+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: West Monroe Baseball News

Big Dog Sw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to allSw is a name known to all Sw's Avatar

West Monroe Baseball News

I just heard that the West Monroe Baseball coach had stepped down and there was some issue with an inelligible player. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Re: West Monroe Baseball News

Quote Originally Posted by Sw View Post
    I just heard that the West Monroe Baseball coach had stepped down and there was some issue with an inelligible player. Has anyone heard anything about this?
    His stepping down had nothing to do with an ineligible player. It had a lot to do with not playing into the politics of WMHS. When "friends" of the school make decisions, you have problems. They have lost a very good baseball coach.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    His stepping down had nothing to do with an ineligible player. It had a lot to do with not playing into the politics of WMHS. When "friends" of the school make decisions, you have problems. They have lost a very good baseball coach.
    While I agree there are some politics involved, he didn't handle things in a professional manner.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    While I agree there are some politics involved, he didn't handle things in a professional manner.
    How do you mean? What it boils down to is that Sims is not a "yes" man, and apparently that doesn't go over well at WMHS. But that should come as no surprise to people who are familiar with that school. 3 state tourny appearances in the last 5 years speaks for itself.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

How do you mean? What it boils down to is that Sims is not a "yes" man, and apparently that doesn't go over well at WMHS. But that should come as no surprise to people who are familiar with that school. 3 state tourny appearances in the last 5 years speaks for itself.
    I heard third or fourth hand he was pitching two freshmen as 2 and 3. If that was the case, he has a brass pair.

I've been hearing complaints about him for quite some time. I've seen West Monroe play numerous times, and really didn't see any problems from the outside looking in. Like you, I can't help but admire the success he has had.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I heard third or fourth hand he was pitching two freshmen as 2 and 3. If that was the case, he has a brass pair.

I've been hearing complaints about him for quite some time. I've seen West Monroe play numerous times, and really didn't see any problems from the outside looking in. Like you, I can't help but admire the success he has had.
    He was pitching the freshmen out of necessity. Had several pitchers get hurt. Tough place to coach, unless it's football.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

He was pitching the freshmen out of necessity. Had several pitchers get hurt. Tough place to coach, unless it's football.
    Shows said he could still remain as an assistant FB coach . . .
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Shows said he could still remain as an assistant FB coach . . .
    Don't let that nice-speak fool you. He will not be coaching anything at WM next year.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Don't let that nice-speak fool you. He will not be coaching anything at WM next year.
    Oh, give me a break. I know the Don-Don like the back of my hand and I don't need anyone to take my cute remarks seriously.

I would say HS baseball in general everywhere is having a clash between parents of kids who played local youth leagues and parents of traveling teams . . . . I know the college coaches are having issues with dugout mommas and dugout daddies.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Sims is a good "coach". My son played for the man for 3 years so I saw the good and the bad on the field and a little off the field. He definitely knows the game but sometimes he lets his mouth get him into trouble. When he first came to WM, coming from a bad situation at Ouachita, he immediately put his defenses up in regards to the parents, basically threatening the respective players with bench time if his parents complained. If you got on his good side and he thought you (the player) could make him look good then you appeared to get preferential treatment in playing time and other considerations. If he didn't think you could help him out then, as a player you had to bust you butt just to get on the field unless he had no other option. I saw him drive a boy off the team as a senior, telling his parents he had no talent, when Sims himself had selected the boy for the team as a sophomore, junior and senior. Most parents walked on eggshells around the man to keep their sons playing time at a maximum. He toned down the yelling and screaming during the game in his third year and kept his temper in check for the most part up through my sons graduation. He didn't appear to help those players that had college potential unless, like I mentioned earlier, you were his golden boy. When I say help, little things like mentioning signing up for the NCAA clearinghouse, which was never mentioned to my son. That had to be told to him by his future college coach.

