+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Changes Needed

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Coaching Changes Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    If he feels holtz is holding him back out of fear for him taking his job then I wouldn’t be surprised. Honestly, I think we are lucky to have held onto him as long as we have. When we hired him, I thought he would be hired away quick. I bet he did too.
    I have always hoped his career goal is to stay with Tech and lead us where we all want Tech to be.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I believe the only way this offense improves is for us to have an AD that will sit down with our HC and state that he HAS to put an offense in place that will excite the fans. It is his choice on if that is hiring a new OC, promoting Tim, or staying with what he has. In any case, it need to be clear to him that if he doesn't produce an offense that will get the fans to the games and win, then his job is in question - no matter how many bowls we win. SD needs to see the urgency of this situation. I LOVE that our defense is playing so well, but we are losing our casual fan base in big chunks right now due to an unexciting product on the field. Ultimately, this needs to come from our President down to the AD down to the HC and down from there. Each person under Dr. Guice needs to be held accountable and make something happen quickly or that person's job is on the line. That is the only way this will work.
    I have always found an outstanding defense to be as exciting as an outstanding offense. It would be nice to have both.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    I have always found an outstanding defense to be as exciting as an outstanding offense. It would be nice to have both.
    Yes, but our defense isn't a big problem right now. I do agree with you, though; although exciting offenses usually get more butts in the seats.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    We only have four basic plays/sets.

Our QB has run better out of those limited sets when he appears to have the green light to run or throw. This "green light" only happened maybe 6(?) total quarters throughout the year. Holtz was asked why he didn't allow it more by Nick Brown and Aaron Dietrich. Both times he said he didn't want to risk turnovers.

So there we have it. Turnovers are bad. Losing games is acceptable.
    Ole Hud dumbed down his offense and was fired by ull. He publicly stated he was trying to avoid turnovers

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

The last few years a lot of folks had been calling for Baker's head. Why the sudden turn around?
    Performance. Why is THAT so hard for some people to understand? It's the law of the jungle; get things done, and you live to fight another day. Don't get it done, and you die. Please let me know which part of this you don't understand?

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Performance. Why is THAT so hard for some people to understand? It's the law of the jungle; get things done, and you live to fight another day. Don't get it done, and you die. Please let me know which part of this you don't understand?
    I understand that many folks want immediate gratification. The possibilities exist that either Baker didn't have the players earlier or required to better learn the job as he matured as a coordinator.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I understand that many folks want immediate gratification. The possibilities exist that either Baker didn't have the players earlier or required to better learn the job as he matured as a coordinator.
    Of course, people want immediate gratification. Duh! For God's sake, Baker didn't join a football team that was 0-12. Baker became DC when LA Tech was winning 9 games a year. Why wouldn't fans expect immediate gratification? Our defense performed very well under Manny Diaz in 2014. I guess if you were a ULM fan, you wouldn't "want immediate gratification".

To your point, this was Bakers 4th season as LA Tech's DC. He finally succeeded in a big way, and everyone is happy for him. Fans were happy with his defense. So THAT'S the answer to your really......how do I say this nicely.....not so smart question above.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

I concede that the defense finished pretty good but I also remember all those times when we had several teams stymied with 3 and long like 10 yards or more and game up drive extending first downs that either led to scores agayus or gave up important field position. I can’t accept rushing 3 as was often the case in those situations. If it wasn’t the lack of pressure on the QB that did us in it was escaping running QBs that did. Once again I’m not sure if it was Baker’s play it safe and hope for the best strategy that failed the situation or if it was by Holtz’s direction. The thing is if Tech hopes to have a good and even improved defense in 2019 I hope they change this particular approach.

Varsity Bulldog Kodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the rough

Link is gone.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kodawg View Post
    Link is gone.
    Yep, so is our best receiver who missed the bus to Longview.

No word yet on why our All State Senior OLine guy was a no show in Hawaii. Was he busy with our S&C coach getting ready for the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodawg View Post
    Link is gone.
    Yep. Link went to Appy St. He needed to go. Our Special Teams struggled again in the Hawaii Bowl. We gave up another blocked punt, and a long kick return which almost turned into a TD for Hawaii. Dyer did have 2 good punts inside the UH 10-yd line, but he also shanked one.

Yep, so is our best receiver who missed the bus to Longview.

No word yet on why our All State Senior OLine guy was a no show in Hawaii. Was he busy with our S&C coach getting ready for the NFL?
    Who is the receiver you are referring to?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Who is the receiver you are referring to?
    Bonnette

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bonnette
    What’s the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    What’s the deal?
    Who knows for sure?

Our HC will never be up front with his fan base. We are unworthy...

+ Reply to Thread