+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the important stuff....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Back to the important stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    As I have said, I don’t watch much soccer, so my take may be expressing excitement for something you guys see all the time. I really was impressed when we advanced the ball with multiple touch passes instead of individual dribbling to move it. Several times we got good shots on goal and it seemed it was all very fluid and not forced. Kind of like a fast break in basketball when the ball never touches the floor. Almost seemed like they have started to understand how each man plays and what their tendencies are.
    Good observation. There are similarities between soccer and basketball in advancing the ball. Short, crisp passes are critical, but no offense is going to generate a "chance" i.e. a good shot on goal, without MOVEMENT WITHOUT THE BALL. And that touches on your other observation about players learning how to play together as a cohesive unit. It is knowing each other's tendencies and it's "seeing the whole field," that is, all the attacking players have to see the same opportunities and those without the ball have to make the correct runs.

But, it is also true that players need to be able to "break down" a defense with dribble penetration, which draws an extra defender away from his zone and opens up lanes for attackers to make runs. The true GREATS, the ELITES, the WORLD CLASS strikers and attacking midfielders can do this. These are the Messi, and Ronaldo, and our own, now retired, Landon Donovan types who wreak havoc on defenses. Soccer defense is very much a "match up zone," a defender has to closely mark an attacking player when in his zone, but lets them go when they leave his zone and guards another entering his zone. This switching provides that split second opportunity to thread a pass to that offensive player during that transition. If the next defender is slow to react, or is caught out of position, or is just now returning to his zone because he had to react to a dribble penetration then an attacking player is unmarked, but only for a second or two and the pass has to be there then, not seconds later because the defense has slammed the door by then. The pass also has to have the right "weight" to allow the attacker to make the next move. If the pass is too hard, it gets by the attacker, too soft and the attacker has to chop his steps and wait on it, and it has to be in the exact right place, like to his left foot or his right foot depending on the situation.

And then sometimes the offense does everything right and a defender or the goal keeper makes a great defensive play, because after all, at this level, they are world class athletes and very, very good players too.

This is why I love the "beautiful game." It's all those subtle actions, offense and defense, those split-second reactions and incredible athletic displays all molded together. I played soccer all the way through to semi-pro and understand and appreciate the sport. It's never about ONE PLAY that bothers me when I criticize my favorites, the US national teams. It's the big picture that irks me, and that many posters on this forum also see and understand.

Beat El Tri!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely get what you say about individual play too. Being able to “break the ankle” of the defender opens lanes for shots, passes, or advancing the ball as well. I don’t remember any one player being essentially a black hole, which I know is good. I enjoyed the game and will definitely tune in for Mexico if I can.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Good observation. There are similarities between soccer and basketball in advancing the ball. Short, crisp passes are critical, but no offense is going to generate a "chance" i.e. a good shot on goal, without MOVEMENT WITHOUT THE BALL. And that touches on your other observation about players learning how to play together as a cohesive unit. It is knowing each other's tendencies and it's "seeing the whole field," that is, all the attacking players have to see the same opportunities and those without the ball have to make the correct runs.

But, it is also true that players need to be able to "break down" a defense with dribble penetration, which draws an extra defender away from his zone and opens up lanes for attackers to make runs. The true GREATS, the ELITES, the WORLD CLASS strikers and attacking midfielders can do this. These are the Messi, and Ronaldo, and our own, now retired, Landon Donovan types who wreak havoc on defenses. Soccer defense is very much a "match up zone," a defender has to closely mark an attacking player when in his zone, but lets them go when they leave his zone and guards another entering his zone. This switching provides that split second opportunity to thread a pass to that offensive player during that transition. If the next defender is slow to react, or is caught out of position, or is just now returning to his zone because he had to react to a dribble penetration then an attacking player is unmarked, but only for a second or two and the pass has to be there then, not seconds later because the defense has slammed the door by then. The pass also has to have the right "weight" to allow the attacker to make the next move. If the pass is too hard, it gets by the attacker, too soft and the attacker has to chop his steps and wait on it, and it has to be in the exact right place, like to his left foot or his right foot depending on the situation.

And then sometimes the offense does everything right and a defender or the goal keeper makes a great defensive play, because after all, at this level, they are world class athletes and very, very good players too.