The man hates to lose (what coach does) but he took it hard, especially if you didn't play to what he considered your potential. He has berated players (again what coach hasn't) but sometimes went over the line. I have heard that after recent loses to Nachitoches Central, he got very upset at the players and let them know it. I also heard that the parents complained. Could this have been why he was suspended for two game? I have no idea but evidently, something transposed after this incident that led to his resigning (forced?). We'll probably never know the real reasons why he resigned but this couldn't help his coaching career IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    Sims is a good "coach". My son played for the man for 3 years so I saw the good and the bad on the field and a little off the field. He definitely knows the game but sometimes he lets his mouth get him into trouble. When he first came to WM, coming from a bad situation at Ouachita, he immediately put his defenses up in regards to the parents, basically threatening the respective players with bench time if his parents complained. If you got on his good side and he thought you (the player) could make him look good then you appeared to get preferential treatment in playing time and other considerations. If he didn't think you could help him out then, as a player you had to bust you butt just to get on the field unless he had no other option. I saw him drive a boy off the team as a senior, telling his parents he had no talent, when Sims himself had selected the boy for the team as a sophomore, junior and senior. Most parents walked on eggshells around the man to keep their sons playing time at a maximum. He toned down the yelling and screaming during the game in his third year and kept his temper in check for the most part up through my sons graduation. He didn't appear to help those players that had college potential unless, like I mentioned earlier, you were his golden boy. When I say help, little things like mentioning signing up for the NCAA clearinghouse, which was never mentioned to my son. That had to be told to him by his future college coach.

The man hates to lose (what coach does) but he took it hard, especially if you didn't play to what he considered your potential. He has berated players (again what coach hasn't) but sometimes went over the line. I have heard that after recent loses to Nachitoches Central, he got very upset at the players and let them know it. I also heard that the parents complained. Could this have been why he was suspended for two game? I have no idea but evidently, something transposed after this incident that led to his resigning (forced?). We'll probably never know the real reasons why he resigned but this couldn't help his coaching career IMO.
    I doubt he'll be a head coach again for a while, by his choice. There are plenty of schools that would hire him in a heartbeat. This is a lot bigger loss for WMHS than it is for Sims. And no, he was not forced to resign. Some things happened that he did not agree with, so he resigned. It'll be interesting to see who applies for that job. I wouldn't be surprised if the list of quality candidates is slim. Not many people will want to coach there knowing that Shows runs the show the way he does.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I doubt he'll be a head coach again for a while, by his choice. There are plenty of schools that would hire him in a heartbeat. This is a lot bigger loss for WMHS than it is for Sims. And no, he was not forced to resign. Some things happened that he did not agree with, so he resigned. It'll be interesting to see who applies for that job. I wouldn't be surprised if the list of quality candidates is slim. Not many people will want to coach there knowing that Shows runs the show the way he does.
    Was doing away with freshman baseball a Shows decision or a Sims decision?

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Was doing away with freshman baseball a Shows decision or a Sims decision?
    They still have a freshman team. He just combines them with a few jv players.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

And no, he was not forced to resign. Some things happened that he did not agree with, so he resigned.
    You must know him or Bob Webber personally to be able to state that with such conviction. I have heard different stories on this but that's why I used "heard" in my statement to emphasize that I wasn't positive. If you know that he was not forced to resign, then what happen or can you not talk about it. In the NS, Sims said that the reasons for his resigning were personal but I don't put much faith in that fish wrap. Why would a head coach resign in the middle of the season when his team is tied for first place in the district (I know that all four teams in the district were 3 & 3 at the time of his resigning) but still tied for first! There's got to be more to this, especially since Dandy Don talks that suspensions are common place and no big deal. If he wasn't forced out, then the timing is extremely coincidental with the suspension and the notification of the illegal player (I personally don't think the illegal player had any bearing on this).

Yes, politics are very important at WM, just like any other school or business, but WM seems to be in the spotlight (good or bad) more than most local schools so their politics are seen by many. What could Sims not agree with that would force him to resign?

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    You must know him or Bob Webber personally to be able to state that with such conviction. I have heard different stories on this but that's why I used "heard" in my statement to emphasize that I wasn't positive. If you know that he was not forced to resign, then what happen or can you not talk about it. In the NS, Sims said that the reasons for his resigning were personal but I don't put much faith in that fish wrap. Why would a head coach resign in the middle of the season when his team is tied for first place in the district (I know that all four teams in the district were 3 & 3 at the time of his resigning) but still tied for first! There's got to be more to this, especially since Dandy Don talks that suspensions are common place and no big deal. If he wasn't forced out, then the timing is extremely coincidental with the suspension and the notification of the illegal player (I personally don't think the illegal player had any bearing on this).

Yes, politics are very important at WM, just like any other school or business, but WM seems to be in the spotlight (good or bad) more than most local schools so their politics are seen by many. What could Sims not agree with that would force him to resign?
    Let's just say he wasn't forced to resign right now. That's not to say they wouldn't have replaced him at the end of the year. I believe Shows was looking for a reason to get rid of him. Sent you a PM.

+ Reply to Thread