guess would be that the black fraternities are just too small? Judging by the step shows I've been to, it looks like there are only about 10 guys in each of the black frats.

I don't know about other schools, but at Tech my guess would be that the black fraternities are just too small? Judging by the step shows I've been to, it looks like there are only about 10 guys in each of the black frats.
    That'd be my guess.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DellDawg View Post
    It always seemed to me that the traditionally black frats and sororities tended to have other priorities.

A big part of it, I would guess, is that Jim Crow laws and informal segregation throughout the whole country would have significantly limited the ability for "colored" organizations to obtain property, particularly during the time periods in which other greek organizations were obtaining houses. I'd imagine that most frat and sorority houses have been established for quite some time.

It reminds me a little bit of the explanation I've heard for why many African Americans have placed a priority on having a nice car. It is said that as segregation decreased and employment opportunities for people of color increased, one of the last things to open up was real estate. So, at that time, people of color would still encounter a good bit of both formal and informal resistance when trying to purchase property in more affluent--and traditionally white--neighborhoods, but had much less resistance when they went to the car lot (although they were--and still are--likely to be charged more than a white car buyer).

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

I hate it when I talk to someone who is just convinced beyond any doubt that brothel laws exist in whatever college town they're in, including Ruston. It's so laughable to think that is even a thing. If Tech were smart, we'd have had full greek housing years ago. DR is Sigma Nu, why hasn't he pushed Jim King to make some progress on it?

As far as the SGA president goes. Her predecessor rushed her SENIOR YEAR in an attempt to get the greek vote, which I guess worked out for her. And the current one is or was KD, but I never saw her out on the town or anything while I was at tech. They were both roommates of my roommate's girlfriend last year, and I'm pretty sure they harldy ever left their UP apartment.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dmcguirt23 View Post
    I hate it when I talk to someone who is just convinced beyond any doubt that brothel laws exist in whatever college town they're in, including Ruston. It's so laughable to think that is even a thing. If Tech were smart, we'd have had full greek housing years ago. DR is Sigma Nu, why hasn't he pushed Jim King to make some progress on it?

As far as the SGA president goes. Her predecessor rushed her SENIOR YEAR in an attempt to get the greek vote, which I guess worked out for her. And the current one is or was KD, but I never saw her out on the town or anything while I was at tech. They were both roommates of my roommate's girlfriend last year, and I'm pretty sure they harldy ever left their UP apartment.
    Allison was a Phi Mu member before she became SGA President. I think she became a member in her Junior Year, because she was with Phi Mu when she was SGA Vice-President.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Probably wouldn't care she was being a Christian Soldier and going to jail for it would just make her the talk of her knitting circle. In the end the measure passed and suprise, none of what she predicted happened. In fact Ruston has grown by leaps an bounds since then, and getting back to the original topic would this law and the growth it's spurred have happened if Dan Hollingsworth (Mayor then and now) had been anti-Tech and stood against it? Probably not, I'm just curious does this girl have a beef with the current Mayor or have ties to another candidate?

With statements about needing to better represent student interests/wants in Ruston and focusing on the Mayoral race you are implying that the current/recent mayor has not been concerned with student interests/wants and needs to be voted out.

This couldn't be farther from the truth and makes me think one of 3 things;
    She has a horse in this race
    Has an issue with Hollingsworth (whether personal or political party)
    Is uneducated on the issues
    It's probably a combination of the SGA trying to find a hook for their voter registration drive during the upcoming election year and some misjudgements about student life at Louisiana Tech and Ruston. I doubt Emily has an issue with the Ruston Mayoral Race.

Varsity Bulldog tangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the earstangidawg seems to have something between the ears

I have heard from some of the frats, that the school has shown interest in buying all the frat houses and creating a "Frat Row." However the frats are not in favor of this because a. the school would have more controll over them and b. the frats hate each other and if you made them all neibors it would create more problems. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but thats what I have heard.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tangidawg View Post
    I have heard from some of the frats, that the school has shown interest in buying all the frat houses and creating a "Frat Row." However the frats are not in favor of this because a. the school would have more controll over them and b. the frats hate each other and if you made them all neibors it would create more problems. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but thats what I have heard.
    I heard this too.

To me, I don't care if there is a frat row or not. I think they should at least be in the same area though. Having the ATO and KAs across campus (by Hut and Neilson) and Sigma Nu's and others by University Park is silly.

At Arkansas most are located around the the edge of the school, grouped close to each other, but no actual Frat Row.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I heard this too.

To me, I don't care if there is a frat row or not. I think they should at least be in the same area though. Having the ATO and KAs across campus (by Hut and Neilson) and Sigma Nu's and others by University Park is silly.

At Arkansas most are located around the the edge of the school, grouped close to each other, but no actual Frat Row.
    you don't even want to know how far away some of the other frat houses are.

Puppy ats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the roughats021 is a jewel in the rough ats021's Avatar

Thumbs Up Re: SGA Prez Email

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    All I care about is getting rid of the blue laws and having bars closer to campus, otherwise Ruston aint bad. It is what you make it.
    This.

+ Reply to Thread