+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: USM Series

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: USM Series

Quote Originally Posted by EagNBran View Post
    Because it's our team? You really expect us to boo and moan our own team? It's called having fun at a game. La Tech fans would do the same thing if it was in Ruston, or at least I hope they would.
    Actually that's what the debate has been here. The example I used of low baseball IQ was booing a pitcher for holding a runner on 1st. It happens a lot, but most true baseball fans won't boo that, they accept it as part of the game, just as a pitcher stepping off the rubber, batters calling time outs, pitches faking to second, etc.. My point was that the more fans at a game, the more booing you will hear. USM has very high attendance, thus more booing than we are accustomed to hearing.

Some Tech fans are not buying my excuse for the USM fans who boo often.

IMO, you only boo opposing players when they play dirty (in any sport). I normally give umpires the benefit of the doubt until I see a coach get upset.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Actually that's what the debate has been here. The example I used of low baseball IQ was booing a pitcher for holding a runner on 1st. It happens a lot, but most true baseball fans won't boo that, they accept it as part of the game, just as a pitcher stepping off the rubber, batters calling time outs, pitches faking to second, etc.. My point was that the more fans at a game, the more booing you will hear. USM has very high attendance, thus more booing than we are accustomed to hearing.

IMO, you only boo opposing players when they play dirty (in any sport). I normally give umpires the benefit of the doubt until I see a coach get upset.
    Ditto
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's our team? You really expect us to boo and moan our own team? It's called having fun at a game. La Tech fans would do the same thing if it was in Ruston, or at least I hope they would.
    Exactly. Did you hear the TECH fans boo him??? NO!

Puppy EagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really niceEagNBran is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

I think it's mostly all in fun though. I've never seen anyone boo a pitcher for holding a runner on at first unless it's like the third or fourth time he's thrown to the base. At that point, the crowd is just saying "Let's move along, come on."

But I agree with what you're saying. I just don't think most fans are booing because they're actually mad (except at the ump, who was bad both ways all weekend). One person will boo, just screwing around, and others join in for the heck of it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

One person will boo, just screwing around, and others join in for the heck of it.
    ...or they assume the person who started the yelling knows what he is talking about. Like the balk call on Saturday...Our guy got called for not coming set (I assume) then later when our pitcher faked to 2nd, one of the USM fans by your dugout yelled, "balk!" and the rest of the fans over there went nuts! I think it happened again yesterday.

That's the one that upset some of our fans here.

One thing we can agree on is that Mike Mazza or John Bullock don't need to be calling the tournament games.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

A lot of people talking about baseball IQ and us saying Tech cheated and being whiners, so I feel the need to respond.

1. Southern Miss fans have a high baseball IQ. There wasn't a USM fan in the stands that didn't realize how tough a team La Tech has this year. It was a grinder of a series, as expected.

2. The "whining" came from a few fans that feel like some calls went Tech's way Friday that would have changed the game. Those people are at every school and crap happens. Most people aren't going to complain about it.

3. Booing was done when Tech continued calling time out. Unlike in football, where WKU booed USM players for injury, this is completely different. We booed because we didn't like the ump and we didn't like the constant time outs. It's that simple. I'll be honest, I'm shocked this was brought up because it happens at literally every college baseball game I've ever been to, and I've been to quite a lot.

4. To those thinking we were yelling "balk" and mad that the umps wouldn't call it, I really don't know what to tell you. People tell balk all the time to try to get the ump to call it. It's not serious and we really don't expect to get the call, it's just fun.

I hope to see some Tech fans in Hattiesburg for the tournament. It will be a lot of fun and I think y'all have a great team. I just hope y'all aren't creating the wrong perception of us based off of some things that literally every school does, mostly all in fun.
    Nobody said USM fans said we cheated. He was saying that's what the ULL fans always say. "Tech cheated to beat ULL in football. Tech cheated to beat ULL in basketball. Tech cheated to beat ULL in baseball. Tech cheated to get in C-USA." Blah. Blah. Blah. That wasn't directed at USM.

