+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: U-La-La, the 1st Gay University

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: U-La-La, the 1st Gay University

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    The only two that jump out as kind of odd are "Fluency and Voice" and "Communication Theory". Everything else make sense for including at least some LGBT content.
    Most of those English courses jumped out to me. It will be interesting to find out what they are adding there.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    Buried in the fine print, i'm afraid, Maverick.

You are correct. My post that you quoted was badly worded on my part. It incorrectly implies overt "coersion" by the feds or whomever upon the administration of ULL to implement this "minor", which apparently didn't happen. BUT...there are all sorts of requirements tied to accepting public monies. Strings attached...if you will.

I suspect ULL, an institution like our own that depends on public funding, may not have been in any legal position to tell the supporters of this curricula NO.
    If by " fine print" and government "requirements" you mean a tolerance for people of diverse backgrounds and a respect for individual differences, I support that wholeheartedly!

I don't understand anyone's opposition to providing options to people who WANT to know more about a subject area.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

We can anxiously await long needed research projects such as this one:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/MemphisG...n-beauty-study

Research Participants Needed for Lesbian Beauty Study Posted by Bianca Phillips on Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Christy Beck, a researcher at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, is conducting a study on lesbian women's beauty standards in relation to their breasts.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

KATC Lafayette News reporting on the new LGBT studies minor: http://www.katc.com/news/new-lgbt-mi...-ul-lafayette/

Viewers ranting to KATC about the new LGBT studies minor: http://www.katc.com/videos/rant-lgbt-studies/

There's nothing about the new LGBT studies minor in the Lafayette newspaper The Advertiser.

The thread on RaginPagin apparently has been removed. I can't find it anymore.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    KATC Lafayette News reporting on the new LGBT studies minor: http://www.katc.com/news/new-lgbt-mi...-ul-lafayette/

Viewers ranting to KATC about the new LGBT studies minor: http://www.katc.com/videos/rant-lgbt-studies/

There's nothing about the new LGBT studies minor in the Lafayette newspaper The Advertiser.

The thread on RaginPagin apparently has been removed. I can't find it anymore.
    They'll just lie and hide it like they do the real name of their university.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    They'll just lie and hide it like they do the real name of their university.
    And their founding date.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I thought of a line in a Merle Haggard song when I read this. "Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHJ41ktt3Q

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    I thought of a line in a Merle Haggard song when I read this. "Are we rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFHJ41ktt3Q
    That sure applies to our great country right now as well.

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

New minor program at ULL

UL Lafayette is the first university in the state to offer a unique minor. Students can now minor in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender studies. Proponents of the new minor say the goal is education and acceptance. "The more that mainstream America is becoming more and more accepting of openly gay people, we in the South have not been as open," said Sociology Professor DeAnn Kalich, Ph.D. She spearheaded the development of the degree after a campus climate survey revealed a need and desire for more inclusion of LGBT students in all areas of campus life. Kalich says the campus is ideal for introducing what some might call a controversial area of study. "Inequality is something that UL does address and does so often before many of the other universities across the state."

Kalich and Assistant Coordinator Chiristina Newgebaver say students, whether or not lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender will learn more about the LGBT community. "Having something like this where other LGBT people or people that are just interested in being an ally can go, can get more information, can get the right kind of education and not the misconceived stereotypes," said Newgebaver.

Because of budget cuts, the LGBT minor will not include new classes, rather students will take classes already offered at the university. Not everyone is in favor of the new minor. Some professors have asked their courses not be included

http://www.katc.com/news/new-lgbt-mi...-ul-lafayette/

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    They know a thing or two about what's good for edumcation. Specially science.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

The Ragin GAYjuns of U-La-La! It just DOESN'T get any better than this!

The backlash continues...

From today's Lafayette Daily Advertiser:

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette began offering this past spring a sociology minor in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender, or LGBT, studies, and the program has attracted outrage from some Lafayette residents, including a U.S. congressman who wants the program dropped from the school’s curriculum.

The same day Savoie published his blog post on the new minor, U.S. Rep. Jeff Landry, R-New Iberia, wrote Savoie a letter saying he was “extremely disappointed” in the university’s decision to offer the LGBT studies minor because it “fails to provide an economic benefit to the participates or financial sense for the taxpayer.” Landry, who is seeking re-election this fall, asked Savoie to “drop this academic program.”

“As a proud alumnus and the son of two alumni, I have always been grateful of the education I received at ULL and the institution’s contribution to Acadiana, Louisiana at the nation, but I am concerned if future graduates will be able to say the same,” Landry wrote in his letter to Savoie. “As our nation continues to struggle with high unemployment, higher education’s primary mission should be ensuring current and future students have the tools necessary to compete in the 21st century economy. I think you will agree that offering a minor in LGBT studies offers participants extremely limited employment prospects."

Read the entire story: http://www.theadvertiser.com/article...-disappointed-

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Link to Savoie's blog: http://louisiana.edu/blogs/president/

Between Valarie Hodges realizing that "religious" does not always mean "Christian" and now, Jeff Landry calling on the ULL President to do away with an academic minor because of his personal intolerance of diversity--Louisiana is looking quite stupid to the rest of the country.

For those of you who have ridiculed ULL for this--perhaps you should take a closer look at academic minors and majors across the state, including Louisiana Tech. Simply because the title of the degree/minor does not include LGBT doesn't mean the training excludes culturally relevant material. Any human services field that does not address the needs of all individuals--White, Black, old, young, Christian, Jewish, female, male, LGBTQI, heterosexual, rich, poor...and so on...is worthless!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Link to Savoie's blog: http://louisiana.edu/blogs/president/

Between Valarie Hodges realizing that "religious" does not always mean "Christian" and now, Jeff Landry calling on the ULL President to do away with an academic minor because of his personal intolerance of diversity--Louisiana is looking quite stupid to the rest of the country.

For those of you who have ridiculed ULL for this--perhaps you should take a closer look at academic minors and majors across the state, including Louisiana Tech. Simply because the title of the degree/minor does not include LGBT doesn't mean the training excludes culturally relevant material. Any human services field that does not address the needs of all individuals--White, Black, old, young, Christian, Jewish, female, male, LGBTQI, heterosexual, rich, poor...and so on...is worthless!
    BS!

Bet you, and your libtard cohorts, would pitch a hissy fit if a university were to offer a minor in "Confederate studies." OMG! the outrage. Could be a minor in the history department.

But, the bigger issue is this. In these days of HUGE budget cuts universities are having to downsize legit offerings. How can anyone justify crap like this? If just ONE faculty member was added or retained to cover these courses, that is beyond ridiculous.

I do feel for our Gayjuns friends, however.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    BS!

Bet you, and your libtard cohorts, would pitch a hissy fit if a university were to offer a minor in "Confederate studies." OMG! the outrage. Could be a minor in the history department.

But, the bigger issue is this. In these days of HUGE budget cuts universities are having to downsize legit offerings. How can anyone justify crap like this? If just ONE faculty member was added or retained to cover these courses, that is beyond ridiculous.

I do feel for our Gayjuns friends, however.
    I can't speak to what "libtards" would say. If there were a legitimate interest in Confederate studies, I would have no problem with it (no doubt, you will paint me with your broad brush and assume I am lying). I don't, however, see the applicability of such a program, but one probably could say that about many academic minors.

From the ULL President's blog: "The development of this new minor did not require budgetary allocations or divert resources from other areas as it allows students to choose from a list of nearly 100 existing courses across several disciplines."

Do you also object to our university's Prism organization or the Gay Straight Alliance (may have been merged into Prism, not sure) and the University resources they use?

+ Reply to Thread