+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KNOE 28 Days

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: KNOE 28 Days

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    WM 98 and not even cloese
    Bastrop 06
    Ouachita 89
    Neville 95
    Evangel 99
    Ruston 90
    Wm 2000
    Bastop 07
    Evangel 02
    Neville 82
    Wossman 86

Small Schools;
    Haynesville 94
    Haynesville 2000
    OCS 97
    Oak Grove 99
    Winnfield 82
    J-Hodge 86
    Farmerville 01
    OCS 00
    No way ECA 2002 should be on there. They got rocked by West Monroe in Indy Stadium, and little Booty still kinda sucked.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

BTW, Fred Dean ended up at number 1. That was a no brainer.

Bert Jones was at 2 or 3. He's a piece of work.

Great job by KNOE on this. Hate I missed a few.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frodog View Post
    The 90 Ruston team had 7 1st team all state players. I believe this record still stands. They defeated Catholic 52-10 in the championship.
    The '90 Ruston team also had 11 Seniors get Division 1 scholarships. That was the best high school team, by far, that I have ever seen.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    The '90 Ruston team also had 11 Seniors get Division 1 scholarships. That was the best high school team, by far, that I have ever seen.
    Did any of these players succeed in college.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Did any of these players succeed in college.
    I think that Charles Green went to Nebraska and played in the NFL.

I believe that Brad Laird ended up starting at quarterback at Northwestern.

Roymon Malcolm, as mentioned was the highest profile player on the team and he did not have any success to speak of in college.

Varsity Bulldog Dawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to allDawg74 is a name known to all

eSome interesting comments on here. It is difficult to compare teams from different years, especialy when you go 20 and 30 years back. That being said, I would have to agree with the others about the 1990 Ruston team. I was 35 at the time and had the pleasure of seeing them in the regular season and the playoffs, and they were something special....of course, they had Coach Childress, one of the most organized, disciplined, and humble coaches I ever had the pleasure of knowing...just an unbelievable staff and extreemly well coached kids...
    Last edited by Dawg74; 08-07-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Misspellings

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

90 Ruston Team - Rodney Young played at LSU and for the Gaints in the NFL.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Has anyone in the state of Louisiana ever done a better coaching job at a PUBLIC school than Haynesville's Red Franklin? I say no. IMO, this is one of the greatest coaching runs of all time:

Haynesville's State Championship Game Scores (under Red Franklin):

1970 Haynesville 21, Loranger 8
    1971 Haynesville 7, Homer 7 (Haynesville wins on first downs, 11-9)
    1972 W.O. Boston 11, Haynesville 6
    1983 Kentwood 34, Haynesville 17
    1984 Haynesville 11, Southern Lab 8
    1987 Haynesville 20, Ouachita Chr. 8
    1988 University 35, Haynesville 6
    1989 Oak Grove 28, Haynesville 6
    1990 Haynesville 42, University 20
    1991 Haynesville 28, Buras 21
    1993 Haynesville 48, Riverside 17
    1994 Haynesville 51, Loyola 3
    1995 Haynesville 43, DeQuincy 0
    1996 Haynesville 28, S. Cameron 6
    2000 Haynesville 24, Southern Lab 21

As you can see, Franklin won 11 state championships and 4 state runner-up titles over a 30-year period, including an amazing 8 state championships and 3 state runner-ups (that's 11 state championship game appearances) over a 14-year period spanning from 1983 to 1996. All this, from a little oil town that has been dying and shrinking in population for the last 50 years.

As for the great 1990 Ruston team, my money would have been on Haynesville, and Red Franklin. :icon_wink: (Just kidding guys....oh, wait a minute....maybe not. :icon_wink

HD

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Has anyone in the state of Louisiana ever done a better coaching job at a PUBLIC school than Haynesville's Red Franklin? I say no. IMO, this is one of the greatest coaching runs of all time:

As you can see, Franklin won 11 state championships and 4 state runner-up titles over a 30-year period, including an amazing 8 state championships and 3 state runner-ups (that's 11 state championship game appearances) over a 14-year period spanning from 1983 to 1996. All this, from a little oil town that has been dying and shrinking in population for the last 50 years.

As for the great 1990 Ruston team, my money would have been on Haynesville, and Red Franklin. :icon_wink: (Just kidding guys....oh, wait a minute....maybe not. :icon_wink

HD
    Franklin was the defensive line coach in 63-64 when I played at Springhill. I never heard him raise his voice in practice or in a game. He was a great teacher on the field as well as in the classroom, and a great motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

HD
    Very impressive. I suspect the only thing really comparable would be Curtis' run.

Very impressive. I suspect the only thing really comparable would be Curtis' run.
    Not really, John Curtis is a private school that has their pick of athletes in New Orleans. Franklin had to work with the guys that lived in that district.

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Not really, John Curtis is a private school that has their pick of athletes in New Orleans. Franklin had to work with the guys that lived in that district.
    I agree with what you are saying, but from a shear numbers stand point.... Curtis has won an awful high number of championships over the past 30 years.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I agree with what you are saying, but from a shear numbers stand point.... Curtis has won an awful high number of championships over the past 30 years.
    Agree on John Curtis... but to Don's point, I specifically mentioned "Public" school in my initial post, which of course would exclude the likes of John Curtis and Evangel.

By the way, in addition to being PRIVATE schools (with some room for at least light recruiting), both Curtis and Evangel are located in much larger metropolitan areas, making Haynesville's accomplishments in a dying town of only 2,000 all the more impressive. As Don said, Franklin had to work with what he had.....and in a small town of 2K, that ain't much.

HD

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

The 90 Ruston team would have also won the Texas state championship that year by at least 3-4 TD's!!!

+ Reply to Thread