+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have a shot at the AAC if the Big 12 expands?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Do we have a shot at the AAC if the Big 12 expands?

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I don't deny that. However, weren't some of those things negotiated before the defections of SMU, Tulsa, East Carolina, and Tulane?
    Yes but wasn't the AAC's negotiated with Louisville for example, as a part of the conference? But even still when our new deal is negotiated. Have no doubt it will remain light years better than the Sunbelts.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Yes but wasn't the AAC's negotiated with Louisville for example, as a part of the conference? But even still when our new deal is negotiated. Have no doubt it will remain light years better than the Sunbelts.
    We'd be better than the Sunbelt's if we didn't have a contract...which they don't

Varsity Bulldog ETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of lightETXBULLDOG is a glorious beacon of light

One of the main parts of an athletic budget is the cost of education I would think and the difference from cost at La. Tech and SMU, Rice, Tulane and Tulsa would be a lot of money.
    If you strip out the difference the budgets may not look nearly as great as just looking at the
    raw total numbers.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I think we do. But we need a promised bigger budget as stated above by Tech77. Also as stated our being pretty good in MBB and Football really helps right now. Likewise, our Tier 1 status/academics is a huge positive for AAC's private school votes.
    And we've obviously been conference mates in the WAC with some of these guys.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETXBULLDOG View Post
    One of the main parts of an athletic budget is the cost of education I would think and the difference from cost at La. Tech and SMU, Rice, Tulane and Tulsa would be a lot of money.
    If you strip out the difference the budgets may not look nearly as great as just looking at the
    raw total numbers.
    So jack up the cost of tuition for athletes. Then the scholarship are bigger.

Bada-bing, bada-boom.

Champ parialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of lightparialex is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    No, it was with the current roster. Can be renegotiated if two of Houston, Cincinnati, Temple, or Connecticut leave, if ESPN wishes to.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the average budget of AAC members is in the neighborhood of $42,000,000. I think given that number, the amount you stated is probably close.
    Just losing Louisville dropped the AAC average about $5 million. I think the current average is no more than the mid-30M range. It would take a mid-20M budget plus other factors to get serious consideration.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Nope. And I'm I'm totally okay with that. Let's jjust build a strong CUSA.
    I would be ok with that as well if everybody else in CUSA was ok with that, but everybody is itching to jump ahead into the AAC.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    I would be ok with that as well if everybody else in CUSA was ok with that, but everybody is itching to jump ahead into the AAC.
    Correct. The schools the AAC spoke to back in 2011 when the realignment game was put on hold were Rice and Southern Miss. How attractive is CUSA without Rice, Southern Miss, and UAB? What if realignment continues and four schools leave CUSA for the AAC and UAB is long gone? Tech must plan for what its facing in the next 18 months. If we're not invited to the AAC, someone else in CUSA will be.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

And regarding USM, if budget is a factor USM is only in the low-20M range.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I know this is super simple, but it takes 1,000 alums/supporters giving $1,000 a year to equal $1 million. We would probably need to increase our budget by about $5 million to $7 million. We must do a better job involving those alums who currently give nothing, or almost nothing.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    We must do a better job involving those alums who currently give nothing, or almost nothing.
    While I'm not excited about all things our AD is doing, I think he gets what you describe above. He has pounded this message in EVERY pregame interview this year and every other interview I've heard him do. He is also sending out letters leading up to the bowl game. One thing different he is doing that I've never heard done before is asking for ANY SIZE donation.

Like season tickets, LTAC commitments aid them in setting the budget. I'm glad to see and hear him seeking help from the common folk.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I know this is super simple, but it takes 1,000 alums/supporters giving $1,000 a year to equal $1 million.
    Or just one guy with a long beard or bald head.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The AAC would be doing good to get name teams. I would consider Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, and UTEP to have the most name recognition in CUSA - UTEP being too far out of the footprint.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    While I'm not excited about all things our AD is doing, I think he gets what you describe above. He has pounded this message in EVERY pregame interview this year and every other interview I've heard him do. He is also sending out letters leading up to the bowl game. One thing different he is doing that I've never heard done before is asking for ANY SIZE donation.

Like season tickets, LTAC commitments aid them in setting the budget. I'm glad to see and hear him seeking help from the common folk.
    Yes, before they weren't that interested in the small donations. What they didn't realize is people start small and as their incomes go up they can do more. I like the "any size" message.

+ Reply to Thread