+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston game question?

Frown Houston game question?

Maybe I missed something but it seems to me we had two excellant opportunities to kick field goals and we punted!!!! one correct me if I'm wrong, was a punt from the 20or 25yrd line! Why? that seemed weird.
    I thought we had ane of the best kickers in the conference? Do they have confidence in him?

Please help me to understand this
    Thanks

Big Dog SeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the rough

Re: Houston game question?

I don't remember punting in any place we could have got a FG. We went for it on 4th down close to the 50 once if I remember right (didn't understand why we did that). Ryan Allen did kick one around the 50 as well that went out around the 20-25 (once again if I recall correctly). It was not a good punt but he ws being rushed and didn't have time to get set so he made the right choice to do a wild kick.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeekerHound View Post
    I don't remember punting in any place we could have got a FG. We went for it on 4th down close to the 50 once if I remember right (didn't understand why we did that). Ryan Allen did kick one around the 50 as well that went out around the 20-25 (once again if I recall correctly). It was not a good punt but he ws being rushed and didn't have time to get set so he made the right choice to do a wild kick.
    I agree. IMHO we might have fared better with a well-place punt - instead I think we may have helped their comeback attempt.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Another question:

Late in the game the dawgs were all huddled around the coaches on fourth down as Matt went out on the field and put on a great show pretending to be warming up for a FG attempt. So UofH sent out their FG defense and then we ran out our punting squad and snapped the ball only to have a whistle stop the play before the snap as a disorganized UofH defense frantically tried to get into formation.

It appeared that SD had tricked/outsmarted them and completely juked them out of their last timeout - then the ref said no timeout was charged to UofH.

What Happened?

Big Dog SeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the roughSeekerHound is a jewel in the rough

Well, I may be wrong, but I believe it is illegal to call two timeouts back to back. I've seen a team in the NFL get a penalty for it but it may not be a college rule. It could have also been that the refs called an "official timeout" (covering for Houston possibly?) for the clock. I know they reset the clock about 50 times that game.

Varsity Bulldog B.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    Another question:

Late in the game the dawgs were all huddled around the coaches on fourth down as Matt went out on the field and put on a great show pretending to be warming up for a FG attempt. So UofH sent out their FG defense and then we ran out our punting squad and snapped the ball only to have a whistle stop the play before the snap as a disorganized UofH defense frantically tried to get into formation.

It appeared that SD had tricked/outsmarted them and completely juked them out of their last timeout - then the ref said no timeout was charged to UofH.

What Happened?
    I was really surprised Sonny didn't pick up his typical 1 per game penalty flag on that call.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Y.O.C.B. View Post
    I was really surprised Sonny didn't pick up his typical 1 per game penalty flag on that call.
    He looked ready to. I was really worried about SD telling one of our guys to tackle a ref just to get a message through (obviously he wouldn't, but I'd find it funny).

Varsity Bulldog B.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by SeekerHound View Post
    He looked ready to. I was really worried about SD telling one of our guys to tackle a ref just to get a message through (obviously he wouldn't, but I'd find it funny).
    I think I would have been okay with Sonny getting the penalty for that call.. I am still scratching my head on why they were not charged a timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Y.O.C.B. View Post
    I think I would have been okay with Sonny getting the penalty for that call.. I am still scratching my head on why they were not charged a timeout.
    Is there a way to get an explanation of what happened?

Ask Sonny Dykes? I have no clue how to find out.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

For the punt question, this is the punts from our side of the field according to the box score:
    2nd quarter TECH up 21-6: punt from the 40 (would be a 57 yard attempt), and 86 puts it down on the 2.
    4th quarter TECH up 42-2: on the 50, accept a 5 yard DOG penalty to punt from the 45. Sorry punter kicks it in the endzone for a touchback. Last year's punter would have put that inside the 5. I miss that guy.
    4th Quarter TECH up 56-42: on the 35 (would be a 52 yard attempt) and RA doesn't know how to hit one that short... goes out of bounds at the 20. Should have tried the FG to make it a 3 score game. 33 has the leg for that.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Weren't we going into the wind during the 4th quarter? That might have had something to do with it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

On the non-timeout call. If I remember correctly, the announcers said something to the effect that there is a rule in place that you have to allow the receiving unit to get into place, and with the quick deception, that didn't happen. So, the officials stopped the play to allow them to get into position and didn't charge Houston with the timeout.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    Weren't we going into the wind during the 4th quarter? That might have had something to do with it.
    No. We had the wind at our back in the 4th quarter.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    On the non-timeout call. If I remember correctly, the announcers said something to the effect that there is a rule in place that you have to allow the receiving unit to get into place, and with the quick deception, that didn't happen. So, the officials stopped the play to allow them to get into position and didn't charge Houston with the timeout.
    We changed players (Allen in for Nelson) which allows them to make a change in defense.

+ Reply to Thread