+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Op/Ed: The Independence Bowl is in trouble

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Op/Ed: The Independence Bowl is in trouble

The Independence Bowl is in a lot of trouble. There’s really no way to sugarcoat it.

What was once a great tradition in northwest Louisiana featuring good games with decent teams has declined into a bowl game with mediocre teams most years.

In 2016, the Independence Bowl Committee got what it wanted all year long: ACC vs SEC. And few people wanted to see it.

For full article: http://www.latechreport.com/2017/01/...is-in-trouble/

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Re: Op/Ed: The Independence Bowl is in trouble

Unless it makes some very radical changes, the Independence Bowl, or the "Toilet Bowl" as it is better known as in Baton Rouge, is doomed. The good people of Shreveport wouldn't support a matchup between very good, non-regional G5 teams any better than they support SEC and ACC bottom dwellers. The only way to have any kind of decent crowd at any bowl game of this level is for it to have regional participants. For the I-Bowl, that's usually going to mean that it will need one of either La Tech, Ark State, USM, or Houston in its bowl. An I-Bowl featuring Tech against a decent opponent would always guarantee an actual attendance of around 40K. With USM, Houston, or Ark St as a participant, the I-Bowl could count on an actual attendance of at least 30K.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

ESPN needs to purchase the bowl. They can find the right sponsor and get a "better" matchup.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why the committee is not held more responsible. I still don't know how that committee is selected. They have been horrible.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Good job. Great research work. Thanks.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

The ESPN staff of the HODBowl and AFBowl in DFW have their stuff together.

Both of those bowls had local focus, lots for teams/fans to do.

Well-attended, compared to most other bowls.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    The ESPN staff of the HODBowl and AFBowl in DFW have their stuff together.

Both of those bowls had local focus, lots for teams/fans to do.

Well-attended, compared to most other bowls.
    I came away HIGHLY impressed with the LMAFB -

Even with the parking issues on campus, it was a really good experience if we hadn't won

I would almost deem both them NICHE bowls - one that caters to the military ties in the area while the other ties itself to the first responders in the area - plus it doesn't hurt that there are more folks in that area than the entire state of Louisiana...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I don't understand why the committee is not held more responsible. I still don't know how that committee is selected. They have been horrible.
    You are correct. Former LSU golfer Missy Setters is the Executive Director of the I-Bowl committee, and has been since 2006. She has been a member of the I-Bowl staff since 1996, serving previously as the "Media Relations Manager". Setters is married to a former LSU football player (Ross Setters) and is very vocal about her support for LSU. Furthermore, she's down right hostile towards LA Tech. We know this because after LA Tech was twice snubbed by the Indy Bowl in 1997 (9 wins) and 1999 (8 wins), Missy Setters used to visit this very board (BB&B) and spar with us about why LA Tech wasn't worthy of an Indy Bowl invite.

Yep. Right here on BB&B folks.

MISSY SETTERS is the real reason the Indy Bowl screwed over a 9-3 LA Tech back in 2012. Setters was NOT happy that the school she hates most --LA Tech-- appeared to be the best option for her Indy Bowl fan base that year. So she gave Tech's leadership a very short fuse to respond to an invite. She issued the invite to Tech on a Friday night/Saturday morning, and demanded an immediate answer from LA Tech. When LA Tech officials responded by asking for 24 hours (in order to let that Saturday's games be played out to gauge the Liberty Bowls interest in Tech), Missy Setters --as Executive Director of the Indpendence Bowl-- pulled LA Tech's Indy Bowl offer off the table.

For most LA Tech fans that were also long time supporters of the Indy Bowl, this was the final straw. Missy Setters and the Indy Bowl committee had crossed a line and jilted a very worthy LA Tech team when it was obvious that the Bowl's alternatives were NOT better. It smacked of being spiteful. This failed move by Setters and company only worked to further erode the Indy Bowl's local support amongst LA Tech fans living in the Shreveport area. And as it turns out, LA Tech fans made up a significant portion of the Indy Bowl's supporters, and the Bowl's poor decisions had done irreparable damage to its own fan base.

