+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UL-Lafayette just can't win

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Re: UL-Lafayette just can't win

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    Boy. You know it's slow when all we have to talk about is the City College of Lafayette and Monroe.

Fall camp can't get here fast enough.
    I wanted to keep talking retro video games, but here we are back on this crap again... meh. Guess I'll go watch KD's junior season highlight reel again.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed View Post
    I wanted to keep talking retro video games, but here we are back on this crap again... meh. Guess I'll go watch KD's junior season highlight reel again.
    Go ahead and shell out for the WiiU. Esp if you have kids in the house.

For all the flack it's taken, it's actually a great console with some crazy fun titles.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Bhaddawg, I am an attorney, and you can't assume this. Even under weird Louisiana law you must have "standing" to sue and generally the law making something "illegal" tells us who has standing. Lets take for instance the US antitrust laws. The Sherman Act says what is illegal and that the US Department of Justice can prosecute. Then Congress passes another law,the Clayton Act, that says that anyone who is harmed by an anti trust violation may bring a civil action. So there must be part of the legislative act in question which outlines who may prosecute or if just anyone harmed can sue. Even if you're harmed you can't sue unless there is a specific portion of the act allowing you to. These aren't just common law causes of action (which Louisiana doesn't have literally). Louisiana does have a general tort statute which simulates the old common law tort (if there is a wrong there is a remedy) I would guess it doesn't apply when specific acts are made illegal.
    HT, thanks for your input, that certainly clears some things up if I am looking at this correctly. what I am gathering from your comments is that until the legislature further defines a penalty and makes it part of this legislation, there is no recourse. Should that be the case, ULL can use the name anyway they want until someone passes legislation to define a remedy for violations.

Did I get close on that HT?

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Go ahead and shell out for the WiiU. Esp if you have kids in the house.

For all the flack it's taken, it's actually a great console with some crazy fun titles.
    Got it and love it. I only have the sports suite that comes with it, Mario Kart 8, and LoZ: Wind Waker, but that's all I've needed so far. Really impressed with this thing in the few months I've had it.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

After having read the Policy it is rather ambiguous legally. Firs it says that institutions "should" adhere to the policy not "shall". But then it specifically says that the use of the "University of Louisiana" without the "at ..." is prohibited, but this is part of the policy that "should" be adhered to. This may be double talk to laymen but to a judge it isn't. There is a world of difference between "should" and"shall".

The Policy says the the Act specifically also "authorized the Board of Trustees and Board of Regents to approve the change of name of any university within the System to the “University of Louisiana at (its geographic location)” provided no less than two institutions make a request for and are approved to change the institutional names.

Since the act left it up to the Boards to approve the name changes, unless you guys can find anything else in the Statute, then only the Boards can enforce the policy.

Now that is only one lawyer's opinion and you can probably find at least one if not ten who disagree.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Now further to my above post. If Northeast hadn't asked for the name change we wouldn't be facing this BS.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    Not an attorney and I am sure there is one on the board that can answer it, but my guess would be yes. I would think that not only ordinary citizens, but probably non university affiliated groups such as alumni groups, athletic groups, etc. could sue to not only make them obey the law, but damages. ULM organizations would probably have a decent case for damages I would think.

Someone could begin organizing a lawsuit and/or class action litigation and I am sure it would begin getting some attention, especially if damages were involved.

Everyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but that would be my guess.
    Kind of odd question but....does anyone own the trademark "University of Louisiana"? It would be funny if another school (maybe Tech) grabbed it and started making big money from selling licensed merchandise of a school that doesn't exist to help fund their athletic department. It would be even funnier to see ULL crying about it not being fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    Kind of odd question but....does anyone own the trademark "University of Louisiana"? It would be funny if another school (maybe Tech) grabbed it and started making big money from selling licensed merchandise of a school that doesn't exist to help fund their athletic department. It would be even funnier to see ULL crying about it not being fair.
    Nothing came up when I searched, so it could be up for grabs!

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    I have often suggested LOUISIANA TECH, THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA which I believe is catchier that THE TECH. Don't leave out the comma. See what the board does. This may get their attention.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Built4Speed View Post
    Don't give up! Maybe we can derail it. There's still time!

Okay. ULL can't win video games.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Now further to my above post. If Northeast hadn't asked for the name change we wouldn't be facing this BS.
    Explain . . . I thought USL wanted the name change, but Legislature/LSU only would allow UL if it were UL-L and they found someone else to go along . . . UL-M.

Nevermind.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Explain . . . I thought USL wanted the name change, but Legislature/LSU only would allow UL if it were UL-L and they found someone else to go along . . . UL-M.

Nevermind.
    Yes, D.P.. As you know nlu was on a desert island and placed there by mean old LaTech. They had no hope of ever getting in a conference outside of the Southland and had been a 1A loser for a number of years. They were DEAD! Lawson Swearingen and usl knew it and came up with a very expensive and paper wasting plan. Swearingen's dumb ass signed off on it and the rest is history. The main author of the bill was Tech Grad and sore loser (he didn't get the presidents job over Dan Reneau) Francis Thompson. Thompson's family are LaTech fans, but Francis is a fan of whoever kisses his ass the most. Swearingen has a permanent pucker formed and is also a mouth breathing moron.

Bulldog Ragin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Seriously ?Why would you delete my post?

Bulldog Ragin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeRagin4U Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Why would you delete this?

+ Reply to Thread