+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: College Football Playoff

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Re: College Football Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    If they can justify that crap that aired last night at halftime as entertainment they can justify anything.
    As my wife pointed out to me, that "whatever it was" probably appealed to the college-aged crowd. I thought it sucked and I would have much rather have listened to the Zac Brown Band perform at halftime. I was so "offended" I didn't make note of who the sponsors were so I could let them know what I thought of the ... (words are inadequate to describe what it was).

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    Hurts has problems in the pocket to the point if left uncorrected, he will never be a dual threat QB.
    Yeah he probably maxed out last season as SEC Offensive Player of the Year last season. No doubt Tagovailoa is a better option. Hurts will rebound somewhere if he decides to transfer.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    As Saban got his troops into position to win in regulation with a FG, I thought to myself "Hey, that's a very Holtz thing to do." :-)
    The "Holtz thing to do" was what Georgia did after the long touchdown throw with ~7:00 to go in the third to go up 20-7.

Here are their drives for the rest of the game, and IIRC, they only completed 1 pass during that span.

1 play, 0 yards, INT
    7 plays, 21 yards, Punt
    7 plays, 28 yards, Punt
    3 plays, 9 yards, Punt
    3 plays, 7 yards, Punt

They tried to play "not to lose" and it cost them. Holtz football in a nutshell.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    The "Holtz thing to do" was what Georgia did after the long touchdown throw with ~7:00 to go in the third to go up 20-7.

Here are their drives for the rest of the game, and IIRC, they only completed 1 pass during that span.

1 play, 0 yards, INT
    7 plays, 21 yards, Punt
    7 plays, 28 yards, Punt
    3 plays, 9 yards, Punt
    3 plays, 7 yards, Punt

They tried to play "not to lose" and it cost them. Holtz football in a nutshell.
    Yep. This game, the national championship, came down to the Georgia coach getting gun shy in the second half. They were clearly trying to “run out the clock” instead of putting more points on the board. After Fromm’s tipped interception there wasn’t a passing play down field until the last drive when Alabama knew they would be passing.

Also the Georgia defense failed to adapt for the passing QB. They were still defending as if Hurtz was in there. (Great game plan for Hurtz. Didn’t help them in the 2nd half. Credit Saban for seeing and adjusting to this.)

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Yep. This game, the national championship, came down to the Georgia coach getting gun shy in the second half. They were clearly trying to “run out the clock” instead of putting more points on the board. After Fromm’s tipped interception there wasn’t a passing play down field until the last drive when Alabama knew they would be passing.

Also the Georgia defense failed to adapt for the passing QB. They were still defending as if Hurtz was in there. (Great game plan for Hurtz. Didn’t help them in the 2nd half. Credit Saban for seeing and adjusting to this.)

Except he was trying to pull him before that TD pass. Luckily, he didn't have time before the play started. Other than that, well played....

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg1984 View Post
    Kannell's point was Boise and TCU were really good teams when they were in the top-10 back in the BCS days. Their SOS wasn't killer but they dominated most opponents. Kannell does have a good point about establishing criteria for G5 schools to prove they're worthy. Otherwise, we're looking at Troy and Appy State claiming NC championships and getting into NY6 bowl games because the won the Sun Belt. Troy's only blemishes were 24-13 loss to Boise State and a 19-8 loss to S. Alabama. Sure, Troy beat LSPoo. But had they not lost to Boise and USA do you think they would be worthy of CFP spot or at least a NY 6 bowl game?

Believe me, I want G5s to get the respect we deserve. But allowing a school to put together an easy schedule so they can go undefeated or 11-1 won't get us there. To me, requiring 3 P5 games on your schedule ups the ante. Conversely, the P5s have to step up and schedule the better G5 teams. We all know when a G5 gets good it's harder to schedule P5 teams. With criteria of 3 P5 games the strong G5s should be able to call out those P5s that only schedule weak G5 teams.
    That's a crazy bar to set. You can call out P5s all you want, but there are a number of reasons (excuses) they will give for scheduling the way they do. It would certainly be beneficial to the P5s. With that much demand for P5 games the guarantees would drop like a rock. Also the P5s would be under no obligation to schedule G5s so they could effectively exclude whoever they want.

If we want to do a P5- G5 game between league champions at the end of the year I say great, but making all G5s schedule 3/4 games on the road vs P5 just gives them way more power than they already have (which is already almost all of the power).

