+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 86 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

I know some wants a big name school, let's see...from a quick glance at some "Big Name" schools, many are booked next year.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/2015...-schedules.php

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

[QUOTE=Brad;1494556][QUOTE=inudesu;1494332]When we're getting left out of access bowls, that'll be the time to start worrying about our scheduling. I think we're ok for the moment.

Seriously!?!? ... I can't believe I just read that. This is like saying "We will put sprinklers in the building after it has already burned down."

Do you not understand that during two of the past three years, we had teams that were in the conversation for the access/BCS bowls? We are not as far off as you think. We were only nine points from having a strong shot of being there in 2014. While I don't think it is likely, I do know there is a chance we could be the one to get the access bowl bid this year if things break our way. Having a SWAC team on the schedule will kill our strength of schedule. What hurt Marshall this year? Their out of conference schedule. Had they played and beat anyone with a pulse in OOC, the could have overcome the WKU loss.

I can see the arguments for a good gate with Southern and Grambling, but this is lazy scheduling and the gate argument does not outweigh everything else. With the opening of the long-awaited facility, you would think the University would have signed a big name for the grand opening. Playing Southern has no TV appeal. CUSA would have loved to see one of its top programs open the season with a decent opponent at home while showcasing a state-of-the-art facility on national facility. Instead, we have a game that no one outside of Louisiana will care about or see. Small-time thinking produces small-time results.

While there are some things that I like about our AD, I often wonder if he believes Tech should distance itself from the NSUs, ulms, ulls and McNeeses of the Louisiana. It seems we are in a Southland-mode of thinking when it comes to scheduling.

I remember how we were all longing for the days that we would be in a good regional conference so we wouldn't need to play ull, NSU or Southern. Isn't it ironic that we are now in a regional conference and we loading up our non-conference schedules with ull, NSU and Southern?

PS: For the record, I strongly believe that no FBS team should play FCS teams.
    No Brad -

This is very good scheduling - most everyone plays ONE FCS school annually

There is not a better FCS school in the country to host in Ruston than SU -

A bad scheduling argument can be made about the Cajuns - but not SU

The Cajuns were the EASY way out -

I want schools that will put people in the seats and ring the cash registers OOC - not one where we are receiving a WASH form a home and home or a 2 for 1
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Brad;1494556][QUOTE=inudesu;1494332]When we're getting left out of access bowls, that'll be the time to start worrying about our scheduling. I think we're ok for the moment.

Seriously!?!? ... I can't believe I just read that. This is like saying "We will put sprinklers in the building after it has already burned down."

Do you not understand that during two of the past three years, we had teams that were in the conversation for the access/BCS bowls? We are not as far off as you think. We were only nine points from having a strong shot of being there in 2014. While I don't think it is likely, I do know there is a chance we could be the one to get the access bowl bid this year if things break our way. Having a SWAC team on the schedule will kill our strength of schedule. What hurt Marshall this year? Their out of conference schedule. Had they played and beat anyone with a pulse in OOC, the could have overcome the WKU loss.

I can see the arguments for a good gate with Southern and Grambling, but this is lazy scheduling and the gate argument does not outweigh everything else. With the opening of the long-awaited facility, you would think the University would have signed a big name for the grand opening. Playing Southern has no TV appeal. CUSA would have loved to see one of its top programs open the season with a decent opponent at home while showcasing a state-of-the-art facility on national facility. Instead, we have a game that no one outside of Louisiana will care about or see. Small-time thinking produces small-time results.

While there are some things that I like about our AD, I often wonder if he believes Tech should distance itself from the NSUs, ulms, ulls and McNeeses of the Louisiana. It seems we are in a Southland-mode of thinking when it comes to scheduling.

I remember how we were all longing for the days that we would be in a good regional conference so we wouldn't need to play ull, NSU or Southern. Isn't it ironic that we are now in a regional conference and we loading up our non-conference schedules with ull, NSU and Southern?

