+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1288

Thread: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Re: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Louisiana exempts the 1st $75,000 - so only 60,400 of that median value is actually taxed.
    Yes, family lives in Louisiana. And I believe that's why a lot the old timers loved Huey P Long. I can see why though, during that era there was hardly enough money for even the basics much less taxes

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Next time I see Brad, probably in October, I will ask him the exact breakdown
    Ouachita has a 1% sales tax in the un-incorporated areas of the parish that is solely dedicated for upkeep of parish roads and bridges - prior to that there was a property tax dedicated to such

The 1% generates about $7,000,000 annually for public works (which btw is greater than my entire budget (all funds) here in Claiborne)
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Next time I see Brad, probably in October, I will ask him the exact breakdown
    Thanks, but I have the breakdown on my tax form. I realize that we pay/have almost nothing for roads here. We patch unless we get funding for a special project.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Ouachita has a 1% sales tax in the un-incorporated areas of the parish that is solely dedicated for upkeep of parish roads and bridges - prior to that there was a property tax dedicated to such

The 1% generates about $7,000,000 annually for public works (which btw is greater than my entire budget (all funds) here in Claiborne)
    $7M won't touch what we need to do in un-incorporated areas. Like I said, we are able to patch.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    $7M won't touch what we need to do in un-incorporated areas. Like I said, we are able to patch.
    How many miles are in your Parish System?

I have 833? miles (one way) in mine with 2/3 of them being paved (chip & seal) -

Our budget is about $2.1 million for the Road Fund - which presently enables us to chip and seal about 30 miles of road annually along with routine maintenance -

The big difference is that we only employ 22 people (including Administration) compared to over 65 for the OPPJ

If I had $7 million in sales tax monies for just roads I would be in hog heaven

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Thank you -

Most folks in LA don't want to hear this -

You can't have adequate public services unless they are funded at the local level

BRAGGING on having one of the lowest property tax rates is not good for anyone involved and those parishes that do are usually sucking hind teat and have horrible public schools -

Now I'm very conservative at heart and in principle, but IF people vote a tax on themselves set the millage at the rate and leave it there from day one...

Don't roll it back and starve your services and punish your constituents with poor schools, roads, water, fire and police protection
    That's true and that's another difference between Texas and Louisiana. 1.5% of 3% property tax goes to fund the ISD. The better the school is, the higher the property tax.

Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    That's true and that's another difference between Texas and Louisiana. 1.5% of 3% property tax goes to fund the ISD. The better the school is, the higher the property tax.
    We are paying almost 3% here in Ouachita Parish (West Side).

We are paying almost 3% here in Ouachita Parish (West Side).
    Not if your only paying 1,300 for 250k house

Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    Not if your only paying 1,300 for 250k house
    Almost 3% of my total property tax goes to schools is what I should have said.

The total rate for schools on my tax bill is .0292.

Remember we have a homestead exemption of $75K along a VERY reduced rate of appraisal.

On houses above the exemption - you are usually paying less than 1.0% in total taxes (schools, roads, libraries etal) in rural North LA

Its usually closer to 0.5% -

Remember we have a homestead exemption of $75K along a VERY reduced rate of appraisal.
    Gotcha

Just for comparison even with the Louisiana homestead exemption, the local property tax 2.89 (some are higher and some are less) here in Texas would be

250-75=175k * .0164 = $2,870 for ISD
    = 175k * .0125 = $2,187 for city, county, all the rest
    $5,057 total annual property tax

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Things work in Texas. They have it figured out. Less liberal corruption maybe? More toll roads? More public transportation?
    Louisiana Act 513 of 1976. Took all of the authority away from the DOTD Chief Engineer (protected by Civil Service) and created political appointed positions in charge of finance and operations. Nine out of ten apparent poor decisions, or lack of doing anything at all, is based on the political climate du jour. If it is unpopular or controversial for anyone...it isn't getting done.

Varsity Bulldog DoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the roughDoubleDDawg is a jewel in the rough DoubleDDawg's Avatar

Reduced rate of appraisal? So your 250k house is appraised at?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDDawg View Post
    Reduced rate of appraisal? So your 250k house is appraised at?
    Like most others in this state, I'm not paying taxes on the "loan value". Ask anybody running for office if they would consider lowering the homestead exemption and see how fast they find another conversation to engage in.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

+ Reply to Thread