This is why I love the "beautiful game." It's all those subtle actions, offense and defense, those split-second reactions and incredible athletic displays all molded together. I played soccer all the way through to semi-pro and understand and appreciate the sport. It's never about ONE PLAY that bothers me when I criticize my favorites, the US national teams. It's the big picture that irks me, and that many posters on this forum also see and understand.

Beat El Tri!
    D80, I have a SINCERE question for you about soccer.

One of the reasons I can't watch soccer is that it just moves too slowly for my taste. Above all, it seems to require patience, something I've never been known for. LOL! In soccer, it seems as if the goal is to lull the other side asleep until the ball finally gets within "striking distance" (pardon the pun) for a shot opportunity.

You mentioned the similarities between basketball and soccer when "advancing the ball", but I just don't see the similarities at all. Both sports are very physical, and yes, there is some passing between teammates when "bringing the ball down" in both sports. BUT basketball is so much quicker, and has a shot clock, so it doesn't seem to require patience at all.

I guess my question is, as a former player in "faster" sports --like football, basketball, etc....-- does soccer ever seem slow to YOU? I know you played soccer in college and you have a ton of experience coaching it. But I want to scream every time I see a team kick the ball back out to the middle of the field because I know there's going to be some serious down time for the next several minutes or so. Thanks in advance!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    D80, I have a SINCERE question for you about soccer.

One of the reasons I can't watch soccer is that it just moves too slowly for my taste. Above all, it seems to require patience, something I've never been known for. LOL! In soccer, it seems as if the goal is to lull the other side asleep until the ball finally gets within "striking distance" (pardon the pun) for a shot opportunity.

You mentioned the similarities between basketball and soccer when "advancing the ball", but I just don't see the similarities at all. Both sports are very physical, and yes, there is some passing between teammates when "bringing the ball down" in both sports. BUT basketball is so much quicker, and has a shot clock, so it doesn't seem to require patience at all.

I guess my question is, as a former player in "faster" sports --like football, basketball, etc....-- does soccer ever seem slow to YOU? I know you played soccer in college and you have a ton of experience coaching it. But I want to scream every time I see a team kick the ball back out to the middle of the field because I know there's going to be some serious down time for the next several minutes or so. Thanks in advance!
    You, and others, have expressed how boring Tech football is at times, under Holtz. Not an exciting product on the field, you say. Okay. Well, in some soccer matches, because of the tactics employed, the game can drag. But that's usually because one team would be happy with a draw and are purposely trying to slow the game and waste time. If the game ended 0-0 to them it would be mission accomplished. Perhaps the other side, also "okay" with a draw, but preferring to win, is careful not to over-commit forward, because one defensive error and instead of 0-0, they are down 1-0. At times in matches the players are tired and since there are no timeouts, where they can all get pampered by a horde of trainers with water bottles, the game slows. And sometimes it's just poor soccer being played.

An entire full size basketball court(4,700 sq ft) fits inside one goalie box...that's the rectangle in from of the goal, out 18 yards, in which a keeper can use his hands. So around 16 basketball courts can fit on a soccer field(75,600 sq ft). They are different games, but I used the basketball comparison to simply convey that both use passes and dribbling to advance the ball. In hoops the goals are about 90 feet apart, in soccer they are 120 yards apart. As a fan and a "student" of the game, I watch for and appreciate the subtleties, which is more difficult watching on TV since the camera follows the ball. In person you can watch the players without the ball and how they are moving.

In the bigger picture I can appreciate many sports. I understand the differences and the nuances that make each unique in their own way. Baseball is slow. My dad, who actually loved baseball, used to jokingly sing, "Take me out to the BORE game..."

In summary, I suppose some folks just want instant gratification, want to be entertained/thrilled now! Now, damn you! Satisfy me now!! Now! Kind of like the younger generations who think they should start as CEO right out of college...

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a baseball and golf fan first, I understand when people desire more action. I enjoy football, but it is just as painful to me to sit through 4 hours of bad football as it is for some to sit through a 3+ hour pitchers dual. Soccer does alleviate this by being 90-100 minutes(with stoppage time) and a short halftime. Does soccer award points in the standings for a draw? Maybe if they only rewarded the winners that would change the urgency of play.

