+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 86 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Varsity Bulldog jellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the rough jellidawg's Avatar

Re: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Wow! Tech could really make a killing if only we had a large building on campus, near the stadium, that could be retrofitted as a for-profit lodging facility.
    If you are talking about the recently demolished dorms, the retrofit cost would have been astronomical to get it to the standards that a paying customer would want to spend money to stay there. I know that I would not want to subject my family to communal bathrooms with 10 other families. I would be willing to bet that just the plumbing retrofit to install bathrooms in each "suite" would be in excess of $5M. And then you haven't gotten to the structural repairs, HVAC components, fire protection, elevator rehabs, interior walls, windows, finishes, or furniture. I would be willing to bet that a retrofit to turn one of those old dorms would be in the ballpark of $20-$30M (just a gut feeling).

Assume 20 rooms per floor, 10 floors, $165/night, every room is filled one night per game weekend, and 6 home games in a football season. This would generate ~$200K/year. Just on the lower figure, not including interest, labor for housekeeping, maintenance, or utilities, it would take 10 football seasons to pay off the bonds.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jellidawg View Post
    If you are talking about the recently demolished dorms, the retrofit cost would have been astronomical to get it to the standards that a paying customer would want to spend money to stay there. I know that I would not want to subject my family to communal bathrooms with 10 other families. I would be willing to bet that just the plumbing retrofit to install bathrooms in each "suite" would be in excess of $5M. And then you haven't gotten to the structural repairs, HVAC components, fire protection, elevator rehabs, interior walls, windows, finishes, or furniture. I would be willing to bet that a retrofit to turn one of those old dorms would be in the ballpark of $20-$30M (just a gut feeling).

Assume 20 rooms per floor, 10 floors, $165/night, every room is filled one night per game weekend, and 6 home games in a football season. This would generate ~$200K/year. Just on the lower figure, not including interest, labor for housekeeping, maintenance, or utilities, it would take 10 football seasons to pay off the bonds.
    That being said, it would help us draw p-5 opponents. The Lodd Cook on LSU campus is used for thing other than just football games. Basktball game and other olympic sports would also used the Hotel. We could use a full scale hotel in Ruston for sure.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Wow! Tech could really make a killing if only we had a large building on campus, near the stadium, that could be retrofitted as a for-profit lodging facility.
    I see what you did

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    That being said, it would help us draw p-5 opponents. .

Puppy Snowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around here

Need a Hilton Garden Inn on the Service Road; should have already been in place. Hopefully the new city government will see the light in time for future seasons.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

We need a Waldorf Astoria, I only stay at the finest.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather have a green space

Varsity Bulldog jellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the rough jellidawg's Avatar

That being said, it would help us draw p-5 opponents. The Lodd Cook on LSU campus is used for thing other than just football games. Basktball game and other olympic sports would also used the Hotel. We could use a full scale hotel in Ruston for sure.
    I was just making a point about the cost. I understand that it will be used at other times. However, football season is the only time of year that it will be full, and it would never be a full service hotel from a manpower standpoint.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Huh?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    I hope HCSH has the team watch the Northwestern State film every day leading up to this game.
    Yep. Despite all the good things LA Tech did in 2014, the NSU debacle DEFINED the season for us. It's the kind of loss you can never really recover from for the rest of the season.

After a loss to an FCS school, the national polls will never rank you in the Top 25, and even your own conference "turns on you", because they don't want a conference champ with an FCS loss. It makes the whole conference look bad.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

After a loss to an FCS school, the national polls will never rank you in the Top 25,
    It can be done, but takes a lot of doing: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ia-tech-hokies

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Huh?
    One of the big gripes about why Power 5 schools won't play in Ruston is that we do not have a full service Hotel. This would eleviate that complaint.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Or beautiful asphalt or concrete. Student parking on Tech campus is in very short supply. It's in very short supply for visitors, too, but we don't have to pay the tickets.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jellidawg View Post

And that's exactly what they said about the abandoned derelict hideous eyesore dorm on the UArk campus on Fayetteville. It's too ugly, too old, too expensice, etc ... they all said.

Now it's a four-star hotel, booked up almost continuously. Both the university and the hotelier to whom they leased the building are making out like bandits. Alums pay out the wazzoo to stay on campus. And professional & academic conferences that wouldve gone to Fort Smith on Little Rock now held at UA.
    Last edited by Champ967; 02-19-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Glad our university is so fantastically wealthy that we can afford to let acres of land (ie. real property with market value) to sit idle.

Maybe we could also liquidate all the Foundation's assets and bury the cash in coffee cans.

+ Reply to Thread