Playing an FCS team every year won't keep us out of an access Bowl. We simply have to play 1 to 2 P5 teams every seaon. A 11-2 Boise beat out Marshall not because of an FCS game but because they didn't play any P5. You won't have to worry about Tech being left out of an Access Bowl due to scheduling. We always play a couple P5s

Varsity Bulldog Brad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I know some wants a big name school, let's see...from a quick glance at some "Big Name" schools, many are booked next year.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/2015...-schedules.php
    Yes, there are only a half-dozen FBS schools with openings now. Do you think this deal was only cooked up in the last few weeks? If it was, then shame on the AD. But I don't believe this to be the case. FBS schools sign deals well in advance, even with FCS schools (look at the site's Twitter feed today to see examples.) Making the case that there is no one to make a deal with now is not a legitimate argument. The bottom line is that we took the easy route. This is lazy scheduling.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yes, there are only a half-dozen FBS schools with openings now. Do you think this deal was only cooked up in the last few weeks? If it was, then shame on the AD. But I don't believe this to be the case. FBS schools sign deals well in advance, even with FCS schools (look at the site's Twitter feed today to see examples.) Making the case that there is no one to make a deal with now is not a legitimate argument. The bottom line is that we took the easy route. This is lazy scheduling.
    Got a few names? And how many are willing to start on the road?

Varsity Bulldog Black is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the rough

Well, like it or not we are playing a FCS team every year. Most rather play Southern than Central Arkansas, Nicholls, etc. This game isn't taking the place of a possible one and one with a better team. If playing a FCS team is "small time" then every team in the country is small time.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

You may not think FBS schools should play FCS teams (I'm not crazy about it, but in the current set-up it's really a life-saver for home games for the G5 schools), but we're going to be doing it (and needing to do it) for as long as we're playing 2 money games per year.

I really don't think we're likely to see the committee distinguish between FCS teams. And even if they did, you can't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out who's going to be a good FCS team in a given year just on the off chance that the one G5 auto-bid is going to come down to two teams with the same record against similar schedules except that one played a better FCS team. That just isn't something you can plan for. Nobody tried to distinguish a difference between Baylor playing Northwestern State and TCU playing Samford. It was just "they each played an FCS team."

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

If you're arguing FBS instead of playing an FCS at all, then it wasn't lazy, it was a conscious choice. We have two away games, and the second half of a one-for-one on the books. If you want another home game, you're either booking an FCS team or starting another one-for-one (which is fine, but you do tighten up your options for whatever year you have to return the game). Not to mention the fact that a lot of those schools that have openings would not be willing to travel first. Or wouldn't be able to play the week we have open. Or wouldn't travel to Ruston at all. Or are even less attractive than most FCS teams for our fans (despite playing at the FBS level).

[QUOTE=Dwayne From Minden;1494560][QUOTE=Brad;1494556]
    Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    When we're getting left out of access bowls, that'll be the time to start worrying about our scheduling. I think we're ok for the moment.

not one where we are receiving a WASH form a home and home or a 2 for 1
    See, I'll take the home and home or 2 for 1, but my issue is that with 2 money games you don't have room for this to get you enough home games.

If we play all our games on the road, we're not going to be worrying about access bowls because we're not going to be winning.

Varsity Bulldog Brad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Dwayne From Minden;1494560][QUOTE=Brad;1494556]
    Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    When we're getting left out of access bowls, that'll be the time to start worrying about our scheduling. I think we're ok for the moment.

No Brad -

This is very good scheduling - most everyone plays ONE FCS school annually

There is not a better FCS school in the country to host in Ruston than SU -

A bad scheduling argument can be made about the Cajuns - but not SU

The Cajuns were the EASY way out -

I want schools that will put people in the seats and ring the cash registers OOC - not one where we are receiving a WASH form a home and home or a 2 for 1
    We will agree to disagree.

Go Dawgs!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

quote feature is wonderful when one learns how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    SCREW ALL OF YOU.
    Geez, simma down now.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

I'm DFiH and I approve this post!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by vlw View Post
    Not even close. SU would never play anyone for that low of a amount. SU turned down $225 with all expenses paid, Swac/Meac challenge game in Orlando which would have been on Espn 2.
    Lot cheaper trip from BR to Ruston via bus than it is from BR to Orlando via air/bus -

My guess is in the ballpark of $170k-180k in cash and 2k in tickets for a total package approaching $250k
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Puppy vlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Well, what do you say? Dewayne is our resident bean counter and expert on finances and accurate attendance. I'll buy his number until you throw one out.

And welcome to our board. Have many friends and childhood teachers who are SU alum.
    Cool, but I will say this. SU turned down $220,000 with expenses paid by Espn, for the Swac/Meac Challange in Orlando, which is being broadcasted live on Espn2. UGA is also paying SU $650,000. I know the exact amount, it's no where close to the number he stated lol. Why would we play someone for that amount when we could make way more at home.

+ Reply to Thread