Missy Setters is the problem. She always has been the problem, and it's amazing to me that the good people of Shreveport just can't see it. My message to the Shreveport community and the I-Bowl is: It's okay to change LEADERSHIP every decade or so folks. Missy Setters has been around too long and needs to go. The Independence Bowl is desperate for fresh, new leadership.

Unfortunately for the people and businesses of Shreveport-Bossier, Missy Setters is slowly, steadily, killing their Independence Bowl.

http://campingworldindependencebowl.com/about-us/staff/

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ory?id=2306222
    Last edited by HogDawg; 01-04-2017 at 12:40 PM.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You are correct. Former LSU golfer Missy Setters is the Executive Director of the I-Bowl committee, and has been since 2006. She has been a member of the I-Bowl staff since 1996, serving previously as the "Media Relations Manager". Setters is married to a former LSU football player (Ross Setters) and is very vocal about her support for LSU. Furthermore, she's down right hostile towards LA Tech. We know this because after LA Tech was twice snubbed by the Indy Bowl in 1997 (9 wins) and 1999 (8 wins), Missy Setters used to visit this very board (BB&B) and spar with us about why LA Tech wasn't worthy of an Indy Bowl invite.

Yep. Right here on BB&B folks.
    Do you remember what her name was on here? I would love to read through her comments here. I'd also like to know why she hates Tech so much.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    Do you remember what her name was on here? I would love to read through her comments here. I'd also like to know why she hates Tech so much.
    http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showt...=missy+setters

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    FINALLY! I'm very glad to hear this. It's about time LA Tech fans and alumni showed the I-Bowl folks how important we are to their season ticket and sponsorship base.

The bottom line is, LA Tech --just like any other school with 9 wins-- wanted to wait until Sunday to make it's bowl decision. But the I-Bowl wouldn't wait, despite the fact that neither of their alternative teams (ULM or Ohio) were highly sought after. It would have literally cost the I-bowl NOTHING to wait, and the potential upside from waiting was HUGE for the I-Bowl.

Make no mistake, the I-Bowl was the big loser in this one. Yes, I feel bad for our 31 seniors....but LA Tech will come out of this mostly unscathed. (Especially since we no longer have a coaching staff anyway.) The I-Bowl is in a free fall right now. Corporate sponsors are fleeing, local Tech fans --which make up a large block of the I-Bowls season ticket base-- are angry, and the local media is bitter with this outcome. Yep, the I-Bowl is the big loser here.

HD
    The above post is from 12/29/2012. And here we are, 4-years later, truer words have never been spoken. LA Tech has recovered nicely. The I-Bowl....not so much.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Actually HD, I think this is the post that hit the homerun...

Email from Missy Setters

Originally Posted by AustinDawg
    I think the I-Bowl is in a real existential situation here. Due to an overabundence of hubris from their management, they have continuially alienated one of their largest potential core constituencies and every year that passes is less prestigious than the year before.

It is clear that Tech football and the I-Bowl are on divergent paths and it does us no good to focus too much attention on their struggles. Tech football will be here 10 years from now and in probably much better shape than it is even now. Can the same be said for the I-Bowl? Or will its existence be contained entirely within a glass display case on Clyde Fant next to Bradshaw's jersey and a Shreveport Steamer helmet?

I know that they feel like they needed to "teach us a lesson" and "put us in our place", but I really think the Bowl's only hope is a top-to-bottom change in the decision makers.

''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

And still LaTech fans support the crap bowl. Since the lsu/notre dame BS, my support is nil unless my Dawgs are playing!

#iwilleverloyalbeunlikesome

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Is there a reason that our relationship soured with the IBowl? I never understood the 2012 snub.

What reason do they have not to like Tech? Seems odd since we were accused of being in cahoots with them in 2009.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Is there a reason that our relationship soured with the IBowl? I never understood the 2012 snub.
    What reason do they have not to like Tech? Seems odd since we were accused of being in cahoots with them in 2009.

+ Reply to Thread