+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Start Westin Elliot Now!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Start Westin Elliot Now!

The only way we'll see another QB on the field this season will be if J'Mar gets hurt and can't play or Holtz is fired. Holtz will not change QBs.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Just wanted to mention I played QB on a flag-football team, and I was pretty good. Even if I do say so myself .

As for Smith his weaknesses are so obvious that even casual football fans can see he sucks. One of his many flaws is he doesn't step up in the pocket when the rush is collapsing the pocket from the sides, which happens most of the time. Watch what real QBs do....and not just Drew Brees or Tom Brady....but any decent QB. They'll step up toward the LOS and allow the rush to go past them. This gives a QB the time he needs to complete his reads, and/or take off for a gain. Not Smith! he turns tail and runs away from the LOS at the first sign of trouble and then he's forced to be throwing on the run and off his back foot. That is everything a QB is taught NOT to do!

Smith is no QB....period.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

[QUOTE=Dawg06;1672481]
    Skip has already said he's not pulling his "young" "future rock star" QB because it would hurt his "confidence." In the spring Skip determined J'Mar would be his guy for the next 3 years, and he's not changing his mind. That's why Price and Jack transferred, because J'Mar was the anointed one.
    - EXACTLY. And both Price and Abraham KNEW they were better QB's than J'Mar. So they left.

However, J'Mar is not young. He's 21 years old in his 3rd season in the same system. He's not a 17-year-old Isham. And it's obvious J'Mar's confidence has long been shot weeks ago. He has no more confidence left to lose at this point. Skip's strategy obviously isn't working. Why not try something else like trying to light a fire under J'Mar's butt by sitting him for a couple series to see what Westin can do and to see if J'Mar responds positively with determination?
    First J'Mar looks 30 years old. Seriously, I'm not kidding here. He looks every bit of 30. Nevertheless, I recommended benching J'Mar for a series or two all the way back as early as the Miss St game. This should have been done in Week 2, or 3 or 4, so he could see the game from a different vantage point. Now it's too late. He's locked into a bunch of bad habits. They need to just bench him for the season now, and give somebody else some playing time while J'Mar "heals".

Some guys are gamers, and some guys aren't. Is J'Mar like a young Higgins, a future MVP who just needs more time to develop? Or is J'Mar like Brandon Harris, an overhyped guy with a great skillset who just doesn't have what it takes to put it all together in game situations? We don't yet know the answers to those questions regarding J'Mar, and Skip will likely never give Elliot an opportunity to show what he can do in real game situations unless J'Mar gets hurt. So here we are with a struggling QB and a mystery backup.
    J'Mar Smith = Brian Stallworth. For those of you who don't remember Stallworth, he was by far the best athlete on LA Tech's team back in 1999 & 2000. He was the strongest player on the team, and could bench 500lbs multiple times. He was also the heir apparent to Tim Rattay's QB throne, and actually DID THROW Tech's final TD pass to Sean Cangelosi that beat Alabama 29-28 back in 1999.

Everyone raved about the underclassman Stallworth, and said he had a very bright future as Tech's starting QB for the coming years. But when it came time to be Tech's starter in the year 2000, Stallworth was awful and played turtle. He was so bad at QB, Bicknell yanked the red shirt off of prized QB recruit Luke McCown in game 4 or 5, and Stallworth transferred out.

I feel like we're watching a rerun of LA Tech's 2000 football season. Except this time, there's no Luke McCown to yank a red shirt off of. And this time, the coach is too hard headed to even try another QB.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

That was a televised Miami game when JBIII burned Lukes Red Shirt, I believe Luke was his third QB to try that game. Luke made some good plays that day and garnered a lot of good comments and respect from the commentators and media. Not every game was televised back then and that one just so happened to be.

Does anyone remember who that #2 QB was that day?

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Causey.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Why would any coach worth a damn not play their best?
    Sabotage. Point-shaving. Conspiracy.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Sabotage. Point-shaving. Conspiracy.
    You are starting to win me over.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Wes Elliot. I heard it said at the game and then again today on Fox's show. Was Elliot a walk-on?

[QUOTE=HogDawg;1672664]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    - EXACTLY. And both Price and Abraham KNEW they were better QB's than J'Mar. So they left.

First J'Mar looks 30 years old. Seriously, I'm not kidding here. He looks every bit of 30. Nevertheless, I recommended benching J'Mar for a series or two all the way back as early as the Miss St game. This should have been done in Week 2, or 3 or 4, so he could see the game from a different vantage point. Now it's too late. He's locked into a bunch of bad habits. They need to just bench him for the season now, and give somebody else some playing time while J'Mar "heals".

J'Mar Smith = Brian Stallworth. For those of you who don't remember Stallworth, he was by far the best athlete on LA Tech's team back in 1999 & 2000. He was the strongest player on the team, and could bench 500lbs multiple times. He was also the heir apparent to Tim Rattay's QB throne, and actually DID THROW Tech's final TD pass to Sean Cangelosi that beat Alabama 29-28 back in 1999.

Everyone raved about the underclassman Stallworth, and said he had a very bright future as Tech's starting QB for the coming years. But when it came time to be Tech's starter in the year 2000, Stallworth was awful and played turtle. He was so bad at QB, Bicknell yanked the red shirt off of prized QB recruit Luke McCown in game 4 or 5, and Stallworth transferred out.

I feel like we're watching a rerun of LA Tech's 2000 football season. Except this time, there's no Luke McCown to yank a red shirt off of. And this time, the coach is too hard headed to even try another QB.
    Stallworth didn't get benched, he got injured. I think he got injured in the 3rd game against Stephan F Austin and it was a season ending injury.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Move J’Mar to reserve linebacker and let CeeJay Powell play QB, adopting Georgia Tech’s playbook. It’d work with our plethora of running backs/fullbacks

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Speaking of Wes Elliot. I heard it said at the game and then again today on Fox's show. Was Elliot a walk-on?
    This is the point that most people are too blind in their anger at J'Mar to remember. Westin Elliot joined our football team as a walk-on after spending one season as a backup at a junior college. He was a full qualifier who had no offers out of high school. He had no offers out of junior college. He was a tall, lanky project who might one day become a decent QB, but most likely was just going to be a practice arm for his career. I'm not trying to disparage him. I don't know him personally. But when you take a juco QB as a walk-on, that's usually the case.

The situation that he joined quickly became different, as two of the QBs ahead of him transferred out and he found himself put on scholarship as the primary backup. He's not ready. He probably won't ever be ready. But he's the only other QB who's not redshirting (unless you count Belton, who's listed as a WR/QB). If he had shown that he was ready to play during practice, I'm pretty sure he would be playing at this point. But you guys want to just throw him to the wolves because J'Mar isn't what we thought he was going to be.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    That was a televised Miami game when JBIII burned Lukes Red Shirt, I believe Luke was his third QB to try that game. Luke made some good plays that day and garnered a lot of good comments and respect from the commentators and media. Not every game was televised back then and that one just so happened to be.

Does anyone remember who that #2 QB was that day?
    Miami wasn't Luke's debut. It was a road game against Tulsa. I was at that game. Maxie Causey was ineffective, and they took the redshirt off of Luke. The rest, as they say, is history. We didn't play Miami until four weeks later, a week after playing at Auburn. Luke made both of those games way more competitive than they should have been.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite possible I was wrong

The Miami game just sticks in my head as the one for some reason, of course I have slept a lot since then. Luke did make us competitive, maybe the Miami game is where he set a team or stadium record for most passing attempts? Something makes that game stand out, just not sure.

Since we are all trying to remember things, and you seem to have a better memory than mine, didn't Stallworth transfer out that year to an FCS?

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I though it was the K State game. I was there but really don't remember that. I do remember telling one of the K State fans that Stallworth was the one who threw the winning TD pass against Alabama the year before. Also remember it was 126 degrees in the stands.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    This is the point that most people are too blind in their anger at J'Mar to remember. Westin Elliot joined our football team as a walk-on after spending one season as a backup at a junior college. He was a full qualifier who had no offers out of high school. He had no offers out of junior college. He was a tall, lanky project who might one day become a decent QB, but most likely was just going to be a practice arm for his career. I'm not trying to disparage him. I don't know him personally. But when you take a juco QB as a walk-on, that's usually the case.

The situation that he joined quickly became different, as two of the QBs ahead of him transferred out and he found himself put on scholarship as the primary backup. He's not ready. He probably won't ever be ready. But he's the only other QB who's not redshirting (unless you count Belton, who's listed as a WR/QB). If he had shown that he was ready to play during practice, I'm pretty sure he would be playing at this point. But you guys want to just throw him to the wolves because J'Mar isn't what we thought he was going to be.
    Close but not exactly. Elliot initially committed in early May as a preferred walk-on who Skip promised a scholarship as soon as one came available. He just had to wait for someone to transfer. By the time he enrolled in summer school, he had the scholarship that Skip promised.

He didn't get to start at his high school until his senior season when most DI schools already had their QB commits.

The QB he was backing up at Blinn was a UCLA transfer until the UCLA guy got hurt midway through the season, which gave him an opportunity to start.

He had several DII offers out of high school but chose to go juco instead. Then out of Blinn, he chose Tech over scholarship offers from Boise State, North Texas, and UTEP, and a preferred walk-on offer from South Carolina.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 11-07-2017 at 12:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread