+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1082

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

The refs are getting worse across the board with the exceptions of a handful of domestic leagues. I don't know who is observing and rating the refs but its bad.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    The refs are getting worse across the board with the exceptions of a handful of domestic leagues. I don't know who is observing and rating the refs but its bad.
    If my knees and hip weren't so bad I'd come out of retirement and start reffing futbol again. I didn't tolerate a gaggle of players questioning every call and interfering with the flow of play. I would have popped every Columbian player with a yellow and that gal who stepped in front of Horan just before the PK would have earned her second yellow and be gone. Of course, when I did ref the teams knew my reputation so there would have been none of that crap. I did yellow card 5 players at once in a high school playoff game because they kept encroaching within 10 yards on a direct kick. I verbally warned them once, after I had stepped off the 10 yards, and then the whole wall (5 players) stepped up two steps...the player trying to take the free kick paused and looked at me. So I stepped off 10 yards a second time, paused to write down their numbers then showed each one the card. In Louisiana HS soccer a player getting a yellow has to leave the field for a sub, they can return if it was just their first card. With 5 2nd stringers on the field until the next stoppage that team surrendered a goal. Final was 3-2, that proved to be the winning goal. Whoa, their coach and their parents were not happy with me after the match. Too bad I told them, and I also gave the coach a few choice words when he dared to get in my face. My team...there were three of us who worked together...had zero tolerance for dissension.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Naeher!

USWNT vs. Brazil CONCACAF Gold Cup Final on Sunday.

As for the match vs. Canada, it was a mess with the field conditions. I have played in such conditions, on fields holding standing water, and it is quite challenging to say the least. The US benefitted from two Canadian defensive errors for our two goals, one directly caused by the field conditions and the other one just a mistake by their backline. Can't take anything meaningful away from this match due to the conditions, but "reading between the lines" and knowing the game as I do, the US still has the same offensive issues that has plagued us for several years. Last year, 2023, was a disappointing year for the USWNT culminating in the early exit from the World Cup. And it's all on the lack of offense. In the last 60 matches played by the USWNT dating back to beginning of 2023, and really back into late fall of 2022, they have surrendered 42 goals. That equals 0.7 goals/match and represents the best defensive effort in the history of the USWNT over any 60-match span. Clearly, the defense is not the problem.

Unless you're a student of the game the nuances of an effective offensive attack are not readily obvious. But, they are blatantly obvious to me. The issues can be fixed, and it beats me why no one connected to USWNT can't see it. I will say this to be fair, Kilgore has at least turned the offense loose into a more direct attacking approach. The philosophy is right, but the execution is still wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

USWNT vs. Brazil CONCACAF Gold Cup Final on Sunday.
    US 1 Brazil 0

Lifted the Gold Cup in the end. Again, defense ruled the night. Brazil is so frickin' dangerous, always attacking. Their players are so fast, so skilled, and the Brazilian style is attack! attack! attack! Not perfect, but certainly good enough and against a quality opponent. Horan scored the winning goal.

Still a ton of improvements needed, especially in our offensive attack.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I am waiting to see what happens once Chelsea's season is over and Hayes takes over. I don't have any faith in the USSF to have a plan to develop anyone or any system until Hayes is in. Which means maybe a couple of games before the Olympics etc.

Latest FIFA rankings, an all-time low for USWNT in history.

1. Spain
    2. England
    3. France
    4. USA

And ranking them 4th might be generous.

Emma Hayes stepped right into it...

says relationships between players, teammates, is inappropriate. Well, the push back has begun in earnest. Has Hayes already lost the team?

I don't care if she has lost them at this point. We need to change the way we do things because the world has caught up talent and fitness wise and we need to improve tactically. We know the players have run that team for decades and the managers were a second act. I want to see her pick her squad and see what she can do. For every player who is upset with her there are others that agree and there is plenty of talent in the country waiting for a shot. If she is the one that tears it down to build it up to the new level of international women's football and she is willing to carry that on her shoulders and her reputation/legacy, I am willing to see where she goes.

If Hayes were commenting strictly on tactics I would not be concerned. But she stepped into personal issues. Not saying she is not right, but just because I, and others, might agree with her, that does not mean it won't have some effect. Now, if only a couple of non-key players take offense and as a result end up leaving the team, and the rest move on, then there will be no ramifications. But the USWNT is at a critical crossroads right now and ANY distractions from the mission of rebuilding the dynasty will be harmful. That's what struck me when the story broke. I was like, Sheeesh! really?

I get your point and understand for sure, but I think we may be at a point where its time for a hard reset. That will anger a lot of people, especially the casual fans. I think the top of US Soccer let things get out of hand behind the scenes too much on the ladies team trying to protect their top program.

She is setting the tone she wants for her program. To me the distractions came about when Rapinoe and some of the others started making every appearance about social issues and political messages. I am not saying players shouldn't use the platform if they have it, but that last cycle it got to much, and there were divisions within the team. You could tell by the interviews given at the time, and by some of the things said by some of the recently retired players. I am not talking about the players sexuality at all, that is a non-issue for me in men's or women's sports.

Just to frame an example of my reasoning though.. if a player wielding the power/sway of say Rapinoe/Morgan/Ertz had a relationship with someone on the team that was on the fringe, but is getting call ups anyway or over other deserving players that's a distraction. Even if they aren't getting call ups but the powerful player is always in the managers ear.. that still gets back to the other players.

I think most everyone understands that two Cups ago Rapinoe was one of the best players on the pitch. This last cup she shouldn't have been on the squad. She took a spot from a younger player that deserved that time on the pitch and preparation for the future. It wasn't for leadership in the locker room because there were other vocal veterans in that room for that. It was about the publicity and power she held off the pitch that the manager and US Soccer (which is a mess for sure and especially around that time) allowed her to continue.

The flip side of course is when a manager decides to freeze out a player that can still contribute like Klinsmann did with Landon in Brazil... Landon had enough to be a legitimate super sub.

It pissed me off that Donovan was left off that WC team. And! it came back to bite us, Klinsmann, big time. Can't tell you how I know, I just "know" had LD been on that roster it would have been him in front of that Belgian goal and he would have finished, and we would have been on to the Elite Eight. Some comments from some of the players and some pundits afterwards tells me others "know" that too.

As for Rapinoe, as a player, I have no issue with her being part of the 23-player WC roster. Just like I was glad Wambach was on the 2015 roster, and LD should have been on that WC roster. Rapinoe was (still is) a lightening rod who attracts more attention and scrutiny than she should. I always focused on her as a player...period.

As for Coach Emma Hayes I do agree she needs to place her stamp on the team/program and do what she thinks is best.

I have no doubt we are in the elite 8 if LD was on that squad. I also think that just killed his joy for the sport too. He retired from the Galaxy at the end of the 2014 season. I mean I know he had a couple of "comebacks" later but it's tough to dust of the boots and play well when you aren't playing/training every day.

I want us to stay on top of the pile, but I if we have to dip to get the next generation set I understand that too. It's going to be tough now that the rest of the world is catching up physically because those women generally play a lot of their club ball in similar systems to their national teams etc. Our ladies come from 50 states, 100 of clubs, all with different philosophies. systems, and the like. Then have a couple of weeks during certain windows to get on the same page.

The positive from the other countries getting stronger is their best players will start playing in leagues outside their countries soccer governing bodies control so maybe that will level the playing field a bit on that front.

USMNT 3 Jamaica 1 in OT in the Nation's League semifinal. Play Sunday vs. Mexico-Panama winner.

US got the tying goal in the 96th minute thanks to a Jamaica own-goal. Jamaica scored in the first 30 seconds of the match and held that 1-0 lead for almost 96 minutes.

Geo Reyna showed some good stuff and Wright scored both extra-time goals.

I am sorry, but Berhalter's style is dragging one of the most talented young groups we have ever had, into one of the most boring unproductive teams we have ever had!! Just look at how the team was attacking and playing with energy while he was "unhired" (since he wasn't fired) and before he was rehired. Same players slightly different coaching philosophy and a huge difference in quality. We need a new coach now, so they have almost the whole cycle before '26.

+ Reply to Thread