+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

Puppy CaliBornHawaiian is on the way down

Re: "Haka" just pregame taunting?

No actually I live in a condo about 2 miles from the beach. Good luck guys, I hope you win out.. Really.... AND KICK BOISE'S BUTT!

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBornHawaiian View Post
    No actually I live in a condo about 2 miles from the beach. Good luck guys, I hope you win out.. Really.... AND KICK BOISE'S BUTT!
    i don't think he got the joke, johnny.

Puppy UHfan808 is an unknown

Hi "Haka"* guys,
    *It's now called the "Ha'a"...

Just FYI -- I've taken ill (not so seriously) and have been temporarily unable to continue our discussions. My apologies for keeping you waiting. I plan to get back to y'all soon.

Hey, good luck in your game tomorrow! Go Bulldogs! (vs. NMSU )

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UHfan808 View Post
    Hi "Haka"* guys,

Just FYI -- I've taken ill (not so seriously) and have been temporarily unable to continue our discussions. My apologies for keeping you waiting. I plan to get back to y'all soon.

Get well soon 808. Hope you feel better.

Go Dawgs!!! Go Hawaii. (As in go make us some money :icon_wink

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UHfan808 View Post
    Hi "Haka"* guys,

UHfan808 is nice as can be! Glad you are feeling better. And thank you for the well wishes...We did win!

Did you say instead of the Haka it's now the Ha'ha? I'm am so down with the new name. Haka sounds like something is caught in your throat. Ha'ha is better cause it really is funny! :icon_wink:

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

"We must protect the traditions of our ancestors. The Haka has been part of the culture here since ... What? Oh, that's how you spell it, my bad. The Ha'a'' has part of our culture since..."

Gotta love it.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Hate to bring this back up, but I saw something on the Haka this morning. Since my daughter decided that 4am was a good time to wake up, my wife and I were up before the local news was on. CBS has some type of early show where they actually show news stories that probably don't make the normal broadcast, and at 4:30, they had a story on the Haka. The story was about the football team from Temple HS in Temple, TX and how the influx of Pacific Islanders from NZ had brought this war dance to the school. They showed that 1/2 the team were PI, yet when they showed the "dance" it was a scrawny red-headed kid leading it...and looking like a spaz the whole while. UofHawai'i was quickly mentioned as being one of the colleges that does the Haka, as well as Utah. I found this interesting as you never hear about Utah doing this. I guess Hawaii just pisses too many people off when they do it. Now, the story said the war dance comes from the native peoples of NZ, so I have no problem with the PI from NZ, or people in NZ doing this dance, but watching from 5' red-headed Opie looking douche trying to look mean just makes me laugh! It probably didn't help that I heard the Chicken Dance in my head while they showed the people doing the dance. Oh, and nothing was said about the NCAA rulling this was taunting....

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poisso3 View Post
    Hate to bring this back up, but I saw something on the Haka this morning. Since my daughter decided that 4am was a good time to wake up, my wife and I were up before the local news was on. CBS has some type of early show where they actually show news stories that probably don't make the normal broadcast, and at 4:30, they had a story on the Haka. The story was about the football team from Temple HS in Temple, TX and how the influx of Pacific Islanders from NZ had brought this war dance to the school. They showed that 1/2 the team were PI, yet when they showed the "dance" it was a scrawny red-headed kid leading it...and looking like a spaz the whole while. UofHawai'i was quickly mentioned as being one of the colleges that does the Haka, as well as Utah. I found this interesting as you never hear about Utah doing this. I guess Hawaii just pisses too many people off when they do it. Now, the story said the war dance comes from the native peoples of NZ, so I have no problem with the PI from NZ, or people in NZ doing this dance, but watching from 5' red-headed Opie looking douche trying to look mean just makes me laugh! It probably didn't help that I heard the Chicken Dance in my head while they showed the people doing the dance. Oh, and nothing was said about the NCAA rulling this was taunting....
    That's not Temple High School. It's Trinity High School. One of the most dominant high school football teams in Texas over the last decade. There were probably abut 10 Tongans on the team when I played there. Now there are probably about 40-50. They are still in the minority by a long shot but there are a lot of them and I loved playing with them when I was there. Good guys. They aren't thugs. No need to stereotype.