Yes, in tournaments you earn 3 points for a win and 1 point each for a draw, and of course zero for a loss. Also goal differential is used as one of the tiebreakers, so it pays to keep scoring in a match you are leading.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Yes, in tournaments you earn 3 points for a win and 1 point each for a draw, and of course zero for a loss. Also goal differential is used as one of the tiebreakers, so it pays to keep scoring in a match you are leading.
    Still better than in the not-too-distant past when it was only 2 points for a win and 1 for a draw.

This thread started after yet another Tech disappointment, in hoops at the time. And here we are again...

Carli Lloyd plays her final two games this week, first one Thursday vs. South Korea.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

She should go out with a bang. Always liked her over some of the flashier players on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    She should go out with a bang. Always liked her over some of the flashier players on the team.
    Agreed. She is my favorite player, well her and Becky Sauerbrunn, the unsung hero of our defense. Lloyd has avoided all that "woke" mess and kept her head on straight. I was moved by her genuine display of awe and respect she afforded the old gentleman, D-Day Veteran, who conducted the tour of Normandy for the USWNT when they were there for the WC back in 2019. Lloyd said, "we just play a game...they are the real heroes," something most of us agree with. It was more than just her words, it was the hug she gave the old Vet...I can read body language and Lloyd was genuinely in awe of this hero.

More than that...Carli Lloyd is "old school." She plays hard every game, never makes excuses, never takes a game off. She represents the VERY BEST we want in sports...all our sports.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Agree with all that. She never has acted like it was her right to be on the team or for the USWNT win all the time. It was that hard work mentality, and genuine respect for the level she reached and the honor of putting on that kit.

Agree with all that. She never has acted like it was her right to be on the team or for the USWNT win all the time. It was that hard work mentality, and genuine respect for the level she reached and the honor of putting on that kit.
    Her moment "in the sun"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__1PwHRpAM

USWNT 0 South Korea 0

Same two sides hook up Tuesday for Lloyd's final match in a USA uniform.

SK played 6 in the back, a bunker defense, in front of Yoon, who is a world class keeper, one of the best in the world. Yoon had 8 saves, including two spectacular saves that would have beat a lesser GK. South Korea was playing for the 0-0 draw, with a measure of hope they might steal a 1-0 victory off a counter attack. And, they have a couple of strikers who can deliver that. SK is ranked 18th in the world, have been to two straight WC Finals. They are a legit side, well coached, with that Brit, and they are disciplined and stay organized. They are the essence of the best of international soccer.

On the plus side...Wow! for Lindsey Horan. She was HUGE last night, best match I have ever seen her play. And, she was actually playing out of position, subbing for the injured Julie Ertz as holding midfielder. Horan is an attacking midfielder. Carli Lloyd is passing on the coveted #10 jersey to Horan, and I can't think of anyone more deserving of it.

Youngsters...another Wow! for Sophia Smith, best I have seen her play. Mallory Pugh had a good game too, another young player, but she has shown her talent before. Davidson and the newbie, Fox, give reasons for optimism for our backline in the future. Davidson is already becoming our best defender, heir-apparent to being that anchor when Becky Sauerbrunn retires. Speaking of Sauerbrunn, she had another of one her patented awesome games in the back. I counted 6 times she made the defensive play or else one of those SK strikers was going to test our keeper, French, with a strong shot. They never got that chance thanks to Sauerbrunn denying them.

Looking forward to Tuesday and Lloyd's swan song.

I was pleased with the overall game at the end. Their keeper is a great keeper, and she was tested a bit and held the line well. I always want the win, but when it’s a well played game, I can be satisfied with a draw. I do want a win, for her last game though, hopefully we turn the pressure up a bit an notch an early goal. If we get one early I think we will end up with 3 or so by the end.

I was pleased with the overall game at the end. Their keeper is a great keeper, and she was tested a bit and held the line well. I always want the win, but when it’s a well played game, I can be satisfied with a draw. I do want a win, for her last game though, hopefully we turn the pressure up a bit an notch an early goal. If we get one early I think we will end up with 3 or so by the end.
    Yep! in games vs. sides like South Korea, a goal changes everything. As long as it's 0-0, SK will stay in their bunker defense. But if they fall behind 1-0, they will have to come out of it and the game will be wide open. But, they will still be dangerous. They have the ability to capitalize on a defensive mistake. Bam! just like that. Especially that striker with the wild blonde (dyed) hair. She is a world class striker.

+ Reply to Thread