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    That's a crazy bar to set. You can call out P5s all you want, but there are a number of reasons (excuses) they will give for scheduling the way they do. It would certainly be beneficial to the P5s. With that much demand for P5 games the guarantees would drop like a rock. Also the P5s would be under no obligation to schedule G5s so they could effectively exclude whoever they want.

If we want to do a P5- G5 game between league champions at the end of the year I say great, but making all G5s schedule 3/4 games on the road vs P5 just gives them way more power than they already have (which is already almost all of the power).
    Correction: they DO have all the power.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

It’s pretty easy for some yayhoo to say G-5’s need to schedule at least 3 P 5’s. Reality is a lot different than fantasy and for most of us all 3 of those would be road games if you could even get them.
    Good old Memorial Gym

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I'm nervous that we're on the precipice of being forced into a new version of I-AA.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I'm nervous that we're on the precipice of being forced into a new version of I-AA.
    That's what they've wanted since the BCS days when G5s were getting too much of the pie. The day we go to that crap (1AA playoffs) again is the day I stop watching football completely.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Just because the NCAA big boys want it doesn't mean the G5s have to go along. The big boys might be able to shut us out of their "play-off" but they, by themselves, can't force a separate on on the G5s. I still say they need us so they can have 7 or 8 home games a year (how did we ever swing that - well by getting a P5 at home for one thing). If they have to play one another they will only have six home games a year and that means a loss of revenue. There are too many TV airers to shut us out of that money market now like they tried in the early 1990s.

Of course there used to be more regional sports channels but FOX bought them all. When I first got DirecTV back in the mid 1990s you could see all kinds of Div II and even some Div III games from up in the Northeast. Now all of the FOX regional channels carry the same game in a time slot. If what PD says comes to pass a lot of the G5 viewers will skip the P5 games. I think we are getting saturated with college football. I personally only watch if Tech is playing or some very few others. I have adult ADD on the "few others" and can only watch maybe a quarter. I didn't watch any of the Play-Offs, including the championship game. I really didn't give a rat's *ss to see Alabama play Georgia. Like PD vote with your money. ESPN is already is dying a slow death.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post

STEP 1 -- All G5s agree not to schedule any additional "one-off" guarantee games with P5s.

STEP 2 -- Any G5 who crosses the picket line will either be fined by their conference for the amount of the guarantee OR will forfeit any participation in their conference's postseason (championship game or bowl slots).

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    STEP 1 -- All G5s agree not to schedule any additional "one-off" guarantee games with P5s.

STEP 2 -- Any G5 who crosses the picket line will either be fined by their conference for the amount of the guarantee OR will forfeit any participation in their conference's postseason (championship game or bowl slots).
    A little drastic but it might come to that.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

The P5 practically has to have us, can you imagine if the P5's are only playing teams within their conference and in the P5, there will be no undefeated or one loss teams come playoff time. Many G5's need the P5's for money and all of us use them for exposure and the P5's really need us as much or more than we need them to fill their stadiums for home games. These P5 teams will begin cannibalizing themselves and if there is a league that happens to be getting beat up on pretty bad they are going to want to stop scheduling some of the other P5's, then they will want to re-do the playoff again. They need us for home games to sell tickets and for some easier "cupcake" games in order to have at least a 10 win record. The P5 would look more like CUSA did this year at the end of the season, a bunch of barely bowl eligible teams.

Some say that the G5 will need to schedule more P5 in order to qualify for playoffs, BS, just have the 16 team playoff and anyone team not deserving will be eliminated within the four rounds. They also want to see the G5 cut back their schedule by one game, BS on that too, we all play a full schedule and let the playoff games sort it out. Everyone has an opinion on what the playoff should look like, I think 16 teams though is as close as your going to get to being fair and giving at least one from every conference a chance to run the gauntlet and win a NC.

They need to stop screwing around with trying to figure out how 4,6, or 8 will work, it doesn't, it is still really an invitational at that point, every conference needs to be able to earn a shot and then have a few at large or wild card spots if you wanted to have a bye week for all champs and let some play for a wild card spot. There are ways to get this done, I certainly don't have all the answers but if the G5 would step up and bargain as a the group they have already been relegated to, they could get some better results. So many G5's are afraid they will get pulled off that P5 teat and not have any funding, well your future is not that bright anyway, step up, I don't think any of the G5 has anything to lose.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Really? You don't think we are already in a new version of 1-AA??

+ Reply to Thread