Oh and some of the differences between Trinity and Hawaii are Trinity does it facing there own fans not the opposing team. There aren't throat slashing gestures done towards the other team during it. It just something the kids do to get themselves pumped up, nothing more. When we played SLC in the playoffs their fans stood respectfully during and applauded after.

http://www.prepticket.com/video/vide...92:Video:28151

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    That's not Temple High School. It's Trinity High School. One of the most dominant high school football teams in Texas over the last decade. There were probably abut 10 Tongans on the team when I played there. Now there are probably about 40-50. They are still in the minority by a long shot but there are a lot of them and I loved playing with them when I was there. Good guys. They aren't thugs. No need to stereotype.

Oh and some of the differences between Trinity and Hawaii are Trinity does it facing there own fans not the opposing team. There aren't throat slashing gestures done towards the other team during it. It just something the kids do to get themselves pumped up, nothing more. When we played SLC in the playoffs their fans stood respectfully during and applauded after.

I find the ceremony posted in that video completely unoffensive. In fact, it looks like a great way to get the hometown fans riled (sp?) up. The Haka (or Ha'a as it is apparently now being called) as performed by Hawaii is ridiculous, silly, and offensive.

This is what the Haka leads to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6SKZ...eature=related

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

Small minded people, from a small town in La.

The Haka taken from the All Blacks rugby team is not/was not intended to be offensive. I might be offended by guys in shorts, suspenders, stockings & peter-pan hats, but I'm not gonna try to shut down the Oktoberfest because of it.

Ha'a is a Hawaiian version of the Haka. It was written/choreographed by some of the Hawaiian players to be more meaningful to Hawaii. Instead of Maori, the language of this Ha'a is Hawaiian.

Poiso3, the All Blacks have lots of 'white-boys' doing the Haka there as well. It's not about race, it's about team. One of the team captains should lead the Haka...even if he's an Opie-looking red-head.

Aloha.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    Ha'a is a Hawaiian version of the Haka. It was written/choreographed by some of the Hawaiian players to be more meaningful to Hawaii. Instead of Maori, the language of this Ha'a is Hawaiian.

Poiso3, the All Blacks have lots of 'white-boys' doing the Haka there as well. It's not about race, it's about team. One of the team captains should lead the Haka...even if he's an Opie-looking red-head.
    You are all making it up as you go along. That's ONE of the reasons why it's a JOKE practically everywhere you travel.

Seriously... if the Bulldogs flipped you guys off while doing a square dance on your field, it would be more culturally accurate AND less offensive.

BTW - I love the Dawg Pit. Really let's you vent a little.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayJam View Post
    Small minded people, from a small town in La.

The Haka taken from the All Blacks rugby team is not/was not intended to be offensive. I might be offended by guys in shorts, suspenders, stockings & peter-pan hats, but I'm not gonna try to shut down the Oktoberfest because of it.

Aloha.
    SJ,

I agree with a lot of what you wrote but surely you can see why others would get offended. The throat slashing, and aiming it at the other team. Not cool. Heck there is one video where our team was running off the field and your team would turn a little bit each time during the Haka to make sure they were facing our players while they were doing it. If they dropped the throat slash and faced your teams fans I would back you 100%.

Like I said, this is how we do it:

Big Dog SundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to beholdSundayJam is a splendid one to behold SundayJam's Avatar

BigDog13,

Heck, we got penalized at La Tech for performing the Haka just outside the lockerroom. It didn't matter where or how the Haka was performed. The players who brought this tradition to the Hawaii team wanted it to be authentic. Traditionally, the Haka is performed FACING the opponent. Just watch one of the many All Blacks Haka footage on youtube.

Duckbill,

The sport where the Haka has really taken hold is rugby. Maori's, Tongans, and others have their own versions of it. The latest evolution for Hawaii is a Hawaiian version. Like the other teams in Polynesia, the tailored version has more meaning to our team.

The All Blacks version is still performed by the team, and it's still super cool.

+ Reply to Thread