+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completing Passes Between the Hash Marks

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Completing Passes Between the Hash Marks

I was asked in a private message to go into a little more depth about our QB struggles.

Others have pointed out the fact that J'Mar hasn't seemed to lead a receiver with a throw since the Mississippi State game. If someone isn't completely wide open he'll wait for his receivers to come back to the football. And at times he'll throw the 50/50 ball.

For me the biggest weakness in that area is our inability to hit open receivers between the hash marks and even within 3 yards of either hash. It had gotten so bad before North Texas that the Mean Green didn't even play a deep safety for the most last week's game. They rolled the free safety within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage. They didn't bother to cover something we don't attempt. A couple of plays we ran receivers on go routes right up the middle of the field. We got separation each time, but J'Mar just wouldn't pull the trigger.

Unless I'm missing an attempt or two over the past month we attempted one pass over the middle last week with the score tied at 17. Powell couldn't hold on to a pass over the middle at the goal line. The only other attempt between the hashes I've seen on film since the South Carolina game was the interception in overtime against USM. We had a wide open receiver, but J'Mar waited and then lofted the pass that the linebacker picked off.

The inability to hit passes over the middle has caused teams to cheat up with both the linebackers and the safeties. Then last week North Texas just did away with the free safety position altogether. There were times they had all 11 players within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage. That puts a lot of pressure on the offensive line.

FAU will play press coverage until we play them out of it. They normally do it with a free safety 12-15 yards deep. I'm anxious to see if they adjust to Tech or do what's worked for them over the past month.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Completing Passes Between the Hash Marks

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I was asked in a private message to go into a little more depth about our QB struggles.

Others have pointed out the fact that J'Mar hasn't seemed to lead a receiver with a throw since the Mississippi State game. If someone isn't completely wide open he'll wait for his receivers to come back to the football. And at times he'll throw the 50/50 ball.

For me the biggest weakness in that area is our inability to hit open receivers between the hash marks and even within 3 yards of either hash. It had gotten so bad before North Texas that the Mean Green didn't even play a deep safety for the most last week's game. They rolled the free safety within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage. They didn't bother to cover something we don't attempt. A couple of plays we ran receivers on go routes right up the middle of the field. We got separation each time, but J'Mar just wouldn't pull the trigger.

Unless I'm missing an attempt or two over the past month we attempted one pass over the middle last week with the score tied at 17. Powell couldn't hold on to a pass over the middle at the goal line. The only other attempt between the hashes I've seen on film since the South Carolina game was the interception in overtime against USM. We had a wide open receiver, but J'Mar waited and then lofted the pass that the linebacker picked off.

The inability to hit passes over the middle has caused teams to cheat up with both the linebackers and the safeties. Then last week North Texas just did away with the free safety position altogether. There were times they had all 11 players within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage. That puts a lot of pressure on the offensive line.

FAU will play press coverage until we play them out of it. They normally do it with a free safety 12-15 yards deep. I'm anxious to see if they adjust to Tech or do what's worked for them over the past month.

I agree. J'Mar will NOT throw a pass more than 5 yards down field BETWEEN the hash marks. Almost every pass J'Mar threw last week was outside of the hash marks, mostly toward the sideline. He's constantly looking outside. I think it goes back to early in the season when he was labeled a "turnover machine" by many. Now he has over-reacted, and simply won't throw in the middle at all. It's obvious that he thinks its "safer" to throw outside.

Once last week (that I recall), J'Mar threw to a WR on a post pattern, but he was very late with the throw. Our WR was open when he made his initial cut to the inside, but by the time the ball finally arrived, the DB had recovered and the pass was easily broken up.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

On an added note -

FAU leads the nation in INTs, this shapes up to be a bad combination for the Dawgs and their struggling offense all the way around

They will jump routes and NOT allow the 3 yard dinks and dumps this offense has been trying to do -

Biggest problem is that I don't think COYHCSH is open minded enough to recognize this and alter our offense

J'mar is going to have a VERY LONG day
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    On an added note -

FAU leads the nation in INTs, this shapes up to be a bad combination for the Dawgs and their struggling offense all the way around

They will jump routes and NOT allow the 3 yard dinks and dumps this offense has been trying to do -

Biggest problem is that I don't think COYHCSH is open minded enough to recognize this and alter our offense

J'mar is going to have a VERY LONG day
    question is will Coach Holtz embarrass JMar or put in a back up!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    question is will Coach Holtz embarrass JMar or put in a back up!
    No, he will not. Correction, I would be VERY VERY surprised to see that happen. For good or bad, he is determined to make J'Mar our QB of the future. Now, the only thing that would disrupt that, in my opinion, would be for a graduate student like Jeff Driskol to transfer in........

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Holtz may not have a choice if Elliot transfers out. After watching the pathetic performance of Smith and not getting a chance to at least show what he can do, Elliot may let the rockstar have the job and go elsewhere. Then Holtz will have a red shirt freshman as only viable backup.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Really, who asked ya?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Really, who asked ya?
    Someone who couldn't understand the criticism of him given the fact he's led the team down the field on potential game winning drives in 5 games.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Someone who couldn't understand the criticism of him given the fact he's led the team down the field on potential game winning drives in 5 games.
    The answer to that is that he's lead the team down the field on an actual game-winning drive just once. Potential is for losers.

Champ Gladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud of

I am not expecting anything less than watching a dumpster.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    The answer to that is that he's lead the team down the field on an actual game-winning drive just once. Potential is for losers.
    I'm quite possibly the best QB Tech has ever seen.

Guess we'll never know.

Varsity Bulldog Kodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the rough

Waiting to hear how Elliot would have won this game and also would have caught the dropped passes himself.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kodawg View Post
    Waiting to hear how Elliot would have won this game and also would have caught the dropped passes himself.
    What a goofy post. It is a fact that we need to develop at least two QBs and a bunch of WRs next spring.
    Having a part time QB / part time baseball player didn't develop s___ in the spring of 2017. On second thought- it did develop s____.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gladzilla View Post
    I am not expecting anything less than watching a dumpster.
    I've got good news for you, you won't be disappointed.

Varsity Bulldog Kodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    What a goofy post. It is a fact that we need to develop at least two QBs and a bunch of WRs next spring.
    Having a part time QB / part time baseball player didn't develop s___ in the spring of 2017. On second thought- it did develop s____.
    Talk about a goofy post. Let's see how many teams, even young struggling teams play a two QB system because their intention is to develop more players.

+ Reply to Thread