The booing was over the top. Never heard anything like it. It was really whiney and annoying trying to listen to a broadcast, and all you could hear was nonstop booing in the background for two games. It was as if a bunch of WWE fans showed up at their first baseball game. Booing the umpires is one thing, but USM fans were booing every little baseball thing. They booed our batters calling time when their pitchers stalled too long. They booed every throw to 1st. They booed when we got HBP even on a ball 4. And on and on and on. They called for balks every time our pitcher turned to 2nd when you can't balk to 2nd. That's simply low baseball IQ.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 05-16-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Varsity Bulldog SpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant future

Wow, what a great series Dogs. I know losing the last two probably that isn't how you guys see it, but I assure you, USM fans were very impressed with the hard play of your team. After Friday night, a series win over the weekend didn't look good for my Eagles.

Great to see Tech baseball on the rise. CUSA doesn't have the brick wall in our face like it is in football and to some extent basketball. CUSA can be a top tier baseball league for years to come. With the rise of Tech and Marshall baseball this year, the league looks strong. Your Dogs definitely deserve to be in regional. Best of luck in the series this week against the Owls. I really think your team can take that series at home. I know you will have great crowds and it will be a great environment. Go get em Dogs.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I hope they get to boo a lot in two weeks.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadEagle View Post
    Wow, what a great series Dogs. I know losing the last two probably that isn't how you guys see it, but I assure you, USM fans were very impressed with the hard play of your team. After Friday night, a series win over the weekend didn't look good for my Eagles.

Great to see Tech baseball on the rise. CUSA doesn't have the brick wall in our face like it is in football and to some extent basketball. CUSA can be a top tier baseball league for years to come. With the rise of Tech and Marshall baseball this year, the league looks strong. Your Dogs definitely deserve to be in regional. Best of luck in the series this week against the Owls. I really think your team can take that series at home. I know you will have great crowds and it will be a great environment. Go get em Dogs.
    I respect USM baseball. The overall atmosphere was fun at the park except for one loud mouthed woman on Friday on the first base side. Y'all definitely have some sticks in your lineup. We have a good pitching staff, but our bats need a lot of work.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I wish Sunday we would have tried more hit and run or something to manufacture runs. When you're struggling to score against a great team like USM you have to take chances. I think we had runners on base every inning but the 8th and nary a run.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The old Earl Weaver strategy was "3-run homers." Station to station baseball. Weaver NEVER wanted to run himself out of a big inning. So, play it safe, get people on, and hope to get that big hit, like a HR or bases-clearing double in the gap. Goff has traces of that philosophy. Nothing wrong with it....Weaver's Orioles were World Champions and he's a Hall of Fame manager. But, sometimes it just doesn't work out, and you lose 2-0 while stranding 10 base runners....

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Don't have the stats on hit-and-run attempts by Bulldogs, but they do run a lot -- have attempted 105 stolen bases this season, and they have been successful 77 times. That is about double the amount of attempted steals opponents have tried against us for the season. USM has only attempted 50-something steals for the season.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

We did try several hit-and-runs. Just fouled 'em off... or not. Like when Stark stole 2nd base. Then the ump said foul and sent him back to first. And then they had an ump conference and decided it wasn't a foul ball. But then they wouldn't let Stark return to 2nd because they said he didn't call time and went back to 1st on his own.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    We did try several hit-and-runs. Just fouled 'em off... or not. Like when Stark stole 2nd base. Then the ump said foul and sent him back to first. And then they had an ump conference and decided it wasn't a foul ball. But then they wouldn't let Stark return to 2nd because they said he didn't call time and went back to 1st on his own.
    Then he should have been out cause USM tagged him on the way back to first.

Hope Coach uses that as a lesson. Never ever retreat a base unless the umpire expressly forces you to.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

This USM fan and his friends were booing badly during the game:

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

And "Miss Southern Miss" was in attendance as well:

Last edited by HogDawg; 05-17-2016 at 01:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread